Thread: Hofer opinions

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Hofer opinions

Wondering what everyone's take on Joel Hofer is. Is he the future starter in STL or is he probably a back up? What do you think his stats look like next season?

Thanks in advance.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Hofer opinions

It depends upon how long you want to wait, with your fingers crossed that the Blues don’t find another option. Jordan Binnington makes $6 million per year for the next three seasons. Unless he SERIOUSLY crashes and burns? Binny had an 0.913 save % (ok, so did Hofer), so the crease is his. Also, at age 30, Binny is coming into prime age for a GK.

2026-27 would be too long for me to tread water.
    FROZEN TUNDRA, 2023-24 league champions, Canadian Hockey Eh

12-team Yahoo league, 10th year. H2H. Keep 15

Aho, Monahan, Coyle, Kadri

Jarvis, Fiala, Slafkovsky, Byfield, Verhaeghe
    Josi, Morrissey, Montour
    Oettinger, Ullmark, Brossoit

Dobber Sports Ninja

With the way Binnington played in the 22-23 season, I traded for Hofer thinking Binnington was done. Now I'm not as high on Hofer taking away the starting role for at least two more years. With all the talk about Binnington being in the mix as the 4 Nations/Olympics starter for Team Canada, I can see his motivation being super high. That said, I do think Hofer will definitely be a number one in the NHL, but when is a more difficult question. He'd have to significantly outplay Binnington and his $6M stipend to usurp the number one job in St Louis.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    With the way Binnington played in the 22-23 season, I traded for Hofer thinking Binnington was done. Now I'm not as high on Hofer taking away the starting role for at least two more years. With all the talk about Binnington being in the mix as the 4 Nations/Olympics starter for Team Canada, I can see his motivation being super high. That said, I do think Hofer will definitely be a number one in the NHL, but when is a more difficult question. He'd have to significantly outplay Binnington and his $6M stipend to usurp the number one job in St Louis.
    Wholeheartedly agree on this. He will be a starter the question is when?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by DangerCat View Post
    Wholeheartedly agree on this. He will be a starter the question is when?
    I agree with both takes here- he certainly CAN be a starter- he'll have to prove it still but I really like where his game is at. Im not even a Binnington fan but I feel like hes sort of earned starter status in STL for now. Hes signed for 3 more seasons and Id imagine they squeeze in enough starts in for Hofer over the next two seasons so they at least know what they have him in him by Binningtons final year. Hes got an interesting NMC in his contract that has his "no go" destinations reduced each year from 18 next season, down to 14 the following year and finally arriving at just 10 in 26/27- which means the team has the most control in his final year and if hes due a raise at that point its not impossible the team shops him.

Considering that AND if we assume Hofer is the guy we think he is- then I could see something like- a little more starts than your average backup next year- maybe 30? The next year IF Hofer has had a good showing they could bump it up to 35/45 or even something closer resembling a tandem. In his final year Binny will be 33 and what happens next sort of depends on how these next two seasons go AND wheteher or not Binnington wants to stick around or try his luck on the open market. If thats his intent (sort of assuming it will be cause $$$) and Hofer really has stepped up (Im in this camp) I think thats when the transition happens- 26/27.

In the interim youve got 30 start potential either year and maybe even a tandem in 25/26.

Dang- Im gonna go make a pitch for this kid...

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think Hofer can be the starter for the Blues as soon as after next season. I don’t think Binnington is consistent enough to keep him between the pipes. With goalies you never know but if I’m the Blues I’d let him ease into starting this year.