Thread: 2nd Overall Pick : Mason ? Zajac ? Setoguchi ?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default 2nd Overall Pick : Mason ? Zajac ? Setoguchi ?

Hi guys, 1st post although I've been a reader for about a year now. Team in my sig.

I finished next to last in my keeper this year so I have the 2nd overall pick. Its only our 2nd keeper season (no waivers) so there are some pretty good players still available. The 1st overall pick beeing Tavares, I was wondering who I should go with after him. I was leaning on Varlamov since I can use him in my rookie slot, and then maybe Goligoski or Zajac.

Below are some available players at 2nd overall and maybe at 14th.

Thoughts ? Thanks in advance !

Hedman
    Duchene

Setoguchi
    Krejci
    Berglund
    Weiss
    Booth
    Zajac
    Neal
    Ebbett
    Kesler
    Lombardi

Vlasic
    Quincey
    Erhoff
    Goligoski
    Edler
    Ballard
    Wisnewski

Mason
    Thomas
    Varlamov
    Hiller
    Rinne
    Emery
    Ersberg
    Gustavsson
    Markstrom
    Keeper League Points only
    12 Teams 22 Players/Roster
    1G 1A 2W 3SO

10 F Crosby, Kopitar, Vanek, D.Sedin, Kariya, Gomez, Ryder, Selanne, Demitra, S.Kostytsyn
    5 D B.Campbell,B.McCabe,P.Martin,Bogo,J.Johnson
    1 G Price
    1 R Filatov

Extras : M.Carle, Mattias, Purcell

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If that FA Mason is Steve, then him. If it's Chris, take Varlamov.

Markstrom is ridiculously appealing also, but i'd still go with Varly.
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 5, 2009 at 2:03 AM.

Dobber Sports Newbie

It is indeed Steve Mason

I was thinking the exact same thing until I realized I could fit Varlamov in my rookie slot. I figured since he might bring in close to 80 pts compared to let's say 40 to 50 pts for other forward rookies, it could give me a good edge for this year and an excellent 2nd goalie if Price sucks again. You really think Mason could top all of this ?

Btw thanks for replying
    1G 1A 2W 3SO

10 F Crosby, Kopitar, Vanek, D.Sedin, Kariya, Gomez, Ryder, Selanne, Demitra, S.Kostytsyn
    1 G Price
    1 R Filatov

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

No prob buddy. Thats what im here for.

I definitely think Mason is the better of the 2 goales, but I could definitely see how it would be beneficial for you to take Varlamov. Especially if Ken Hitchcock were to ever get fired. Who the hell knows how good that team or Mason would be without his defensive structure?

And with a very young, slightly above average(but getting better) goalie in Price, I dont see the same urgency to take Mason as I would if you had, say, J.S. Giguere as your goalie.
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 5, 2009 at 2:13 AM.

Dobber Sports Newbie

So you wouldnt even consider taking Hedman or Duchene, or even Seto or Zajac ?

I've been changing my mind every day for the last month over this... Reading around, ppl seem a bit high on Mason. He was my 1st choice until the Varlamov dilemma came around tho. Really better long term to add a Mason over one of the other guys ?
    1G 1A 2W 3SO

1 G Price
    1 R Filatov

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Varlamov > Mason given your new info.

-I would stay the hell away from Colorado's #2 center.

-Hedman is nice, but I wouldnt take him over those goalies.

-Seto could lose that RW spot with Jumbo Joe as fast as he got it. Pass.

-Zajac. Why? Cause he's Parise's center? Dont believe the hype. Lemaire consciously keeps ALL players stats down for the sake of defense. He'll do the same with Parise, which will hurt Zajac.
    Last edited by NYR9394; September 5, 2009 at 2:42 AM.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Thanks for the feedback, I too have been leaning towards Varlamov. Putting him in my rookie slot gives me at least 30 pts or more (80 vs 50) in this one so I can then pick a forward or D at 14th. If Goligoski is still there, He'd be my guy.

Otherwise not sure what forward I would take, since I dont think any D listed above is 2nd round worthy in a 12 team pts only draft. On the other hand, many forwards listed above interest me, even Seto and Zajac.

I might go with Berglund, Booth, Weiss, Eriksson or Lombardi if Goli is gone...
    1G 1A 2W 3SO

1 G Price
    1 R Filatov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Not sure I understand how this rookie slot thing works - why would you be moving Filatov out of it?

How many guys are you drafting? What's with the extras in your signature?

Dobber Sports Rookie

You can ignore most of the players on that list so it's down to Mason, Varlamov and Duchene. I'm going to take a different angle on this one and would take them in this order:

Duchene
    Varlamov
    Mason

I never go with young 'hype' goalies like the above for the simple reason that it takes young goalies years to develop. You'll likely read lofty projections for both Varlamov and Mason for the coming season but I wouldn't take those too seriously. If you look historically at any young goalie in the NHL most have a solid rookie year followed by 2 years of poor performances. The reason is that shooters get used to their styles and they take years to develop into elite netminders (Fleury and Ward come to mind). Price is a perfect example too - he'll be great but it's a long wait.

If you've got the patience and are rebuilding they are fine, otherwise I'd nab a forward for your rookie spot (and Duchene looks like the real deal) then go for a buy-low older goalie. Vokoun is a perfect example of an older tender that'll get you monster points but is way under rated.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Not sure I understand how this rookie slot thing works - why would you be moving Filatov out of it?

How many guys are you drafting? What's with the extras in your signature?

Rookie slot : You can fit any guy who has less than 25 games in the NHL in that slot. I like Filatov, but I figured putting Varlamov in there would give me at least 80 pts (2W 3 SO). Any other rookie (ex: Filatov) would give me anything between 40-60 pts. Wouldn't you put Varlamov in there too ? I have Price in my G slot.

The extras are basically my bench. We start 10 F 5 D 1 G 1R every week. For the upcoming draft, we have to cut 5 players and draft 7 for a total of 22 guys on the roster. Wouldnt you be tempted by Varly too ?

Thanks again for the feedback, much appreciated guys
    1G 1A 2W 3SO

1 G Price
    1 R Filatov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Base on the team in your sig I would look more towards a forward like Duchene then a goalie. Your forwards are good but really drop off and with Selanne and Kariya getting old Duchene would be a great guy to have to come in and fill some shoes. With Price as your goalie right now I don't know that you need Mason. I would say if you are building to win in a few years Duchene is the smart pick. If I read your sig right your team could look like this in a couple of years:

10 F Crosby, Kopitar, Vanek, D.Sedin, Filatov, Gomez, Ryder, Duchene, Demitra, S.Kostytsyn
    1 G Price

That's not a bad looking crew.