Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Filatov Owners who hate Ken Hitchcock

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

But I like this read better...not to steal the thread so please continue to post here. Sorry GPY. I'm with you though.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Well, last year was Setoguchi's second year in the league and he had a full major junior career and some AHL time, but I think that I get your point.

I am not suggesting that every player should jump to the NHL with limited minutes, but nor do I think that ever player should necessarily grind it out riding greyhounds and eating fast food in the AHL. Some learn to be a pro at the NHL level. Clearly they think there is value with him being on the team, working out, and practicing with the group.

Filatov does not strike me as a player that needs tons on minutes to refine his game, more a guy that needs to be more aware of danger areas, the more subtle aspects of the NHL game, and some bulk that will be and aided by a closely monitored diet/conditioning.

It is only game 2. If it was game 68 and he was still seeing 7 minutes a night, I might tend to agree with you.

Furthermore, if my suspicions are correct that he was benched both games due to poor decisions on the ice, he was on pace to play ~12 minutes each game.

Dobber Sports Ace

I completely disagree with the comments regarding his conditioning/diet. Filatov is ripped and one of the best conditioned players on the team. This is a shot of him at the 2008 NHL combine...he has since put on 15 pounds of muscle: http://i29.tinypic.com/1zczqdl.jpg

He may need more training and "studying" time...but you can study until your eyes bleed and it won't be as effective as more experience. He needs to play to gain experience...they are afraid to send him down to the AHL because he may leave for the KHL...he told their beat reporter that he was happy as long as he was in the NHL.
    8 Team Roto League (1-year)
    Cats: G A +/- PIMs PPP SHP SOG SH% HIT BLK GAA SV% SVS W SO
    F: Ovechkin, Stamkos, Giroux, Perry, Tavares, Eriksson, Benn, Jagr, Heatley, Alfredsson, Roy, Hanzal
    D: Phaneuf, Del Zotto, Kulikov, I. White, Goligoski, Niskanen
    G: M. Smith, Emery
    BN: C. Stewart, J. Staal, Read, Brouwer, Ward, Hedberg, Pavelec, Bachman
    IR: Letang, Giordano

Dobber Sports Icon

Interesting post on PuckRakers on this topic:

"Hitchcock Makes Right Move
    Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock is fond of saying it's his job to "protect" young players. He usually says it as he's scratching a skilled rookie or dropping him in the lineup.

There are times when forwards like Nikita Filatov, Jake Voracek and Derick Brassard probably wish Hitchcock didn't take the Papa Bear role so seriously. There also are times when they must think it's simply an excuse to get a veteran in the lineup.

Hitchcock's latest decision -- dropping Brassard from first-line center to second-line center -- is well-timed and well played. While the Jackets have won their first two games, Brassard has struggled to create offense alongside captain Rick Nash and Kristian Huselius. He has no points, two shots and a minus-1 rating while averaging 17 minutes, 34 seconds of ice time.

The top line has enjoyed no sustained offensive pressure in wins over Minnesota and Vancouver. Hitchcock will elevate Antoine Vermette to the top unit. (No, he's not asking the Sharks to borrow Manny Malhotra for a one-night reunion.)

The timing couldn't be better. The team is winning, the players are happy and Brassard gets to play with Filatov and Voracek. It won't feel like a demotion -- and it shouldn't. Brassard, 22, has the skills and constitution of a No. 1 center. But it's not an seamless transition for a veteran of 50 NHL games.

There are higher expectations and more difficult match-ups on the first line. Brassard knew that going into opening night, but nothing teaches like experience.

"You're talking about a player who, for all intents and purposes, is still a first-year player," Hitchcock told Aaron Portzline on Wednesday. "To put (Brassard) up against the big dogs every night, it's a little bit of man overload."

Last season, Hitchcock placed Brassard and Voracek on a third line with Jason Chimera despite outstanding training camps. Some scratched their heads. The unit thrived.

There's a perception that Hitchcock doesn't like young players. That's inaccurate. True, he loves veterans -- show me a coach who doesn't -- and he wants to put youngsters in the best position to succeed. It's why Filatov is playing second-line left wing in the first half of games, and watching Raffi Torres do it down the stretch. In time, Filatov will likely earn Hitchcock's confidence.

Tonight, Brassard can center the youthful second line and let Vermette, a two-way forward, deal with Jumbo Joe Thornton. Brassard gains a little confidence and the Jackets gain a better match-up.

It's a smart play all the way around.

-- Tom Reed
    [email protected]
    Twitter: @Tomba19"

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Nice pinup shook. Firstly, I can appriciate that you think he looks good without a shirt on, but he is still developing and needs to add mass/bulk to his frame. I was certainly not trying to suggest that he needs to trim fat or lose weight. It is my impression that this is best served under the watchful eyes of professional trainers at the NHL level.

Secondly, he is playing.

Thirdly, I am not going to quote the artilce, but I disagree with your intrepretation of the interview I think that you are referring to.

I see Brassard, Filatov and Voracek are penciled in to start on a line together tonight so maybe the lynching can stop for a few hours lol.
    Last edited by Puck Crosby; October 8, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hmm I wonder if this changes much for Brassard? This line would be killer anyway, and I think that Brassard would actually help them more then Vermette would. That said - Vermette's production would go up playing with Nash. He could put up 60+ pts if both these lines click. They would both make Cls an interesting team.

