Thread: Trophy winners

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Trophy winners

I saw the analyst\'s picks for the trophy winners of this year last night, and I thought I\'d start a thread discussing everyone here\'s picks for the trophies that have yet to be decided.

My picks for each are:

Vezina (Outstanding Goaltender): Martin Brodeur (as much as I like Luongo for this one, Brodeur\'s record 48 wins and NHL leading 12 shutouts this year make him a lock for this I think)

Calder (Outstanding Rookie): Evgeni Malkin (Yes, Stastny did have a heck of a points streak, but Malkin delivered despite all the hype and pressure that he entered the league with. He was facing court battles at the beginning of the year, similar to Bell and Bertuzzi, but you didn\'t see his play suffer AT ALL)

Hart Memorial (MVP): Roberto Luongo (Without a doubt, he single handedly got Vancouver to the playoffs, and has made them a legit contender with only 1 1/2 scoring lines)

James Norris Memorial (Outstanding Defender): Scott Niedermayer (He and Pronger both led the Ducks outstandingly this year, but Niedermayer had a league leading 69 points, and his leadership, defensive play, and speed make him the biggest impact defender in the league)

Frank J. Selke (Outstanding Defensive Forward): Wes Walz (You don\'t ever hear much about this guy, but his defensive play stands out on a team that plays defense quite a bit. He is one of the big reasons, along with Backstrom and Gaborik, that this Minnesota team entered the playoffs at such a high seed)

Lady Byng Memorial (Sportsmanship and Gentlemanly Conduct): Martin St. Louis (Despite the fact that both Brad Richards and Pavel Datsyuk were penalized less throughout the year, I think the fact that St. Louis excelled so greatly in the offensive aspects of the game that he was 5th in the league in total points [while only having 28 penalty minutes] shows that he deserves this award)
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re:Trophy winners

I agree with you on vez, calder and norris but I think Crosby will be accepting the award for MVP. Just the way everything is going with the commercials, selling the game and everything else the league is doing trying to promote the sexy\'ness of the game. If you want to sell the game you have to give it to the star not the keeper. They want more goals, commercials, more kids buying crosby/NHL apparel... Datsyuk might get the byng aswell. But I agree with what you said about St.Louis, Lanky. Selke who knows, I think they play \'hungry hungry hippo\'s\' to see who gets that award..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

I...am your father.

My picks can be found at thefourthperiod.com

B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Benson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Kovalenko, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie, Daws
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Hanifin, Severson, Nikishin, Andrae

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think Vanny\'s coach should be awarded the JACK ADAMS, but Ruff does deserve it aswell. I think its between them. Hey Dobb\'s who wins the Selke? Or should it be decided on the game I had mentioned in my previous reply???
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..