Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Charles Wang Regrets Buying The New York Islanders

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Charles Wang Regrets Buying The New York Islanders

butch wrote:

once again , you have nothing informative to add to a thread .I await your negative karma towards me afterwards too
    by the way -its Nassau Coliseum , not COLISSEUM
    Wow, this one almost slipped by me. Are we gonna go through this stupidness again? Cause I really dont want to. Although that response is waaay too serious Butch. Tone it down a little. Im just trying to make a little light hearted humor on a relatively slow day. Im sorry that im constantly attacking that sad sack of a team. Maybe they should stop giving me so much to work with.

I also apologize that I didnt know the proper spelling of coliseum. I\'ll try to do better next time. Thank you for the correction, Mr. Webster.

Finally, my track record speaks for itself. I add substance to the boards when necessary and I crack jokes where I see applicable. Stop getting mad at me because you\'re team is terrible. I just point it out.

#&%^ your karma. Im not bothering with it. Nobody cares. Move on.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Sorry Butch but I have to agree. NYR has helped me out with sound advice on many occasions, probably more than anyone else actually and takes time to answer so many posts. I understand being bitter about your situation down in Long Island but you better believe he doesn\'t have 200+ Karma and 5000+ posts for nothing. And even if his humor is occasionally a little crusty...I always seem to enjoy it. Surely there\'s room for a little lightheartedness evenly dispersed with input...
    F: McDavid, Kucherov, Eichel, Gaudreau, M Tkachuk, E Lindholm, Rob Thomas, Hischier
    D: S Jones, Werenski, DeAngelo, Hamilton
    G: Husso, Raanta

*** ONE YEAR - POINTS ONLY *** skaters: 1pt/G, 1pt/A. goalies: 2pt/win, 2pt/SO *** 12 teams
    MUST HAVE -- 8F, 4D, 2G --- (******Can only swap at same position, F, D, G ********)
    10 ACQUISITIONS TOTAL ON THE YEAR (**I've used NINE of them - ONE LEFT**) *** NO BENCH - NO IR - NO TRADES BETWEEN MEMBERS ***

Dobber Sports Expert

I was thinking KC because of the competition factor, you look around and there isn\'t too many teams around that area. If the Islanders stay on the Island, they have to compete with 3 teams within the vicinity for fans.

And American hockey fans aren\'t entirely loyal as baseball fans, if the team sucks they don\'t show or they cheer for the next best team around. Moving a team where they are the only market forces new fans to cheer for them, like Columbus, and Minny did with their fans.

If you look around St. Louis is sustainable, and Minny is too, so I don\'t think it\'d be too far-fetched for KC to make a run at a franchise if they can get a new arena built.

I\'m not saying that it\'s the best place for the NHL to relocated a team to, but when has the NHL (Bettman) ever made a smart decision? The NHL has made it their prerogative to expand in the states and not in small markets like Winnipeg and Southern Ontario or they would have done so already.

Remember when the Pittsburgh group was seriously thinking about relocating the Pens when they refused to build a new arena, KC was on top of the list for the franchise, so I don\'t see why it wouldn\'t be on the same list if Wang wanted to move them...
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Master

Otto2000 wrote:
    Sorry Butch but I have to agree. NYR has helped me out with sound advice on many occasions, probably more than anyone else actually and takes time to answer so many posts. I understand being bitter about your situation down in Long Island but you better believe he doesn\'t have 200+ Karma and 5000+ posts for nothing. And even if his humor is occasionally a little crusty...I always seem to enjoy it. Surely there\'s room for a little lightheartedness evenly dispersed with input...
    I\'m not even from \'the island\'

I\'m a canadian islander fan from the 70\'s who\'s never stepped foot in new york aside from a 1 hour wait at JFK for a connecting flight to miami .

the islanders dont deserve much respect -I\'ll easily admit as much -but when I see someone boast about islander facts that are untrue it pisses me off .

if the lighthouse project ever gets approved it makes the islanders a viable profit making nhl franchise . after waiting almost 10 years for the politics to sort themselves out the owner has finally used the threat to possibly move the team as his ace up the sleeve .So its , -approve my billion dollar lightouse project or I move the isles to queens , kansas , wherever .

the one thing to keep in mind though -the islanders have the sweetest cable deal in the nhl -and its locked in until the year 2030 where I believe in the latter years of the deal its paying the islanders upwards of 30 mil per season for their regional television rights .So if you are buying the islanders -you might want to explore keeping them in new york city /long island cause if you move them -say goodbye to the cash cow cable deal .

