Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Game 3 : Too many men on the ice

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Game 3 : Too many men on the ice

There\'s some interesting points on either side actually.

If indeed it comes out that the Too Many Men was noticed by the officials and not called - well that\'s a HUGE issue. Pretty much would cast doubt on the officiating as a whole. I can accept that. Whether that happened or not is up for debate.

I tend to be a bit more trustworthy then perhaps I should be but perhaps some of that comes from being a ref in a couple different sports and knowing how extraordinarily difficult it can be.

I wonder if there are any other examples (playoffs or otherwise) of a too many men penalty not being called for that length of time.

Dobber Sports Sage

ok...as I mentioned I didn\'t see it, so I think I need clarification at this point. letnry\'s response confuses me a little. I thought this 21 second too many men infraction happened right at the time that Pitt scored their go-ahead goal. Is that not the case?
    @tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Stud

Dutch wrote:
    my point is not about soccer, it\'s about the refs and the consistency of the refs.

I think that if refs make MAJOR mistakes in big games such as the final. They should be held accountable, and not be allowed to ref in the final again. Now since there\'s only few refs in the NHL, maybe they should have something like a suspension for a ref or whatever. That way, the ref is held accountable, and we won\'t see AS many mistakes as we do now.
    That would make sense, but I don\'t think the NHL cares THAT much about the game and the opinion of die-hard fans.

A quick search on the interwebs revealed no news about this other than on this site. Does the sports world know about this???
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Superstar

duballstar014 wrote:
    ok...as I mentioned I didn\'t see it, so I think I need clarification at this point. letnry\'s response confuses me a little. I thought this 21 second too many men infraction happened right at the time that Pitt scored their go-ahead goal. Is that not the case?
    Right, there was no goal scored during the uncalled too many men infraction. It happened about 13 minutes into the first with Detroit up 2-1.

As an interested aside, had they scored a goal with too many men on the ice, it would stand and it is not reviewable. Rule 39.4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Shao wrote:
    That would make sense, but I don\'t think the NHL cares THAT much about the game and the opinion of die-hard fans.

A quick search on the interwebs revealed no news about this other than on this site. Does the sports world know about this???
    I agree with you Shao, that the NHL doesn\'t care about the opinion of the hard-core fans, especially in Canada. I feel that they take us for granted.

NHL hockey is only a major sport in Canada. In the US, it\'s behind many many sports including high school football (I\'m not kidding - I\'d have to research the reference, but I did read it somewhere).

This constant change the big wigs try every year isn\'t helping the NHL win any new fans as there are so many rules that even the hard-core fans don\'t know what\'s a penalty anymore.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The Comish wrote:
    [quote]

NHL hockey is only a major sport in Canada. In the US, it\'s behind many many sports including high school football (I\'m not kidding - I\'d have to research the reference, but I did read it somewhere).

quote]

Having recently moved to the US I can confirm this. Every year the Stanley cup final ratings are lower than the Scripp\'s spelling bee.... its a disgrace
    Points Only Dynasty League - count top 6 F, top 4 D and top G

F: Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Bergeron, R Smith, W Karlsson, Atkinson, Zuccarello, Radulov, Lee, Steel, Milano, Farabee, Batherson, Sprong, Heponiemi

D: Burns, Letang, Carlson ,Yandle, Green, M Matheson, Niko

G: Markstrom, Rinne, Samsonov

Dobber Sports Expert

letnry wrote:
    duballstar014 wrote:
    Right, there was no goal scored during the uncalled too many men infraction. It happened about 13 minutes into the first with Detroit up 2-1.

As an interested aside, had they scored a goal with too many men on the ice, it would stand and it is not reviewable. Rule 39.4
    That would have been awful.
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Ace

[img size=300]http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k354/fathomknows/tin-foil-hat.jpg[/img]
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth

Dobber Sports Ninja

well the Spelling Bee IS pretty riveting ...