Thread: So who\'s gonna be STUPID enough to buy the COYOTES

Dobber Sports Stud

Default So who\'s gonna be STUPID enough to buy the COYOTES

....and keep them in Phoenix????

The NHL \'won\' round ONE. However, I predict that this upcoming season is going to be the worst ever in terms of the Coyotes losing money. I mean even \"die hard\" Coyotes fans (all 3 of em) must realize that the home team is down by 6 goals with 15 seconds to go...

Can anyone really see attendance improving this season?

In fact, I believe the Coyote will set records this year...for LOWEST ATTENDANCE!!

I just can\'t see anyone stupid enough to buy that team and keep them in Phoenix.
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I think that if they solidify their D, they can be much better than last year and maybe bring \"some\" people back in the arena.

But will it be enough not to lose money? I am not sure... But can it be worst than last season? I doubt so.
    Chuck Norris can eat just one Lay's potato chip.
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Dobber Sports Stud

The NHL will give a sweet side deal to whoever buys the coyotes, just like the one they gave to the Predators owner when he was able to sell and then buy and own the Wild.

If not, it would take a total buffoon to buy that team. This economy just makes it worse.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Prediction: Coyotes will start the 2010/2011 season in Kansas City.

The team might actually lose less money if they can manage to get Gretzky to \'step down\' as coach (or at least take a massive pay cut). If not, I could see this team losing over $50 million.

It would be pretty hard for a fan in Phoenix to support a lame duck team.

Dobber Sports Master

not much time for damage control for the new owner who will have spin the angle of \'\'we\'re not moving anywhere\'\' to an already alienated season tix base / casual fanbase

tbh , I prefer the yotes moving to \'location X\' to be on the leagues terms , not through the backdoor

Dobber Sports Ace

#1) If phoenix ever wants a chance for these kids to grow and become competitive they need Gretzky out from behind the bench!...He\'s a horrible coach and should let his EGO go and let this team bring in someone good (Ted Nolan would be perfect!).
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Ted Nolan would be a very good option, he would actually be perfect to whip these young kids into shape. I think they should keep Gretz in the organization though, he pretty much got them that new rink with just his presence. If Gretz leaves the organization totally I don\'t see how they will lose less money that way. But I do agree he shouldn\'t be coaching.

Also, there are more then 3 diehard coyotes fans in Phoenix. I am not sure if you have been to Phoenix or have been to a game in Glendale BrianSTC, but if you have you would realize that alot more then 3 people care about this team. Sure they aren\'t getting the fans but the team is crap. They are terrible. Who wnats to go see a supposed \"up and coming\" team that isn\'t really up and coming? Sure they are only selling half the tickets but come on \"3\" diehards??

I think Phoenix could have a really good team, they just have to many young kids and no real leadership. Doan is really there only leader. Jovo has lost everything he ever had from when he was with Florida and Vancouver, and the team wanted to trade him but Jovo said NO?? Why would you want to play for a team that doesn\'t want you is beyond me.

I would like the Coyotes to stay in Phoenix and I think it could be a success there.
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

Zorro wrote:
    Also, there are more then 3 diehard coyotes fans in Phoenix. I am not sure if you have been to Phoenix or have been to a game in Glendale BrianSTC, but if you have you would realize that alot more then 3 people care about this team. Sure they aren\'t getting the fans but the team is crap. They are terrible. Who wnats to go see a supposed \"up and coming\" team that isn\'t really up and coming? Sure they are only selling half the tickets but come on \"3\" diehards??
    Sorry Zorro. Maybe I miscounted. There might have been 4 die hards...

Anyway, using the excuse \"the team is crap\" doesn\'t wash. Fans have to support their team through both good and bad times. That is what a die hard fan does.
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Genius

I do believe \"THE PHOENIX IS RISING\". I also believe that although the team will do better this year, there is a good chance they will have lower attendance. They are in a poor market, that struggles to have all the other \"economics\" contributing to the success of the team. TV rights, advertising, strong fan base, strong purchase of team products...

