Thread: Draft 10/11 PM - Need Advice!

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Draft 10/11 PM - Need Advice!

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade in all areas, particularly in goal, defense, and maybe forward.

Available Options:

1) Goal: Hiller, S. Mason, Anderson, Varlamov, Rinne, Smith, Quick, Emery, I am likely dropping Turco
    2) Defense: Edler, MDZ, Gilbert, Barker, Tyutin, Grebeshkov, Hedman, Seabrook, Quincey, Goligoski, Karlsson
    3) Forwards: Pavelski, Wilson, Duchene, Booth, Setoguchi, Eriksson, Giroux, Little, Shirokov

My full team is shown under my signature.

Opinions on strengths & weaknesses of my team and draft strategy?? I am picking 5th and have five picks. I currently have 26 players with a 28 man roster.

Thanks!
    8 Team HTH League - one year - 19 Active (10 F, 5 D, 1 Util, 3 G), 5 Bench, 2 IR: Skaters: G: 3 A: 2 +/-: 0.5 PIM: 0.3 PPG: 1 PPA: 0.5 SHG: 2 SHA: 1 GWG 1 FOW: 0.1 HAT: 7 SOG: 0.1 HIT: 0.1 BLK: 0.2
    Goalies: W: 5 GA: -1 SV: 0.2 SO: 4 OTL: 2
    Team:
    F: Tavares, Barkov, O'Reilly, Zibanejad, R. Johansen, W. Karlsson, Laine, Oshie, Konecny, JT Miller, Killorn, Palmieri, E. Staal, W. Nylander
    D: J. Carlson, Giordano, Pietrangelo, Letang, Theodore, Klefbom, Q. Hughes, Krug
    G: F. Andersen, Rinne, Jarry, Raanta

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would want to upgrade in goal and forward if I was you. Your d looks pretty solid through the top 4 but there does not look like there is anything that really jumps out at me that you should pick up in the early rounds.

Goalie is DEFINITELY the first place that you need to address. If you can possibly trade up and get Mason, that would be absolutely amazing. He is young, the job is his and he is going to be very good for a long time. Beyond that, Varlamov probably has the edge long term over Hiller and Rinne but Hiller will give you help right now. Also, you might not be so bad taking a flyer on Anderson. He is never going to keep up the great numbers that he has been putting up, with the exception of the sv%. He is going to see a ton of shots this year and the more shots he see's the better his sv% is going to be.

As for the forwards, Seto is no doubt the first pick that you are going to make. Young and on the top line in San Jose where a traffic cone could get 65 points. Beyond that, I would rank them Pavelski, Duchene, Giroux, Little, Eriksson, Booth, Wilson, Shirokov

Hope this helps

good luck
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

Dobber Sports Veteran

Goalies: Mason….. Emery, Hiller, Quick, Rinne…. the rest.
    D: Goligoski, Barker, Hedman,……Edler, Gilbert, Del Zotto…. The rest
    F: Setoguchi… Little, Eriksson… Giroux, Pavelski, Duchane…. The rest

To me the 5th overall pick is Mason if need a goalie. Although I am not used to thinking aboug save % only so that may skew my assessment. Setoguchi would like pretty good as your 3rd RW.

This is assuming you are in the running this year. If you aren't guys like Duchane, Giroux, Hedman move up the list.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bballplyr321 View Post
    I would want to upgrade in goal and forward if I was you. Your d looks pretty solid through the top 4 but there does not look like there is anything that really jumps out at me that you should pick up in the early rounds.

Goalie is DEFINITELY the first place that you need to address. If you can possibly trade up and get Mason, that would be absolutely amazing. He is young, the job is his and he is going to be very good for a long time. Beyond that, Varlamov probably has the edge long term over Hiller and Rinne but Hiller will give you help right now. Also, you might not be so bad taking a flyer on Anderson. He is never going to keep up the great numbers that he has been putting up, with the exception of the sv%. He is going to see a ton of shots this year and the more shots he see's the better his sv% is going to be.

As for the forwards, Seto is no doubt the first pick that you are going to make. Young and on the top line in San Jose where a traffic cone could get 65 points. Beyond that, I would rank them Pavelski, Duchene, Giroux, Little, Eriksson, Booth, Wilson, Shirokov

Hope this helps

good luck
    Thanks bballplyr321. Who would you cut to have room for the five picks? I currently have three open spots assuming I cut Turco. I need to draft two goalies with those three picks and I will need to cut two more to be able to use the five picks.
    8 Team HTH League - one year - 19 Active (10 F, 5 D, 1 Util, 3 G), 5 Bench, 2 IR: Skaters: G: 3 A: 2 +/-: 0.5 PIM: 0.3 PPG: 1 PPA: 0.5 SHG: 2 SHA: 1 GWG 1 FOW: 0.1 HAT: 7 SOG: 0.1 HIT: 0.1 BLK: 0.2
    Team:
    F: Tavares, Barkov, O'Reilly, Zibanejad, R. Johansen, W. Karlsson, Laine, Oshie, Konecny, JT Miller, Killorn, Palmieri, E. Staal, W. Nylander
    D: J. Carlson, Giordano, Pietrangelo, Letang, Theodore, Klefbom, Q. Hughes, Krug

Dobber Sports Novice

Any other thoughts before my draft tonight?
    Team:

Dobber Sports Padawan

Depending on who you are able to grab, I would cut Cogliano, Ruutu and Russell. I might not be so quick to drop Turco. He cannot possibly have a season as bad as last year and I think if he bounces back, he will be able to help you out or you could trade him. I know that all three of these guys are young but the players that you would be drafting are also young and are already out-producing the guys that you would be cutting.

Good luck tonight. Let us know how it goes.
    8 Team Keeper - Year 3
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,GWG,SOG,FOW,FOL,BS,W,GS,GA,GAA,SV %,SHO
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 3Utl, 2G
    25 Man Roster, Keep All

C - Getzlaf, Tavares, J.Staal(LW), Duchene, RNH, Crosby
    LW - Kovalchuk, Hall, Benn, Hartnell, E.Kane
    RW - P.Kane, Seguin, Yakupov, Eberle, OV
    D - Keith, E.Johnson, Carlson, Karlsson, Burns
    G - Rask, Schneider, Rinne

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks, I'll let you know how I do.
    Team:

Dobber Sports Novice

Default My draft results

Overall, I am very happy with my draft results. Here were my adds/changes:

Round 1: Steve Mason
    Round 2: Alex Goligoski
    Round 3: Michael Del Zotto
    Round 4: Joe Pavelski
    Round 5: Jonathan Quick
    Round 5: Jamie Benn
    Round 6 (trade for FA money): Cam Barker

I cut Tuommo Ruutu, Chris Russell and Marty Turco and put Joe Pavelski on IR.

Thanks for all the input.
    Team: