Thread: Varlamov to the KHL????

Dobber Sports Star

Default Varlamov to the KHL????

Pretty juicy tidbit to throw out there, Dobber. Anyone have an update or any info?

This would definitely up Theo/Neuvirth\'s value, if true. I have Theo and Neuvy is hanging on the wire, so I would really appreciate any news.

In case you missed it, from Dobber\'s ramblings yesterday:

A source has indicated to me that Simeon Varlamov has been offered a truckload of money from Mytishchi Atlant of the KHL (Ray Emery\'s former team) to return to Russia and play for them. This would increase the value of Michal Neuvirth and would give owners pause when considering Varlamov... although my opinion is that Varlamov would turn it down.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Sage

Oh BABY! I love it. B)
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don\'t own Varlamov so I would LOVE for him to leave lol

Dobber Sports Ace

I could see him leaving for a year (because Theo\'s signed to big $$$)There gonna have to play theo they could pick up a cheap backup and varlamov could make his $$ get lots of playing time and then come back for 10\'.
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Superstar

I have a suspicion that we will see all sorts of rumors like this this offseason (and we already have JJ, Kozlov, Fedorov, etc). With the cap likely going down teams will be less likely to provide contracts that players feel they are worth and will start looking at other places to get the money. Will it happen with Varly?...I sure hope not, but I am sure this is only the beginning of a long summer of speculation for a bunch of players.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Varlamov is only getting like 880k here but his contract is coming up after 10/11 so I see him signing a pretty big contract with WSH unless he has a really horrible 09/10 season, which I doubt.

I\'m almost 99% sure he\'ll be staying here. :P
    Fedorov and Kozlov on the hand... I see them heading to the KHL. :P
    12 Team roto Keeper League
    Player: G, A, PPG, PPA, +/-, PTS = 2pts
    Goalie: GGP, W, GAA, SPct, SO = 1 pt

Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D 2G, 6Farm Players.
    Keep 5/Team; Free Carryovers (under Age24)

C: H.Sedin, Weiss
    W: Ovechkin, D.Sedin, Booth, Voracek
    D: Streit, Suter, McCabe, M.Staal
    G: Bryzgalov, Neimi
    Farm: Leighton, White
    Carry: Connolly, McBain, Kabonov

Addicted to trading....sigh

Dobber Sports Master

I agree these runors are just the tip of the iceberg. Varlamov made an effort to come play in north America in the AHL in hopes to play in the NHL. He is not going anywhere.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Recruit

he\'s not going back. There were questions of whether he would come here in the first place... and finally he did. If he was willing to make the initial jump... and he has a job waiting for him (which he does), there\'s no reason for him to leave the NHL.

I don\'t see this happening at all. If he wanted to be playing in the KHL, he wouldn\'t have come over to the states at the beginning of last season.

Dobber Sports Stud

lanky wrote:
    he\'s not going back. There were questions of whether he would come here in the first place... and finally he did. If he was willing to make the initial jump... and he has a job waiting for him (which he does), there\'s no reason for him to leave the NHL.

I don\'t see this happening at all. If he wanted to be playing in the KHL, he wouldn\'t have come over to the states at the beginning of last season.
    You hope..... :P
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Recruit

BrianSTC wrote:
    lanky wrote:

You hope..... :P
    With as well as Neuvirth is playing, it really doesn\'t matter one way or the other to me as a fan.

I just think it makes zero sense for him to head back. Why come over here, play for a season... make a name for yourself just to go back?

What i don\'t think has been mentioned in this discussion is the International Hockey Federation\'s new rules regarding transfer of players who are under contracts. Varlamov\'s under contract for 2 years yet... and he\'d basically be blacklisted from all world championships and olympics if he were to go back to Russia right now (ala radulov).

I\'m not hoping... i\'m actually quite sure he\'s staying. It really makes very little sense for him to leave. He\'s in a great situation.

Dobber Sports Superstar

lanky wrote:
    What i don\'t think has been mentioned in this discussion is the International Hockey Federation\'s new rules regarding transfer of players who are under contracts. Varlamov\'s under contract for 2 years yet... and he\'d basically be blacklisted from all world championships and olympics if he were to go back to Russia right now (ala radulov).
    You mean the same Radulov that won a gold medal with Russia at this years World Championships? I had actually forgotten about this, how was he allowed to play?

Super Moderator

letnry wrote:
    lanky wrote:
    You mean the same Radulov that won a gold medal with Russia at this years World Championships? I had actually forgotten about this, how was he allowed to play?
    Because if I\'m not mistaken, this rule was put in place after (because of) the Radulov debacle.

IMO, Varlamov isn\'t going anywhere. Why on earth would you want to leave a team where you have AO, Backstrom, Semin, Green, etc in front of you to make you look good and he\'ll get his $ here.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Superstar

smack1919 wrote:
    letnry wrote:
    lanky wrote:
    Because if I\'m not mistaken, this rule was put in place after (because of) the Radulov debacle.
    ok, that makes more sense, thanks.