These ideas have become very public in recent times. Thinking that this market suddenly embraces hockey is outright foolish. It\'s about as reasonable as figuring out how to make it snow in July or be 70 degrees in January (in Canada).

With the Coyotes thinking they will be absorbing SIGNIFICANT losses on an annual basis, something will have to give at some point in time. The NHL may have missed the boat on dumping the contractual obligation with the city of Phoenix in recent days. The players association has expressed concern with the team continuing in Phoenix.

Let\'s see
    - team is bankrupt
    - NHL has assumed financials
    - players association wants the team moved
    - an offer to buy with strong economics
    - NHL resists
    - NHL loses strong economic purchaser (again)
    - losses will continue to mount

Does someone need a tatto printed on their forehead \"STUPID\", so that they get the idea? A refresher every morning when they look in the mirror?

The losses proposed on an annual basis at this point represent the lifetime earnings of about 50 average Canadian workers, on an annual basis. Hmmmm.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Phoenix had a chance to form a vialbe market. I really think winning is the cure all. However, now that all of this dirty laundry has been aired and the future of the club is unknown, who in their right mind would want to buy season tickets now? No season ticket sales is going to be the final nail in the coffin.

BrianSTC said \"Anyway, using the excuse \"the team is crap\" doesn\'t wash. Fans have to support their team through both good and bad times. That is what a die hard fan does.\"
    I would still like you to answer my question,
    >> have you been to a game in Phoenix? Have you seen the new rink? Have you seen the fans and the kids that are the \"diehards\" ? Have you seen the atmosphere after a game outside the arena?

I am sure you are aware of when the Blackhacks and Bruins were very crappy (LATE 90\'s) and were having tons of trouble getting fans to go their games and most recently (2005-2007). It was ridiculous. I went to Chicago for 3 games in 2006 and it was shocking. First of all we were sitting about 20 rows from the ice and we got our tickets for $35 bucks. The building was half empty. It was so quiet in that arena it was unbelievable really. I watch every BRUINS game I can and in the 2005-2007 season\'s the building was over half empty for almost every game.

I don\'t think the \"diehards\" supported their team by hiding out at home and not buying tickets for these years. Since then the Blackhawks have built through the draft aswell as the Bruins. And the fans have come back, the \"diehards\" are back in the seats..

And don\'t forget about the PENGUINS, they were in soo much trouble that the team almost left Pittsburgh, but Super Mario came to the rescue. Nobody was coming to the games after Jagr left town and went to Washington. But the team fought through the times when nobody was coming out to the games to drafting Malkin and Crosby and now look at them. They won\'t have a non-sellout in the next 10 years. At home or on the road..

I realize Phoenix is in trouble but if they put a winning product on the ice and had Kane and Toews there would be people in the seats. I just think guys like Mueller and Boedker are great young prospects but aren\'t as marketable as the young blackhawks. They seem to have been trying to use Turris alot but he still hasn\'t impressed in the NHL yet. But he is something to build with. I think the Coyotes have been bad but the sad thing is they aren\'t bad enough yet. They are missing out on these great prospects: Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, JVR, and now Tavares, etc, etc..

I just think Phoenix needs time. I know its a SEXY possibility to have another team in Southern Ontario but we already lost a team here in Winnipeg, why do this again?? I really think hockey in Phoenix will work eventually. Every team goes through their bad times, just Phoenix is going through it alot quicker then most. I afraid to say it but they need to get really bad before they get better or bring in some LEADERS, this team needs leadership..

Dobber Sports Stud

Zorro wrote:
    I would still like you to answer my question,
    >> have you been to a game in Phoenix? Have you seen the new rink? Have you seen the fans and the kids that are the \"diehards\" ? Have you seen the atmosphere after a game outside the arena?
    Unlike a lot of people, I have actually lived in “hockey mad” places like Vancouver and Winnipeg…and have also lived where people could care less…Florida. I was able to compare first hand the atmosphere after a game outside the arenas…and there is no comparison. In Winnipeg and Vancouver they live, breath and die hockey….in Florida it was more of a fad…well when they actually know what hockey is. You would be amazed how many people haven’t heard of Crosby in Florida????

