Thread: goalie games per week thoughts

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default goalie games per week thoughts

Do a lot of people in your leagues use the minimum goalie games per week to their advantage if they have say two goalies have awesome games early on in the week. In my pool I have noticed that teams will do this and then just wait for their next best goalie matchup during the week (we have a min of 3 goalie games per week). Is this common?

Any way to get around it besides moving the min games up?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yes its common, and why would you want to find a way around it? It shows that the gm is dedicating himself to winning and keeping up with the league daily......

Its really no different then if it came down to the final day or two and a gm was ahead by by only 1 or 2 in +/-, but was easily ahead in most other offensive categories.....the gm would need to decide if its worth playing certain players who are prone to poor +/- or just sit them and not take a chance.

Or if you have a fighter and are behind in pims, you need to decide if its worth playing the fighter and sitting a goal scorer or assist player.

Why change rules that are the same for everyone?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

We use Games Started as a category in our league on ESPN to try and encourage playing your goalies. I don't think ESPN offers minimum goalie starts functionality, but it's possible they've added it this year, I haven't checked.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The only real way to avoid this "issue" is to change you league from a daily roster to a weekly....that way gms decide at the befinning of the week and cant change it after seeing results unfold.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Actually adding a stat like Saves can often be enough incentive to have guys start their goalies more frequently.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Actually adding a stat like Saves can often be enough incentive to have guys start their goalies more frequently.
    This does help but this question makes me realize why I prefer points based leagues over Roto. I also like the points weighted so that top Dmen and goalies can make the same amount of points as the good forwards such as AO and company.

I just find the points more fun and makes you play the goalies because you need the points to win the H2H than in a roto league where you can have 2 shutouts and then sit your goalies the rest of the week.
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11