Thread: Sundin\'s retirement timeline

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Sundin\'s retirement timeline

Anyone have an idea when to expect Sundin to retire? I know he\'s on a one year contract and turns 37 in February.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:Sundin\'s retirement timeline

ask yourself this... what other options does TO have ?
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Icon

Donpaulo wrote:
    ask yourself this... what other options does TO have ?
    That\'s a pretty silly thing to ask one\'s self... regardless of how badly a team is managed, how much they rely on one player, or how much they might suck without said player, if a guy wants to retire, he\'s going to retire.

I have an inkling that sundin has already stayed with the leafs longer than he would\'ve liked to because he\'s loyal. I don\'t think Toronto sucking after his departure will hold him up from retiring.

In my opinion, he\'ll play this year, and if the leafs are no closer to contending for the cup than they ever are (which is likely to be the case), he\'ll skate via free agency two to a team that can give him a cup in a year or (ala ray bourque).

Post edited by: lanky522, at: 2007/09/21 12:12
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Prodigy

i can\'t say that i have any idea about what sundin\'s intentions are for his future, but i will weigh in by saying that he has plenty of gas in the tank. like him or not, leaf fans, this guy is still a really good player. i\'ve also been surprised at his media savvy; which is why i don\'t feel that he\'ll be retiring as a maple leaf. this guy has said the right things to the reporters for quite a few years now, and whatever he says is not necessarily how he really feels, imo. :S

Post edited by: chuckles, at: 2007/09/21 14:17
    DEFENCE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS

Dobber Sports Stud

I think its a reasonable question to ask, even if the lanky doesn\'t

not having another option in house means they will at the very least have to consider opening the wallet and offering Mats the top contract on the team for yet another season.

Even IF sundin was considering retirement, a 7 million dollar contract offer might prompt him to consider staying another season ?

for the record I never questioned the leafs suckitude, lanky said it not me

I asked about their options at pivot.

since the OP asked about retirement timeline and we honestly don\'t know what mats plans are, I went with the thought of how TLM are going to fill the void if Sundin leaves.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Dear God, $7M for Sundin? He\'ll sign a similar deal next year if his hip holds up and he thinks he can compete at the same level. Sundin is not going anywhere. He has a strong desire to retire a Maple Leaf (for some reason).

Why not step up and offer either Heatley or Hossa $8M next season when both are UFA\'s next summer? Better value than offering 7 large for what will be a 37 year old warrior with a few miles (kms?) on his odometer.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Apprentice

retierment timeline 1-2 more years depending on what he does this year...

Wellwood is our top C outside Sundin... watch when a big UFA C is coming up and the Leafs make a pitch in the 7+ million Range 1 more year and we clear up dead contact weight and 2 years before we clear the \"1 yr 2 way & 1 yr 1 way\" deals we currently have... Also within 2 years therr should be no more JFJ... so think 2 years and Sundin done... and we\'ll have new #1 C thats 28-30 ys old...
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

He\'ll play out the year in TO and then sign a one year deal with a contender and fellow swede, then he\'ll retire with a ring.
    He told me!