Zorro wrote:
    I am sure you are aware of when the Blackhacks and Bruins were very crappy (LATE 90\'s) and were having tons of trouble getting fans to go their games and most recently (2005-2007). It was ridiculous. I went to Chicago for 3 games in 2006 and it was shocking. First of all we were sitting about 20 rows from the ice and we got our tickets for $35 bucks. The building was half empty. It was so quiet in that arena it was unbelievable really. I watch every BRUINS game I can and in the 2005-2007 season\'s the building was over half empty for almost every game.

I don\'t think the \"diehards\" supported their team by hiding out at home and not buying tickets for these years. Since then the Blackhawks have built through the draft aswell as the Bruins. And the fans have come back, the \"diehards\" are back in the seats.
    It is well known that the lack of fan support for those teams had way more to do with the management and marketing of the teams than just losing. Chicago ‘blacking out’ the games on TV wasn’t the smartest idea just as one example.

Also, these teams didn’t lose 30 MILLION a year!!

Zorro wrote:
    And don\'t forget about the PENGUINS, they were in soo much trouble that the team almost left Pittsburgh, but Super Mario came to the rescue. Nobody was coming to the games after Jagr left town and went to Washington. But the team fought through the times when nobody was coming out to the games to drafting Malkin and Crosby and now look at them. They won\'t have a non-sellout in the next 10 years. At home or on the road..
    The Penguins trouble had everything do to with getting a proper arena built. Phoenix already has a new arena!

Zorro wrote:
    I realize Phoenix is in trouble but if they put a winning product on the ice and had Kane and Toews there would be people in the seats. I just think guys like Mueller and Boedker are great young prospects but aren\'t as marketable as the young blackhawks. They seem to have been trying to use Turris alot but he still hasn\'t impressed in the NHL yet. But he is something to build with. I think the Coyotes have been bad but the sad thing is they aren\'t bad enough yet. They are missing out on these great prospects: Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby, Toews, Kane, Stamkos, JVR, and now Tavares, etc, etc..
    This is not realistic! Quite frankly, there is nothing wrong with their team. It is a good young team on the verge of breaking out. However in saying that, not every team is not going to get a Crosby and if they need that to survive then I see that as a HUGE probem…

Zorro wrote:
    I just think Phoenix needs time. I know its a SEXY possibility to have another team in Southern Ontario but we already lost a team here in Winnipeg, why do this again?? I really think hockey in Phoenix will work eventually. Every team goes through their bad times, just Phoenix is going through it alot quicker then most. I afraid to say it but they need to get really bad before they get better or bring in some LEADERS, this team needs leadership..
    How much time? How much more millions in losses? The Coyotes have been the Coyotes almost as long as they were the Jets. I think there comes a time where you have to wake up and smell the coffee…
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

That\'s it drop the gloves.. HAHA..

Dobber Sports Stud

I am surprised that somebody who live in Winnipeg (I\'m assuming) would defend Phoenix as a hockey city...
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

All I am saying is give them a chance. I am not calling them a \"HOCKEY CITY\", atleast I don\'t think I did in these ramblings today. I just said maybe they deserve a chance. Get a good owner in there, someone who wants to try this Phoenix thing out and roll with it. But then again maybe they had their chance and its over. I just think it could work in Phoenix.

I was born and raised in T.O. so you don\'t need to talk to me about \"hockey mad\" cities, HA.. I know what you mean on that one Bri.

I mean no matter what we say something is bound to happen, they either stay or go. Thats the reality. I just think hockey can be successful there. And you don\'t. Thats cool.

Now drop the gloves. HA..