Thread: My Mason Analysis

The King of Diatribes

Default My Mason Analysis

And there you have it ... two games since Hitch started his new goalie "approach" and two losses in a row.

Here's the worst part about it - Mason actually played REALLY well in the loss to Dallas. He only let in one goal in the first or last five minutes of a period and other than that he was as sharp as could be.

Now what???? Does he get benched for that??????? All because of the loss????? Are you serious????

Double-edged sword. Either Hitch gives it up right now and puts Mason in the next game to try and build on the rhythm he had against Dallas or he abolishes Mason to the bench, destroys all rhythm he had built up and puts Garon in again as is part of the new approach.

This might just be the most ******ed thing I've seen in a long time.

Oh wait ........ Carlyle pulling Hiller with like 8 minutes left in the game was pretty ******ed........almost as ******ed as starting him in both back-to-back games after the one in Colorado started late (8p instead of 7p).

Don't start a goalie in both games of a back-to-back situation and then pull him with minutes remaining in the game all because he is off or seems tired. WTF do you expect??

Dobber Sports Prodigy

We expect PERFECTION, damnit!

It actually makes me wonder. I realize this is kind of silly, but what would Hitch do if Columbus gets to a shootout in a 0-0 game and loses? There's no way you couldn't start Mason again!
    Last edited by byz; December 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

I forgot to mention I really appreciated that article Justin. Very well written with good information.

Hitch is a horrible handler of young players.

The King of Diatribes

Thanks buddy, glad you enjoyed it and thanks for reading.

Looks like Garon got the loss tonight against Detroit. Wish I could have watched it. If anyone did, can you speak about how he played? Was it a positive performance or were both of Bertuzzi's goals pretty weak?

Again, I have to question this new "approach" ... now BOTH goalies may have played well in a one-goal loss, and both are being benched for it.

How much longer will this hold up...well I guess until a goalie wins...but can either of these guys win two in a row? Not the way the team in front of them is playing right now.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Caught a bit of the game - most of my attentions were focused on Neuvy.

Garon was pretty good in net - looked like he is starting to get a bit of a rhythm going (Maybe because he has played 2 games in 2 weeks!! :O) *Shakes Head*

But after he let in that first Bertuzzi mid way through the second he changed. He started playing deeper and looked less confident. I'd almost say it looked like he was playing scared - but maybe that was just my minds playing tricks.

He made some good saves, but the Wings offense was weak/poor and the Jackets should have won that game. 2nd half of the game Garon was outplayed by Howard - so... yeah.

I would throw him back in again if it was me - he showed a lot of positives and can only improve next time around. But if Mason goes back out, then Garon has a higher chance of losing touch.

Meh - everyone knows my opinion on Hitchcock. He clearly struggles with player development, which would have to be my favorite part of hockey.

The Jackets have still only won 1 game ALL month long.

The King of Diatribes

Shutout against Detroit was quality.

Tonight against NYI he looked shaky through most of the game but that's mainly because he didn't face many shots. He was good in OT though. But got burned by Schremp in the shootout.

Ironically, Roloson was spectacular again and made 40+ saves for another win for the Islanders!!

Not a 0-0 shootout loss, but I guess Garon is in net for the next game. Again, this is a HUGE mistake as Mason has played well in the last two games and only given up 1 goal.

Think Hitch tosses out the new approach and starts Mason in the next game???

Administrator

He better damn well play him!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more Justin, this goalie rotation is just stupidity.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

The King of Diatribes

My god, this is terrible ... but Garon is in for the next game.

I have to think that Hitch is already questioning his own new approach. Two great games for Mason, he gets jobbed in a shootout loss and is being BENCHED for it. Can't do much more than he did in the 2-1 shootout loss to the Isles and a red-hot Roloson....

LAME AND STUPPIDDDDDD.

Dobber Sports Icon

Dont forget Hitch has got a huge ego! He plays mindgames with his players. It works well at first but eventually its old hat and the players tune out.

The "Fire Hitch" watch is on...tick....tick....tick.

The King of Diatribes

This new approach for Hitch has to be the most epic fail of the last three years. It's terrible and it needs to end right now.

Play Garon three straight games. If he's not on a roll, try Mason.

This is fricken terrible.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hitch has broken the 'win and your in' approach though.

Mason started 2 in row a few games back and lost them both.

It was awesome... he broke the news in the locker room by saying 'Mase is playing good so we are going to ride him for as long as we can'

Must have made Garon feel GREAT!

Heres a thought... try starting a goaltender not named Mason for 2 games in a row.

I am completely shocked that - as bad as Mason is playing (league worst in goaltender efficiency) - Garon has yet to start 2 straight.

Seriously coach... wtf ARE you paying attention to?

Dobber Sports Ace

Interesting thing to consider: Last year, there were no issues with how Hitchcock was "handling" Mason. What is that?

If anything, he might have played him too much, especially around the time he had mono, he might have worn him down for the stretch when he needed to be regaining his strength.

But when you think about it, Columbus really had no other options in goal last year other than to ride Mason. Leclaire was hurt, Norrena was horrible and ended up on waivers, then they scooped up Dubielewicz (yes, I looked up how to spell that) off waivers. The only other goalie who played well for Columbus last year was minor league call-up Dan Lacosta.

Even though I'm a Mason owner, I was glad to see Columbus sign Garon in the offseason because I thought Mason needed someone to push him and someone to provide quality minutes.

However, I agree that Hitchcock has not used Garon and Mason well this year. He has not taken advantage of what Garon has to offer the team and to Mason.

A coach should always reward good play. A goalie can play well and lose, that's why I've never been a fan of using wins to gauge a goalie. It's like a pitcher in baseball. Sometimes you can pitch well, but if you don't get run support, you don't win.

"Some goalies just win" is a phrase you often hear in hockey. Some goalies turn it up a notch when the game is close and play better. But for the most part, wins and losses are a reflection of every player on the team -- including the goalie.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by GoalieGuild View Post
    This new approach for Hitch has to be the most epic fail of the last three years. It's terrible and it needs to end right now.

Play Garon three straight games. If he's not on a roll, try Mason.

This is fricken terrible.
    Garon is starting tomorrow for the 3rd straight game. You think Hitchcock finally woke up?
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

The King of Diatribes

Yeah because Garon has won both of his previous two starts. But this looks like it could be the big chance Garon was waiting for .... his first time getting 3 straight starts in who knows how long exactly but I've been documenting it time and time again. Let's see how he does!!!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Only took him 45 games to figure it out...

Thats not in the region of 'mentally ******ed' at all