Thread: Bench moves: Leino? Howard?

The Wolverine

Default Bench moves: Leino? Howard?

Hey everyone,

Our league has just autodrafted, and undrafted players are on waivers until Sunday. Given the depth of the league, I'm pretty happy with my squad (thank you crappy yahoo rankings) but wondering if I need to make a couple bench moves. The guys that stand out for now are:

Leino(L), Eaves(R), Boedker(L), Howard

Should I make a waiver claim for any of them or just hold for now? Thanks in advance.

20 team, Points only, Daily lineups
    G(1),A(1),+/-(0.2),PIM(-0.1),PPG(0.75),PPA(0.75),SHG(1.25),SHA(1.25),GWG(1 ),SOG(0.1)
    GS(0.5),W(2),L(-1),GA(-0.7),SV(0.1),SHO(5)
    23 man roster (3C, 3L, 3R, 6D, 2Util, 2G, 4BN, 1IR)
    Maximum number of games=100
    Unlimited moves / trades

C: Briere, Stastny, Sharp
    L: Tanguay, Sullivan, Sturm
    R: Alfredsson, Giroux, Voracek
    D: Markov, Gonchar, Whitney, Burns, E.Johnson, Sekera
    U: Fleischmann(R), Brassard(C )
    BN: Raymond, Brunnstrom, Shannon
    G: Kiprusoff, Brodeur
    BN: Rask

Dobber Sports Genius

LW - you are a bit old. Sturm has been remarkably consistent. Boston is the deepest roster he's ever been on. The assumption that Sullivan is back after mssing two years with a bad back... well I struggle a bit with that.

RW - Voracek is a bit of a risk as a starter. Fine talent, just not sure whether this is the year. The potential and situation are a very interesting combination.
    Leino is an interesting 'chance'. Groulx is also a strong risk. He hasn't done it yet.

C - Sharp as a centre? I like him as a winger. Not sure how I feel about him as a centre. It certainly diminishes him.

Utility - Not bad stuff. Fleischmann has been a low level fantasy player, but appears poised for increased responsibility. A lousy Brassard appears to be 60 points and hoping for 80.

Bench - Raymond, Brunnstrom, Shannon. I'm really not a fan of any of these guys. I think the hope for them is that they become middling, and currently they've not proven to be that. I question your bench. Raymond is supposedly a shooter, but has struggled to find his niche. Shannon is a bubble guy that is on his last chance. Ottawa had room for a shooter last year and he failed to capitalize. Brunnstrom will get another chance. I'll crack last year up to 'experience' on the road of life.

D - looks pretty solid

G - looks pretty solid

Leino(L) - a risk. Detroit signing Eaves, Williams and Bertuzzi leaves me wondering where Leino pecks in. Somebody loses out. I think I still like Leino better than the three guys on your bench. 10-50 points. That's a large and crazy window.

Eaves(R) - I think he's very similar to the trio on your bench. I listed the biggest concern with Leino, but feel Leino is more developed and has much higher end potentials. 30 points for Eaves would have to be considered a success.

Boedker(L) - I like him better than all three guys on your bench. He's 19 years old. Phoenix has a confusing lineup to assess. Similar to Detroit in that they have a variety of options to deploy (not as good as Detroits options). 45+ points would be a nice step up for Boeder, building nicely on a reasonable rookie season as an 18 year old.

Howard (G) - I prefer Rask. Howard has failed to prove he belongs in the NHL. If he struggles, Detroit will be forced to look at different options. Fernandez, a career journeyman, Legace. They could try working something for a guy like Harding. Howard will get a chance, but he better not bobble the ball. Rask will be in the NHL. I have a hard time imagining either one playing more than about 25 games. Rask appears on the path to become an NHL starter, a couple years down the line, providing he shows steady.

I might shoot Raymond and Shannon for Leino and Boedker. I think the unfortunate part of that is that both Leino and Boedker are LW.

Coincidence, or do you just love Detroit a little too much?

The Wolverine

Thanks JHM for your thorough response. It is a coincidence actually that 3 of those guys are from Detroit, and since this is a very deep league (460 guys drafted), those were the guys that initially stood out for me on the waiver wire. There may be others but they don't seem like much, or I'm not familiar with them.

Yeah I do agree there is some risk in some of these guys - I ended up getting them since with the poor yahoo rankings, I noticed that these guys were ranked far too low and had to bump them up a bit. And here they end up on my team!

I'm not too concerned with the positions of my bench players - I could easily put them in my utility slot when needed or on off days for my starters.

Sharp, well that's where he ended up after the draft - I haven't changed them around yet. Could but Brassard there but doesn't really matter due to the utility slot. If he ends up with LW eligibility, all the better!

As for the rest, well if Sullivan gets hurt at least I have adequate bench LWers to fill in. I figure it's low risk, high reward.

Losing Shannon and Raymond is not a big deal for me - especially Raymond since I'm a Flames fan. I'll keep those suggestions in mind.

Thanks again.

The Wolverine

Thought I'd throw out some other forwards on the wire to help in gauging the depth of the league and lack of options available. Plus maybe you have insight on some of them.

The first one is actually the highest rated based on last year's numbers and our scoring system (and most others are near the top):

Kulemin(L) - I refuse to have any Leafs on my squad
    McLement(C)
    J.Mitchell(C)
    Turris(C)
    Prucha(L)
    Hensick(C)
    D.Boyd(C)