View Poll Results: Would you be interested in an AHL prospect evaluation?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

11 100.00%
  • NO

0 0%

Thread: AHL prospect evaluation.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default AHL prospect evaluation.

Hey Dobberites,

How many of you get a chance to actually watch your prospects in action? Now based on the number of members and the dedication we all seem to have when it comes to fantasy hockey, I will estimate that 30 - 35% of you do. This thread should appeal to the rest of you.

I am lucky enough to live 5 minutes away from the AHL Abbotsford Heat (Calgary's farm team) and I have purchased half-seasons tickets (21 games) for next season. I intend to go to every game but I have donated a couple to local charities.

Here's what I would like to offer my fellow Dobberites.

If the interest is there I will personally watch your rookie and provide detailed feedback on the game.

Now stats are one thing, you can get those for yourself But while the stats don't provide on the ice action for that player, I hope to.

A poll has been set up to gauge the interest and dependant on the results I will then work out the details.

Cheers

six
    Last edited by sixhands; September 5, 2009 at 8:47 PM.
    Keeper-G/A/PPG/SHG/GWG/W/SO
    C-Steen-Pavelski-Stepan-Bergeron-Malkin
    L-Ovechkin-Johansson-Ladd-Eriksson
    R-Perry-Backes-Wheeler-Hornqvist-Nash
    D-Burns-Byfuglien-Letang-Shattenkirk-Vatanen
    G-Andersen-Luongo
    Farm-Condon-Horvat-Namestnikov-Walman-Murray(G)

Think you can write fiction? Enter this quarterly competition.
    http://www.flash500.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I would virtually kiss your feet if you could keep me updated on the progress of Mikael Backlund. Ever since he left Sweden, I can't watch him regularly anymore. Irving would also be interesting to follow. Nemisz isn't due for the AHL for another year, right?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    I would virtually kiss your feet if you could keep me updated on the progress of Mikael Backlund. Ever since he left Sweden, I can't watch him regularly anymore. Irving would also be interesting to follow. Nemisz isn't due for the AHL for another year, right?
    Hey sentium, seeing as how you were the first to reply (not to mention that you are also a respected member of the forum, I am honoured by the way) I will provide as much info on Backlund as possible.

Dobber has him as a 45% favourite to crack the line up though so I may not actually get to see him play

I'll let you know which dates I have closer to the start of the season.

cheers

six
    G-Andersen-Luongo

Dobber Sports Stud

Absolutely sixhands! Whenever a fellow poster can provide anylsis from in the rink and live is great. We all know that no one is a professional scout as we would have moved on to biggier and better things, but I always value another's opinion and being a Flames fan would love the posts. Great!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
    Absolutely sixhands! Whenever a fellow poster can provide anylsis from in the rink and live is great. We all know that no one is a professional scout as we would have moved on to biggier and better things, but I always value another's opinion and being a Flames fan would love the posts. Great!
    Absolutely correct, consider this a rookie watching another rookie

I will do my best and the way I see it, nothing ventured nothing gained.

I'll start working on the details as there is some interest.

The first game I am going to is a pre-season game against the Manitoba Moose at the end of September, I'm looking forward to watching Cory Schneider as well

Stay tuned!
    G-Andersen-Luongo

Dobber Sports Ace

I live halfway between the Giants and Flames in the lowermainland and can't wait to see some games depending on my schedule and always love the input of other posters as well.

Will be great to see some AHL games live
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)

Dobber Sports Veteran

This would be cooler than Arnold Schwarzenegger in Batman and Robin!
    Yahoo 1 Year Leagues:
    G, A, PIM, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 4Bn, 1IR

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks for voting guys,

alexmullen4180, AngelicAssassin0, bluejays, byzmaster, Caddy, captaincheat, Dennis4022, Hardyvan123, Kudelskis Krushers, sentium, Veritas0Aequitas

I will be posting the schedule shortly so that you can take a look at the teams I will be watching (in addition to the Heat)

Check the teams and see if you have any rookies on the squads.

Stay tuned.

cheers

six
    G-Andersen-Luongo

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Abbotsford Heat vs Manitoba Moose - 09/27/09

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Hey Sentium,

First of all I must say it felt weird cheering against the Canucks farm team! I live in Abbotsford so therefore I must support the home team

This was my first AHL game (pre-season) and I have 20 regular season home games to go. The excitement really kicked in when I got to my seat. It was also my 5yr old's first hockey game so I guess I was also excited for him.

Okay here goes:

Mikael Backlund did not impress me as much as I was expecting. I am not sure what it was, maybe he needs time to adjust to a different level again. It was almost as if he was skating around in a daze.

Hey it pains me to say this, as I believe that he is an extremely talented hockey player. I was just unfortunate not to see any of it at tonight's game.

It appeared at times that he was forcing passes, trying to thread them through skates etc. At other times he was a little unsteady on his skates, I saw him fall over while turning 3 times. He reminded me of Mason Raymond, only without the speed!

It was a high scoring game, with Abbotsford winning 6 - 4, but it quite easily could have gone the other way as they were down 2 to zip mid-way through the first period.

The Heat score 6 goals and Backlund did not factor in any of them, I don't know how to explain that. I haven't checked the stats (like I said in the first post if you want stats you can get them youself) but from what I saw he quite easily could have been -3 for the game.

Hopefully this is the only game he plays like that and the next game I can write something positive about him. I'll put this one down to a bad day at the office.

Leland Irving, on the other hand, was an interesting one to watch. I say that because I have no idea what it is I am meant to be looking for. My apologies if Justin Goldman reads this as I will probably butcher the analysis

Irving plays a butterfly style and from what I saw he looked comfortable moving within the crease. He also challenge the shooter, coming out of the crease when needed (from my perspective) to cut down the angles.

Of the 4 goals he let in one of them was a short handed break away. To make it worse there were two of them. If you can recall the Gustavsson save from a couple days ago, picture that type of play only the puck went in.

Another goal was a fortunate rebound off of a really nice left pad save. Irving's pad to hockey stick to back of the net

The other two were screened shots so I won't comment on them!

Highlight of the night: Kris Chucko's re-direct from the point. It was beautiful to watch, the hand to eye coordination of these guys is incredible. One downward motion and there you have it, goal.

Disappointment of the night (besides Backlund!): Cory Schneider was not playing for the Moose tonight.

Summary:
    - Not impressed with Backlund tonight, I expect more as the season progresses.
    - I will continue to watch Irving, gives the game (from a fantasy hockey nut's perspective) a completely different perspective.

Hope you enjoyed the read and if you have any questions let me know.

cheers

six

next game: October 10 vs the San Antonio Rampage (Phoenix Coyotes)
    Last edited by sixhands; September 28, 2009 at 2:43 AM.
    G-Andersen-Luongo