Thread: Richards for Backstrom(was) and 3rd overall

The Great One

Default Richards for Backstrom(was) and 3rd overall

Re- building in a long term keeper. I can also trade for Parise and a first overall. The pick could legitimately be EJ, Toews, Bernier, or Rask. Would you do either of these trades?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Re:Richards for Backstrom(was) and 3rd overall

Who could you expect to pick up with the 3rd overall pick?
    Herd World Order - 4 Life

Points Only League
    C - Thornton, Sedin, Kopitar, Connolly, Oshie, Gagner
    RW - Hemsky, Verbata, Erat, Hudler, Laich
    LW - Tanguay, Semin, Cole, Sterling
    D - Campbell, Corvo, EJ, Barker, Weber, Goligoski, Harrold
    G - Nabakov
    Farm - Hodgson

The Great One

The only one who would maybe be gone as a 1 or 2 is Toews otherwise the EJ, Rask, Bernier (la), and Kane are all still available...

Dobber Sports Sophomore

If you could trade richards for Backstrom and EJ I would do that in a second.

I have never been a big fan of anything in Tampa Bay, but in this case I think that bias has nothing to do with it. Richards for two players that will be cornerstones for their teams seems like a no brainer to me if you can swing that with the 3rd pick.
    Herd World Order - 4 Life

Points Only League
    C - Thornton, Sedin, Kopitar, Connolly, Oshie, Gagner
    RW - Hemsky, Verbata, Erat, Hudler, Laich
    LW - Tanguay, Semin, Cole, Sterling
    D - Campbell, Corvo, EJ, Barker, Weber, Goligoski, Harrold
    G - Nabakov
    Farm - Hodgson

Dobber Sports Ace

I would definately do the trade of Richards for Backstrom and any of the guys you would pick up with the third pick. Richards is stuck on the second line and plays with no name guys due to the salary structure of the Lightning.

I really like Parise (picked him up in a trade not too long ago) but I am concerned about the stagnant nature of the NJ franchise. Have been and always will be a more defenive team. Chicago is an up and coming team and having an option to pick up Toews straight up would be tempting with the first overall pick. If you are a gambling man might not be bad. I really don\'t see 100 point potential from Parise. Toews has that potential.

I think that in 3 years down the road, I would prefer to have Toews, Backstrom, and either EJ or Bernier over Richards and Parise. This may however put you at a disadvantage in the short term.

To recap, wave goodbye to Richards, take a chance on Teows (not too much risk in my opinion).

Post edited by: Enapai, at: 2007/09/16 14:40
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

The Great One

He rejected Backtsrom and the third but I noticed he has some depth at C with O\'sullivan as well. Am I selling Richards short with this offer? Should I even bother?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I don\'t think you are selling Richards short - I suspect the guy sees the same thing you do. Why would he do it? Looks to me like you need to sweeten the pot if you want to do the deal and then it becomes debatable as to whether it is worth it for you.

The Great One

I think the problem her is that we ar both re-building. I would part with any of my veterans but they may not be much good as his team is quite young as well- might be a stalemate...