Thread: Bogosian an Alternate Captain

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Bogosian an Alternate Captain

Just thought this was interesting - a great vote of confidence for the youngster.

Dobber Sports Guru

interesting. i love this kid.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Talking El Capitano

I hate it when pimple-faced young guys are expected to lead professional teams. Where are the veterans (haha 24-28 year olds)? Bogosian hasn't even played a full season.

I think Team Captains and the Assistants should only get the letter if they are deserving. Being a talented player does not warrant a letter. It's so god damned political nowadays.

While there are some decent young choices as Captains, Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews (although he is mature, he probably is too young as well) come to mind. Crosby should NOT be Captain yet, he still does some questionable things and would likely welcome just playing instead of trying to play Captain. He would still lead by example on the ice without a letter.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I hate it when pimple-faced young guys are expected to lead professional teams. Where are the veterans (haha 24-28 year olds)? Bogosian hasn't even played a full season.

I think Team Captains and the Assistants should only get the letter if they are deserving. Being a talented player does not warrant a letter. It's so god damned political nowadays.

While there are some decent young choices as Captains, Mike Richards and Jonathan Toews (although he is mature, he probably is too young as well) come to mind. Crosby should NOT be Captain yet, he still does some questionable things and would likely welcome just playing instead of trying to play Captain. He would still lead by example on the ice without a letter.

Just my $0.02 worth.
    I disagree with your assessment of Crosby as captain. He's been the captain two years - two trips to the finals, one cup.

Plus, since Crosby's become captain his defensive play and faceoff abilities have steadily improved.

Dobber Sports Ace

Sometimes a C or A can turn a young player into a man very quickly and make them understand that their role is important everywhere, not just on the ice. Helps keep them focused and out of trouble. That assumes they have respect for the letter, otherwise I agree with the Commish
    10 Team Salary Cap Keeper League-protect up to 15
    Total of points and +/-; position vs. position (ie. my 2 Centres vs. his 2 Centres)
    C -Crosby, Ribeiro, Strome, Granlund
    LW -Neal, Nyquist, Johansson, TBD
    RW -Coyle, Eberle, TBD, TBD
    D -Streit, Phaneuf, Green, Keith, Letang, TBD
    G -S. Mason, TBD

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by drury2396 View Post
    I disagree with your assessment of Crosby as captain. He's been the captain two years - two trips to the finals, one cup.

Plus, since Crosby's become captain his defensive play and faceoff abilities have steadily improved.
    drury2396, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing Crosby's job as Captain, the results speak for themselves. Of course his defensive play and faceoffs have steadily improved, no different than any young player coming into the league - they improve the more they figure out the league. It has nothing to do with his being Captain of the ship.

Putting that extra responsibility on a young player, no matter how talented is a huge burden that HAS to affect the way they play.

Do you think Crosby would try any less harder to lead by example on the ice? No, me neither. Crosby is driven to be the best by something inside him, not by a letter sewn on to his jersey. It's almost irresponsible for the Pens to pin that responsibility on him at such a young age.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    drury2396, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing Crosby's job as Captain, the results speak for themselves. Of course his defensive play and faceoffs have steadily improved, no different than any young player coming into the league - they improve the more they figure out the league. It has nothing to do with his being Captain of the ship.

Putting that extra responsibility on a young player, no matter how talented is a huge burden that HAS to affect the way they play.

Do you think Crosby would try any less harder to lead by example on the ice? No, me neither. Crosby is driven to be the best by something inside him, not by a letter sewn on to his jersey. It's almost irresponsible for the Pens to pin that responsibility on him at such a young age.
    I agree with everything you said about Crosby (improvement, driven by something inside him, leader by example) - which is why I think he was and is suited to be a captain.

All a matter of perspective, I guess.