Dobber Sports Expert

I didn\'t know about the cable deal, but to be honest if its upwards of 30 million per season, but its not effective till 2030, that\'s like 21 years down the road... You would think in 21 years time that the NHL will probably have a national sponsor rather than depending on regional outlets.

I\'m sure if you move a team to a region where you don\'t have much competition (with the NBA) like KC or Vegas? 30 million probably isn\'t that big of a sum in the grand scheme of things.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/..._YrChange.html

The Pens jumped 26% last year, Minny 21%, Nashville 14%, St. Louis 12%, SJ 9%, Avs 8%, so it\'s not like a lot of the American markets are struggling...

At the end of the day a NHL franchise is a business, and it\'s obviously in the red right now and something needs to change.

I just feel that in their circumstance where they face so much competition from Ranger/Devil fans that it would make their franchise a lot more profitable if they head to an area where they won\'t face that much competition.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

mister_mcgoo wrote:
    I\'d love to see them back in the Peg but for a variety of reasons I don\'t see that happening...I think southern ontario probably has the most promise for another Canadian franchise...do you guys up there still hear rumblings about Hamilton?

KC makes as much sense as Phoenix did
    I doubt you\'ll ever see an NHL franchise in a small Canadian market ever again. The latest on a 2nd team to Toronto was quite interesting, as the Leafs gave the appropriate answer of \"show me the study that says a 2nd team won\'t hurt my business\"... which is reasonable to request. At the end of the day, if the NHL wants a 2nd team in the Toronto area, the NHL will get one. I think we\'re more likely to see a 2nd Toronto team than a Hamilton team.

The Leafs have a long standing tradition in S.Ont,
    I\'m not sure how a 2nd team would be received by the fans.

Anyone from Southern Ontario want to weigh in here and provide an opinion?
    15 team keeper league, points only
    3 C, 6 W, 4 D
    core of 16, plus 3 rookies (**), 6 round annual draft

C - Thornton, M Richards, B Richards [McDonald, S. Koivu]
    W - Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, Vanek, St. Louis, Whitney, Hemsky [Hartnell, Knuble, Lupul]
    D - Gonchar, Visnovsky, Whitney, Kronwall [Kuba, Cumiskey]

Dobber Sports Master

in 2030 it\'s going to be around 30 mil per season
    right now I believe its in the 20 mil per season range
    its not something that\'s comin in 2030 , its already here.

I\'m not an expert on all the details though -I\'m just giving ball park figures .

so its up to whoever owns the isles if they want to walk away from that coin .right now , that 20 mil cable deal basically gets eaten up by the poor lease agreement the isles made with the county and smg years ago when payrolls we\'re 15 mil a year .

I\'ll agree with anyone who says the isles are in a sad state of affairs -but the way I see it is theres nowhere to go but up once you\'ve reached rock bottom .

Gotlaid wrote:
    I didn\'t know about the cable deal, but to be honest if its upwards of 30 million per season, but its not effective till 2030, that\'s like 21 years down the road... You would think in 21 years time that the NHL will probably have a national sponsor rather than depending on regional outlets.

I\'m sure if you move a team to a region where you don\'t have much competition (with the NBA) like KC or Vegas? 30 million probably isn\'t that big of a sum in the grand scheme of things.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/31/..._YrChange.html

The Pens jumped 26% last year, Minny 21%, Nashville 14%, St. Louis 12%, SJ 9%, Avs 8%, so it\'s not like a lot of the American markets are struggling...

At the end of the day a NHL franchise is a business, and it\'s obviously in the red right now and something needs to change.

I just feel that in their circumstance where they face so much competition from Ranger/Devil fans that it would make their franchise a lot more profitable if they head to an area where they won\'t face that much competition.

Dobber Sports Guru

postering, boys, postering.

Dobber Sports Expert

That\'s the problem I think even if there is a tv deal in place the Isles are losing money and lots of it. A team doesn\'t get into that much financial trouble because they lack a tv deal its because of a lack of fan interest, and one of my main arguments is that because they have to compete with 2 teams within the vicinity which is causing the lack of fan base.

A team like Columbus has nothing around, so they can draw from an untapped market. If a team gets moved to KC or Vegas, there isn\'t competition for fans. That to me makes more sense than trying to stay put because of a $20 million tv deal...