Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Crosby gets bashed

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Crosby gets bashed

lanky wrote:
    Like i said before, he has all summer (and all weekend since the victory was on a friday night) to celebrate hard. Alcohol, Cocaine, Heroin, Extasy, the works... to suggest that you should celebrate hard instead of showing sportsmanship seems off to me.
    You must have some kick ass summers Lanky.

Dobber Sports Stud

I\'m all for a little controversy. It can spice things up sometimes.

But there\'s not much to this, other than impatience and exuberance. The video below shows CBC\'s coverage of the scene after the game. They start showing handshakes a bit after the 5:10 mark.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/13/w...andshake-line/

If you watch carefully, you\'ll notice Crosby at one end of the rink, celebrating with teammates. Lidstrom and some other Detroit players skated through the line, and they did it before all of Pittsburgh\'s players and coaching staff had gotten in line. You\'ll even see Detroit\'s Johan Franzen come back to the line before Crosby got to Henrik Zetterberg.

Crosby himself looked confused, and pointed in the direction of Detroit players who were heading off the ice.

As I mentioned, this is nothing more than a little impatience on the part of some Detroit players, apparently including Lidstrom, and a bit too much exuberance on Crosby\'s part. This doesn\'t appear to have been anything malicious or disrespectful on the part of anyone.

Should Crosby have hustled into the handshake line? Sure. He\'s got a very keen sense of the game\'s history and traditions, so there is no doubt he understands how this works, and he could have been more understanding of the Red Wings\' desire to get off the ice and let the visitors celebrate on their own.

But there\'s no written protocol for this. There are no rules. Crosby and his teammates stood around and let Detroit celebrate in Pittsburgh last year, and there were no cries of people missing part or all of the handshake line.

In the end, though, this is only a big deal to Crosby-haters and sore losers.
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Stud

The last line is worth repeating:

***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Pro

BrianSTC wrote:
    The last line is worth repeating:

I am not a Crosby hater and I did not lose anything.

I watched the video and I think it confirms my assessment in my first post.

It was a disaster, horrible camera work, just looked like a mess.

At the 5 minute mark of the video you can see that all the penguins had congratulated each other. They had all hugged and that \"go jump on the goalie\" adrenaline rush was ending. The commentators saw players gathering at center and they addressed the tradition involved in the handshake.

But there\'s no written protocol for this. There are no rules.
    I would suggest that the handshake is \"part of the game\", at least ceremonially, players have it ingrained in their psyche win or lose.

The simple solution is to keep all the riff raff off the ice and let these guys celebrate or console each other properly. It would have made for a better story, better television and more respectful to the guys that just spent the last 2 months killing themselves to win the cup.

I am not slagging Crosby, I am just sad that the best playoffs I have seen in years ended on a sour note, about something that I always cherished watching.

Maybe the handshake is not as big a deal as it used to be? That also make me a little sad.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Lots of good points on this thread.

I think Chuk is onto something important. Let the celebrations and post-game handshakes take their natural course before tv stations are allowed to stampede the ice.

The handshakes should happen, the Conn SMythe should be awarded, the Stanley Cup should be awarded, and the winning team should be given a bit of time to celebrate before any interviews begin with any of the players.

I\'m sure most of us as fans would have more appreciation for the simplicity of watching the post-game theatrics unfold in a natural way, rather than watching repetitive interviews - \"It\'s what you always dream about as a child, winning the stanley cup etc etc\"

Did you see that part where Malkin was getting interviewed, and then Lemieux lifted the cup and Malkin\'s focus shifted completely away from the interview as he went crazy for Mario. That was priceless.......

Dobber Sports Stud

Chuk wrote:
    I am not a Crosby hater and I did not lose anything.

I watched the video and I think it confirms my assessment in my first post.

It was a disaster, horrible camera work, just looked like a mess.

At the 5 minute mark of the video you can see that all the penguins had congratulated each other. They had all hugged and that \"go jump on the goalie\" adrenaline rush was ending. The commentators saw players gathering at center and they addressed the tradition involved in the handshake.
    Sorry Chuk you are wrong on this one.

Anyone knocking Crosby is being extremely petty. PERIOD!

Lets compare celebrations...shall we?

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/13/w...andshake-line/

The video for this year:

At the 2:41 mark - The game ends
    4:58 - The handshakes have started (2:17 has passed)
    5:08 - You can clearly see the handshake lineup (2:27 has passed)
    6:17 - Crosby is first seen shaking hands (3:36 has passed)

The video for last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYspNbKCck

At the 0:38 mark - The game Ends
    2:48 - Chris Osgood (Not Lidstrom) starts the handshakes (2:10 has passed)
    3:20 - Lidstrom is first seen shaking hands (2:42 has passed)
    3:33 - Crosby is first seen shaking hands (with Lidstrom ironically) (2:55 has passed)

The difference? 41 freaking seconds!!!

And let\'s not forget that you are talking about a player who should not have even been ON THE ICE IN THE THIRD PERIOD!

Should I post a video of the Franzen hit???

So according to Draper, Lidstrom waited, and waited, and waited....41 seconds!! Come on people...GET A LIFE!!
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Stud

Chuk,

After re-reading your first post...I realize that you were not totally slagging Crosby...so I will direct the above post to the people who were.

As the videos above prove, however, it is NOT the captain that leads the way during the handshakes as Osgood and Lidstrom quite clearly show from the video of last year...

AND...if Crosby was \"late\" shaking hands it was only by a matter of seconds....so this matter of \"waiting and waiting\" is complete and utter bull...(the video evidence doesn\'t lie)

The fact that he was ONLY 41 seconds late should be a compliment to his character considering all the media attention that was surrounding him at the time.

