Thread: Fraser won\'t make the playoffs

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Fraser won\'t make the playoffs

Per TSN, Kerry Fraser didn\'t make the cut to officiate in the playoffs. I\'m just curious if anyone had some insight why he was left off but Mick McGeough will be working.

It seems to me that McGeough had several game altering gaffes throughout the season, making a much more public and negative impact on the game. While Fraser hasn\'t been one of my favorite officials through the years, I honestly can\'t remember him making a call that I felt ruined a game.

So what\'s the scoop?

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re:Fraser won\'t make the playoffs

No Fraser ...

hihihi !

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I guess the NHL watched the Canucks/Sharks game on Saturday afternoon.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Isn\'t this decided by the coaches of the teams throughout the season? My understanding is that after every game both coaches rank the officials based on their performance. At the end of the year the officials with the best scores get to ref the playoffs. The system makes sense to me because you want your best officials on the ice for the most important games.

Post edited by: hoopej2, at: 2007/04/09 14:50

Dobber Sports Genius

angus wrote:
    I guess the NHL watched the Canucks/Sharks game on Saturday afternoon.
    What happened in this game ???

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I certainly can\'t remember Fraser dominating that game. Thornton not getting more than a minor for boarding was probably the biggest non-call, but since SJ lost I can\'t see that it really affected the game. I went thru a lot of beer that weekend tho, so maybe I forgot something.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I\'m usually not one to complain about reffing, but he was terrible. Not just for making weak calls, but the wrong calls. He let a lot of stuff go, and then would call similar/weaker stick infractions at more key times. I\'m sure it wasn\'t that game that did him in, but a series of them. I\'m frankly surprised that Mick is still around for the playoffs.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Prodigy

angus wrote:
    I\'m usually not one to complain about reffing, but he was terrible. Not just for making weak calls, but the wrong calls. He let a lot of stuff go, and then would call similar/weaker stick infractions at more key times. I\'m sure it wasn\'t that game that did him in, but a series of them. I\'m frankly surprised that Mick is still around for the playoffs.
    Seriously... McGeough is the worst ref in the league, bar none.

I really really hope we don\'t get him in the Sens/Pens series. He would steal the spotlight from Crosby.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

hoopej2 wrote:
    Isn\'t this decided by the coaches of the teams throughout the season? My understanding is that after every game both coaches rank the officials based on their performance. At the end of the year the officials with the best scores get to ref the playoffs. The system makes sense to me because you want your best officials on the ice for the most important games.<br><br>Post edited by: hoopej2, at: 2007/04/09 14:50
    This is only part of their ranking. Each game is also reviewed by officiating dept.(I think Stephen Walkom is heading it up now) and rankings are given through the season.

Just speculation, but Fraser has lost a step and the biggest thing about reffing is being in position. He may get away with stuff during the season but if his conditioning isn\'t up there, it will be exposed (say in a 4 OT game or something.

As for McGeough, he has naked pictures of someone with some animal or something :huh: because other than being able make wild arm gestures like a traffic cop he\'s all about being the show and not about making the right call.
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07