Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Am I missing something here?????

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Am I missing something here?????

If that happens, then the salary environment and the players will simply adapt.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Adapt or simply leave for greener pastures? Hockey night in Stockholm has a nice ring to it, doesn\'t it Mr. Sentium!!! Hmmmm??
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Watch the dust settle. Teams overspending on these overpriced UFA\'s are going to be bleeding young talent. Teams with cap space and picks to deal are going to be picking around like vultures.

A Dubinsky perhaps? How about Callahan? Pacioretty? Hunwick?
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great point angus.

Just checking NHLSCAP.com and I see Boston with 3 more players needing to be signed and only 1,270,833 cap space left and Kessel and Hunwick RFA. I\'m sure that they can move players to the farm and that will free up some cash, but they are tight.

Detroit still hasn\'t signed Hudler and only has $221,011 of cap space left.

Chicago is really the team to poach with offer sheets. They need to sign 5 players to reach the 22 player roster minimum and have $8,920,293 to do it.

Their RFA list: Barker, Versteeg, Eager, Crawford, among others.

The real problem? Kane, Toews AND Duncan Keith all become RFA after this season. Add that to the rampant speculation that the cap will come down.

Can they really afford to give Barker a deal that will make him happy? Versteeg??? This could be seriously fun to watch for all non-Hawks fans (sorry guys!).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Recruit

angus wrote:
    Watch the dust settle. Teams overspending on these overpriced UFA\'s are going to be bleeding young talent. Teams with cap space and picks to deal are going to be picking around like vultures.

A Dubinsky perhaps? How about Callahan? Pacioretty? Hunwick?
    Yeah... that\'s why i\'m absolutely extatic to see what the capitals did. They went out (as they have done in the last several years) and acquired complimentary player(s) on short term deals and moderately priced contracts.

I just never understand how teams give out these massive deals in term and money. I mean when you really think about the last several stanley cup winners... how many were teams that were built by players that THEY drafted?

Pittsburgh... yes. Malkin/Crosby/Fleury/Letang + compliments
    Detroit... yes. Lidstrom/Datsyuk/Zetterberg + compliments
    Anaheim... yes (to a somewhat lesser degree). Getzlaf/Perry/McDonald + compliments (good compliments)
    Carolina... yes. Staal/Cole/Ward + compliments
    TB... yes. Lecavalier/Richards/Boyle + compliments

Teams like the rangers or montreal (teams that go out and build their top 2 lines from free agents) just don\'t seem to win these days (actually for that matter... i don\'t know that that type of strategy was ever really that successful at winning cups).

The Comish wrote:
    Great point angus.

Just checking NHLSCAP.com and I see Boston with 3 more players needing to be signed and only 1,270,833 cap space left and Kessel and Hunwick RFA. I\'m sure that they can move players to the farm and that will free up some cash, but they are tight.

Detroit still hasn\'t signed Hudler and only has $221,011 of cap space left.

Chicago is really the team to poach with offer sheets. They need to sign 5 players to reach the 22 player roster minimum and have $8,920,293 to do it.

Their RFA list: Barker, Versteeg, Eager, Crawford, among others.

The real problem? Kane, Toews AND Duncan Keith all become RFA after this season. Add that to the rampant speculation that the cap will come down.

Can they really afford to give Barker a deal that will make him happy? Versteeg??? This could be seriously fun to watch for all non-Hawks fans (sorry guys!).
    I agree... there\'s a lot of teams out there that are VERY vulnerable right now... I wonder if we\'ll see atlanta take a shot at some guys? Toronto almost definitely will (kessel perhaps?)...

It\'s a shame too... because I really like the young team that chicago had (and is now effing up)... They were my team from the west... followed a similar model as pittsburgh and D.C. but with the campbell and hossa signings the last couple of seasons, they\'ve really hosed themselves in terms of signing their great young talents (especially next year if nothing changes).

Dobber Sports Stud

How is Chicago going to sign Kane AND Toews next year?

The Hossa signing is good, but Campbell and Huet signings were not so.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Recruit

Shao wrote:
    How is Chicago going to sign Kane AND Toews next year?

The Hossa signing is good, but Campbell and Huet signings were not so.
    the reason that i don\'t mind the huet signing is that the blackhawks don\'t have any great goalie prospects in the wings. I can\'t really blame them for that signing...

Hossa on the otherhand... is an offensive player. So if the hawks have trouble signing versteeg, kane, toews, etc... that would be bad. Even though he\'s signed to a \"reasonable\" deal in terms of money (not length).