I want to pickup Vermette now for his Faceoff potential...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sorry if this is off topic, but I don’t think that Brassard is a great faceoff guy and Thornton’s rocking almost 75% (not sure about the other SJ centres) and I don’t think that it makes sense to have your top line starting without the puck most times. I would not expect this to be a perminant change.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Interesting post on PuckRakers on this topic:

"Hitchcock Makes Right Move
    Blue Jackets coach Ken Hitchcock is fond of saying it's his job to "protect" young players. He usually says it as he's scratching a skilled rookie or dropping him in the lineup.

There are times when forwards like Nikita Filatov, Jake Voracek and Derick Brassard probably wish Hitchcock didn't take the Papa Bear role so seriously. There also are times when they must think it's simply an excuse to get a veteran in the lineup.

Hitchcock's latest decision -- dropping Brassard from first-line center to second-line center -- is well-timed and well played. While the Jackets have won their first two games, Brassard has struggled to create offense alongside captain Rick Nash and Kristian Huselius. He has no points, two shots and a minus-1 rating while averaging 17 minutes, 34 seconds of ice time.

The top line has enjoyed no sustained offensive pressure in wins over Minnesota and Vancouver. Hitchcock will elevate Antoine Vermette to the top unit. (No, he's not asking the Sharks to borrow Manny Malhotra for a one-night reunion.)

The timing couldn't be better. The team is winning, the players are happy and Brassard gets to play with Filatov and Voracek. It won't feel like a demotion -- and it shouldn't. Brassard, 22, has the skills and constitution of a No. 1 center. But it's not an seamless transition for a veteran of 50 NHL games.

There are higher expectations and more difficult match-ups on the first line. Brassard knew that going into opening night, but nothing teaches like experience.

"You're talking about a player who, for all intents and purposes, is still a first-year player," Hitchcock told Aaron Portzline on Wednesday. "To put (Brassard) up against the big dogs every night, it's a little bit of man overload."

Last season, Hitchcock placed Brassard and Voracek on a third line with Jason Chimera despite outstanding training camps. Some scratched their heads. The unit thrived.

There's a perception that Hitchcock doesn't like young players. That's inaccurate. True, he loves veterans -- show me a coach who doesn't -- and he wants to put youngsters in the best position to succeed. It's why Filatov is playing second-line left wing in the first half of games, and watching Raffi Torres do it down the stretch. In time, Filatov will likely earn Hitchcock's confidence.

Tonight, Brassard can center the youthful second line and let Vermette, a two-way forward, deal with Jumbo Joe Thornton. Brassard gains a little confidence and the Jackets gain a better match-up.

It's a smart play all the way around.

-- Tom Reed
    [email protected]

Twitter: @Tomba19"
    Nice write-up!
    14 Team Keeper League (Keep 6 players)

- 9F, 4D, 1G
    - Salary Cap $89.6 Million using Annual Salary
    - Players 1 pt: G/A
    - Goalies 2 pts: W, 3 pts: SO

F: Thompson, Fiala, Bratt, Debrincat, Boldy
    D: Fox

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

can we write the guy a petition demanding mroe ice time for Filatov? who's in?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

I think 'thrived' is a stretch but this article does make a good point about putting young players in positions where they aren't pressured so they can develop and hone their game. What he's ignoring however is that you cant stifle these players on the 3rd/4th line or they simply dont get enough TOI to grow. And Hitch DOES really over-favor his veterans, as a Voracek owner I was livid all last year, because unlike alot of other youngsters, Voracek works hard on both sides of the puck, can play physical and work the boards and he doesn't make many mistakes, that kind of play is supposed to earn you ice time, when it doesnt, what kind of message are you sending to the young player?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm not buying that article. Hitch is what he is and I'm not going to defend his tiny balls that are too afraid to go with a kid. If Filatov was blowing defensive coverage etc. sure, but it hasn't played out that way at all.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Cool

Filatov got less than 7 minutes last night. Hitch is truely an idiot!!
    13 Team Keeper League:
    1 point for goal/assist, 2 point's goalie win, 4 points goalie shutout
    count top 8 forwards, 4 defence, 2 goalies

Forwards- KOVALCHUK, THORNTON, RIBEIRO, GAGNER, J Cater
    Selanne, Getzlaf, Kesler, Nash, Richards, Briere, Gaborik,
    Defence- VISNOVSKY,GILBERT, Byfuglien, Chara, Leopold, Clitsome, Rundblad
    Goalies- LUNDQVIST, KIPRUSOFF

Copper and Blue Through and Through
    Go Oilers!!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Fil has more TOI after 1 period tonight than he did half way through the 3rd the other day haha

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Markstrom Fan View Post
    Fil has more TOI after 1 period tonight than he did half way through the 3rd the other day haha
    and then it stopped. I can understand breaking him in. But I can't understand him getting less ice time than every player on the roster. That's not helping him.
    10 Team Keeper Roto League (G, A, +/-, PIMs, Shots, Defensive Points, GAA, Sv %, Wins) - Keep 10 each year
    23 man roster, plus 3 man IR: start 4 of each forward position, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, 3 man bench

Dobber Sports Star

Yeah, he ended up with a whopping 4:49 tonight. It's getting worse ... not better.
    10 Team H2H Points-based Keeper League

G, A, PIM, SOG, +/-
    W, SO, SV, GA

C: H. Sedin, Stamkos, Backstrom, Duchene, Granlund
    LW: D. Sedin, Landeskog, B. Schenn, Tatar, Boedker
    RW: P. Kane, Voracek, Hudler, Silfverberg, Toffoli
    D: Ehrhoff, Edler, Franson, Del Zotto, Myers, R. Ellis, Hamonic
    G: Quick, Bishop, Holtby, Peters, M. Jones

Farm: Terevainen, Nurse, Raanta

League Champion: 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014

12 Team Roto Dynasty League Champion: 2011 and 2013