Thread: Goalie studs - Markstrom, Bernier, Schneider

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Goalie studs - Markstrom, Bernier, Schneider

Markstrom, Bernier, Schneider

1) who is most likely to start 50+ games in the NHL?
    2) how soon will this be?
    3) OA who is your pick in a keeper format for nhl readiness and production?
    15 team keeper league
    F - P.Marleau, B.Richards, Heatley, T. Fleishmann, Langenbrunner, T. Holmstrom, R.Whitney, Cheechoo, Voracek, Little, T. Ruutu, Kessel,
    D - Boyle, Weber, A. Edler, Zidlicky, J. Wisniewski, Kubina
    G - M. Kiprusoff, S. Varlamov, P. Rinne
    Farm: E.Karlsson, Carlson, Grabner, Repik

Dobber Sports Prodigy

schneider with bernier close. 50+ in 2011. all three with be awesome.

Dobber Sports Ace

Great post I really want know more about those goalie, the only thing I checked and I know Bernier have Quick in front of him 22 years old, Markstrom have Vokoum he is only 20 years old and Shneider have Luongo he is 24 years old.

For next year I will not think they will play a lot, maybe Schneider if Vancouver trade him, for Mackstrom Vokoum will be UFA at the end of next year and Quick stole the job to Bernier and Quick is a really good young goalie.
    10teams H2H keep 12 dress 3C,3LW,3RW,6D,2G,2uti+4bench
    G,A,PIM,PPP,SOG,HIT,BS,W,L,GAA,SV%
    C:GETZ,Pavelski,Rakell,Brassard
    RW:P.Kane,Tarasenko,Wheeler,Silfverberg,Brown
    LW:Paciorety,Mantha,Panik,Namestnikov
    D:OEL,Burns,Josi,BUFF,E.Johnson,Sergachev,Mcavoy
    G:Holtby,Dubnyk,Budaj

Dobber Sports Expert

Bernier will play around 30 games next season, and if he plays like he does right now, he could even steal some more games from Quick. I´m pretty sure Bernier will be the starter in L.A. within the next 3 years.

Schneider seems to be a good prospects, but without a trade or an injury he won´t have much fantasy value in the next 4-5 years.

Markstrom is hyped at the moment, but we all learned that the monster is more "human" than some thought when he signed with the leafs. I´m not sold on Markstrom and i still see him as a risky pick. He still has to adjust his game to NHL standards, and even if he´s as good as expected, this could take him some years.

So for the next 3-4 years i´d take Bernier without a doubt!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

schneider's a rfa at the end of the year I believe so he will be traded or lost to an offer sheet.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Bernier with back to back shutouts this weekend.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Some look at Markstrom as the best talent, but remember he's on Florida which currently limits his fantasy upside (as it once did for Luongo and currently does for Vokoun). Bernier is the other young goalies that I say on that top level, and he's a got a clearer shot at fantasy success with a good young team and w/o a clear roadblock in front of him (Quick's been okay, but not all that great).

Schneider is more of a wild card. Pretty good prospect, but no clear cut playing time and uncertain future. I suspect he's traded soon, but to where will make a huge impact on what he might become.

I'd rank them Bernier, Markstrom, and then Schneider.

The former two I would expect top get 50+ games w/in two years.
    10 Team Keeper Roto League (G, A, +/-, PIMs, Shots, Defensive Points, GAA, Sv %, Wins) - Keep 10 each year
    23 man roster, plus 3 man IR: start 4 of each forward position, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, 3 man bench

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post

Markstrom is hyped at the moment, but we all learned that the monster is more "human" than some thought when he signed with the leafs. I´m not sold on Markstrom and i still see him as a risky pick. He still has to adjust his game to NHL standards, and even if he´s as good as expected, this could take him some years.

So for the next 3-4 years i´d take Bernier without a doubt!
    Gonna have to disagree.

I have both Bernier and Markstrom and I think Markstrom will be better right out of the gate.