It just kills me that all you Crosby haters quote \'tradition\' on this (non)incident...yet when Ovechkin was doing his \"hot stick\" routine you were so ready to throw the cherished \'tradition\' out of door.

So entirely hypocritical!!
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

After wasting my time reading this and the \"1-0\" post it has dawned on me that you guys are really waaay too friggin bored.
    14 TM H2H dynasty; 30man active roster - 4x C, LW, RW; 6 D, 2 G, 10 BN
    Unlim prospect roster, only filled through draft/trade
    G, A, P, +/-, PM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, FW, Hits, BkS, W, GA, GAA, SV, SV%, SO

C: Malkin, Backstrom, M. Richards, B. Boyle, Sobotka
    LW: Hall, Lucic, Hagelin, Stalberg, R. Smyth, Carcillo, Beleskey, T. Glass
    RW: Eberle, Wheeler, Radulov, Eriksson, Voracek, N. Johnson, Burish
    D: Boyle, Yandle, Whitney, Carle, Vlasic, Stuart, Gilbert, M. Stone, Barberio
    G: Price, Backstrom, Harding, Montoya
    P: Elliot, McKegg, Bouchard, Hackett

Dobber Sports Pro

chiro wrote:
    After wasting my time reading this and the \"1-0\" post it has dawned on me that you guys are really waaay too friggin bored.
    My wife says that about 95% of the fantasy hockey stuff. Thankfully I have found a way to persevere.

If all the major hockey news outlets can cover it, it has to have some relevance.

Only 110 more days until the pre-season in Sweden.

Only 12 days until the draft.

Enjoy your summer.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What struck me the most about the minutes just after the game was over was how the media stormed the ice. Like Dobber, I was extremely annoyed that the Conn Smythe presentation was ignored just so MacLean could do an interview. I mean for crying out loud. Whether Crosby is at fault here or not is all water under the bridge as far as I\'m concerned. Someone pointed out that he could\'ve done something afterwards, like Rafalski going to the Pens dressing room to congratulate Sykora, but that\'s all moot. When a team wins the cup it\'s complete bedlam and it\'s completely understandable if they\'re too excited to notice that the losing team is obviously impatient to get off the ice. I don\'t really blame Crosby for that. I do, however, think that this is one more thing that he needs to learn in order to become a good leader and a good captain. With him seemingly always making excuses and being noticeably disrespectful (or rather, not entirely respectful - disrespectful is a bit harsh) I have a hard time viewing him as a good ambassador for the sport. I\'m pretty sure he\'ll turn into a great leader some day, but he\'s not there yet. As has been said, he\'s still only 21. He\'ll learn, hopefully.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Wizard

chiro wrote:
    chiro,

I think it was a bit harsh, but everyone here at dobberhockey forgives you for posting this.:unsure:

I do agree that the \"handshake\" incident has been overblown and overanalyzed.

BrianSTC - nice work with the comparison to this year and last year, and digging up the links.

Poor Draper.........................

Dobber Sports Novice

lanky wrote:
    BrianSTC wrote:
    lanky wrote:
    As I said when i started this thread, i\'m not hating on Crosby... I\'m hating on a captain who won the stanley cup and didn\'t shake the hands of the leaders of the losing team.
    I have a hard time to believe this. Why? Because you have been hating on Crosby all year. If Crosby ran over to shake Lidstrom\'s hand, you would be saying he was too anxious. Give the kid a break for once!

And keep in mind, he was probably pumped so full of drugs because of his knee...

Maybe it would have been better if Sid put the cup on the ice if front of Lidstrom and played \"hot cup\"....then he would be more like your hero Ovechkin...
    haha... i only post reactions on crosby and other players in the league as they arise. Like i said in a previous post... these things just seem to sort of follow crosby around.

Whether it\'s the media that reports it and/or blows it out of preportion or what, i\'m not sure... but it\'s not my fault he didn\'t shake the opposing team captain\'s hand. It\'s not my fault that he bitched and whined after ovechkin scored a hat trick against him in the playoffs...

I didn\'t make him do those things... i\'m just commenting and reacting to the things done. Perhaps he should do less of this stuff, and then I wouldn\'t be viewed as a crosby hater?

0----------0

as for the \"hot cup\" that\'s actually pretty funny... even more so, because AO would look more like a hobo around a trashcan fire with that beard of his hahaha.
    I love how you feel it necesary to keep repeating that your not a Crosby hater when infact anyone who views this site on a regular basis knows that\'s exactly what you are. Take your run at him and leave it at that.

I heard Sid went to a restaurant in Detroit, took a crap and never flushed. What a crummy captain. Stevie Y flushes no matter what city he is in.

Dobber Sports Recruit

50N38 wrote:
    I love how you feel it necesary to keep repeating that your not a Crosby hater when infact anyone who views this site on a regular basis knows that\'s exactly what you are. Take your run at him and leave it at that.

I heard Sid went to a restaurant in Detroit, took a crap and never flushed. What a crummy captain. Stevie Y flushes no matter what city he is in.
    if that\'s true, name one problem that i had with sid as a player that didn\'t pertain to his captaincy?

can you think of (or quote me on) a single one? I can\'t think of any time i bashed crosby as a player. Like i said before, my problem is the way that he behaves as a captain.

If he weren\'t a captain, i may dislike him a little, but I doubt it would be to the point where I\'d be accused of hating him.

Now for that matter... i think Malkin is a cheap player sometimes... and i don\'t really like him... but it has nothing to do with his \"captaincy\" or lack there of. Crosby is a different story. I like him as a player, i just don\'t like the immature stuff that he pulls sometimes because he\'s supposed to be a leader.

I have crosby in a keeper and not malkin (despite being offered a deal 1-for-1 to exchange them). I really don\'t dislike crosby. I just think he needs to grow a little and become the leader he\'s already been annointed to be.