Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evgeni Dadonov Signs w/ Florida

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    so Pens fan...if this was a comparison to Sid or Evgeni would you be jst as agreeable?
    That's fine with me. Grachev was drawing comparisons as a Malkin-esque kind of player. I think Grachev said in an interview that he really patterns his game after Geno tho...

Maybe it's because his first name is Evgeni and he's a big Russian...

Super Moderator

so Pens fan...if this was a comparison to Sid or Evgeni would you be jst as agreeable?
    Mcgoo, this all started after one of the Panther's scouts said how Dadonov reminds him of Datsyuk.

I don't think anybody really think he'll be a Datsyuk or anything right away but it's about potential. He also plays a great two way game which is reminiscent of Datsyuk and he's got fantastic hands.

He could be a career 40pt guy but he does have the skills to be something special from a lot that I've read about him.

Dobber Sports Stud

hey guys,
    I'm confused. TSN has him signing a ELC yet from that website it seems like he's staying in Russia? What is going on with him for 09-10 and does he have a shot at making the Panthers or is AHL a given in yr1?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

McGoo are you talking about the Datsyuk who was drafted 171st in 1998 and didn't hit the NHL until 2001 or the Datsyuk of today?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    McGoo are you talking about the Datsyuk who was drafted 171st in 1998 and didn't hit the NHL until 2001 or the Datsyuk of today?
    dont be a cheeky little bastard Shoeless, I'll send my ninjas to deal with you

you know what I mean, of all the prospects we fantasy nerds salivate over, how many of them truly make it to the NHL and have fantasy worthy pts? maybe 35-45% tops? and of those how many wind up ppg players? (maybe 5-7%) and of those how many are true superstars (top 15-20 overall)? maybe 1%?

This kid is one of thousands of other talented kids in the mix, lets let him play at least an AHL game before we start talking about Datsyuk, thats all I'm sayin

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Okay no more cheek, even though I don't see the Ninja's sneaking through the Hwarang to get at me. By the way, I ain't so little and my mother takes strong exception to the term 'bastard'.

I do agree that we can get sloppy with comparisons - Datsyuk-like skills is a far cry from 'destined to be Datsyuk-like' in performance. But the comparison is useful nonetheless, just gives us something to hang our hat on for the purposes of storing prospects.

By the way, I have always been meaning to ask you how things progressed with that team you inherited last year. Have you been able to pick and trade your way into a better roster or is it slow going? Don't doubt your ability to make it a winner but some leagues are tough on trades so it takes longer. Is it the one in your sig?
    Last edited by Shoeless; July 25, 2009 at 6:53 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

you know what I mean, of all the prospects we fantasy nerds salivate over, how many of them truly make it to the NHL and have fantasy worthy pts? maybe 35-45% tops? and of those how many wind up ppg players? (maybe 5-7%) and of those how many are true superstars (top 15-20 overall)? maybe 1%?

This kid is one of thousands of other talented kids in the mix, lets let him play at least an AHL game before we start talking about Datsyuk, thats all I'm sayin
    Then it might please you a bit that the comparison in the 2009 prospects report is Afinogenov It was Datsyuk in 2008. 30-40-70+ with a 50% chance of making the NHL and 40% chance of actually hitting that upside.

Normally when I look at player comparisons I think of more than numbers. I think of style of play and that kind of stuff too.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

I have to agree here with you 100%. Guys in fantasy leagues have gone prospect crazy.
    Pavel Datsyuk was 4th in league scoring last year.

4th the year before that and in the top 20 the 2 years previous. I would not even equate any guy drafted in the last 2 years Stamkos, Taveres ect.. with Datsyuk until they actaully have 1 year like him, never mind never playing in the NHL.

Look Dadonov might turn out to be a decent NHL player (or more) but let's temper expectations a bit here and drop the hype machine. Hype rarely matches the expectations just ask Eric Lindros

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    Then it might please you a bit that the comparison in the 2009 prospects report is Afinogenov It was Datsyuk in 2008. 30-40-70+ with a 50% chance of making the NHL and 40% chance of actually hitting that upside.

Normally when I look at player comparisons I think of more than numbers. I think of style of play and that kind of stuff too.
    that sounds much more accurate to me

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

By the way, I have always been meaning to ask you how things progressed with that team you inherited last year. Have you been able to pick and trade your way into a better roster or is it slow going? Don't doubt your ability to make it a winner but some leagues are tough on trades so it takes longer. Is it the one in your sig?
    yeah its the one in my sig, I think I made some really good moves (not all, but most) both via the draft and via trades...recall I had no farm team at all when I took over the team so getting younger and picking up some quality prospects to slot into my farm system was key I think. I also had a crazy number of injuries last season that really hurt my team, especially early but once it was clear I had no shot at competing I was able to make some smart trades (I took on Morrow for instance) that helped me prepare for this year. Its still not a wining team but its getting there