Too much emphasis is put on the World Junior Tournament in my opinion. This is where most of the negative comment towards Markstrom have stemmed from. I for one thought he played well with a couple of gaffes. Still I think he was better than Campbell and Bobkov and either of Canada's goalies. I didn't see enough of the Swiss goalie to have an opinion but obviously he must have been lights out.

I have followed him with Brynas in the SEL and he now leads their league in GAA and save percentage. Keep in mind that there are a few ex NHLers there right now. (Holmquist for one). His team is in the middle of the standings despite giving up the second most shots this year.

Vokoun has been hot lately but so has Quick so I think thats a wash.

Just my opin. Good thread though, it's nice to see the differing opinions on players and others impressions of players. A few guys on this site I tend to really respect their ideas, so when that differs from mine i have to take a step back re-evaluate.
    20 team keeper: 20 players. no farm.
    Goals=2 pts---Assists=1 pt-----DG=3-----Wins=3.5-----SO=4

G: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen....Bobrovsky
    D: Fox....Bouchard....Letang....Heiskanen....Perunovi ch....Zellweger....Toews....Ekholm

F: Eichel....Caufield....J Robertson....W Nylander....Kucherov
    Eklund....W Johnston....Peterka....Fiala....Bratt

2012 Third Place
    2013 Runner Up
    2014 Iron League Champion
    2015 Iron League Champion
    2016 Runner-Up
    2017 Third Place

2018 4th
    2019 18th-rebuild

2020 10th
    2021 8th
    2022 7th
    2023 Third Place

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Princeton View Post
    Gonna have to disagree.

I have both Bernier and Markstrom and I think Markstrom will be better right out of the gate.

Too much emphasis is put on the World Junior Tournament in my opinion. This is where most of the negative comment towards Markstrom have stemmed from. I for one thought he played well with a couple of gaffes. Still I think he was better than Campbell and Bobkov and either of Canada's goalies. I didn't see enough of the Swiss goalie to have an opinion but obviously he must have been lights out.

I have followed him with Brynas in the SEL and he now leads their league in GAA and save percentage. Keep in mind that there are a few ex NHLers there right now. (Holmquist for one). His team is in the middle of the standings despite giving up the second most shots this year.

Vokoun has been hot lately but so has Quick so I think thats a wash.

Just my opin. Good thread though, it's nice to see the differing opinions on players and others impressions of players. A few guys on this site I tend to really respect their ideas, so when that differs from mine i have to take a step back re-evaluate.
    Gotta agree with Princeton here. Markstrom is the best talent here. I also believe Vokunn will be moved sometime between this offseason and the end of next year. He could nab some good young talent from a contending team needing a vet Goalie.

Dobber Sports Expert

I never said Markstrom isn´t talented but he hasn´t played a second on north american ice, so i wouldn´t expect to much. Especially if you have a guy like Bernier, who´s having a great season in the AHL.

I have seen to many european players who were hyped like crazy and disapperead after 2 or 3 years.

Markstrom could be different, but Bernier is by far the safer choice here, and even if both goalies are as good as projected, Bernier wouldn´t be far behind Markstrom, but still on a team with a better future!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    I never said Markstrom isn´t talented but he hasn´t played a second on north american ice, so i wouldn´t expect to much. Especially if you have a guy like Bernier, who´s having a great season in the AHL.

I have seen to many european players who were hyped like crazy and disapperead after 2 or 3 years.

Markstrom could be different, but Bernier is by far the safer choice here, and even if both goalies are as good as projected, Bernier wouldn´t be far behind Markstrom, but still on a team with a better future!
    I know this might not be the way you meant it, but he did play on NA sized ice during the 2 past WJC's.

Anyhow, Markstrom and Bernier are the 2 that attract the most attention in that list. If some think both are equal now, remember that Markstrom is only 20, and Bernier is 22, so that changes things going forward. I have Markstrom and was overjoyed to have him. Aside from Salak, which Markstrom will probably push aside, he doesn't have much competition when he should be here (Vokoun will be gone in 2 years. Enough time for Markstrom to be in the AHL and backup duties).

Scheider is interesting, but until traded, he's not worth that much. Just like Harding (although Harding is older iirc).
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)