Thread: Jake McCabe

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Jake McCabe

Hi all.

I’m in a win now position, 24 team dynasty bangers points, I’m trying to improve on my defence a bit and I’ve been offered Jake McCabe. He doesn’t get too many points but he is good bangers wise.

He’s been sitting between 4.5fp/g for the past two seasons but before that he wasn’t really getting close to 4. For him to make an impact in my squad he’d need to be above 4.

Wondering how likely it is he continues his current path? Is he worth trading two early third round picks for? Or one and Grebyonkin?
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Jake McCabe

With me being a fellow contender, you'll probably take my answer with a grain of salt anyway, but personally I wouldn't pay this for McCabe. Ds around 3.5 fanatsy points can be found basically for free every season. My guess is as good as yours when it comes to how McCabe will do in the next few seasons, but if he regresses only a bit, you've basically given two assets for an upgrade of 0.5 Fpts or something in that range...

...but then again, the air is thin at the top
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jankowski(C)
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson, Armia
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Zadorov, Moser, Cernak, Siegenthaler, Stanley
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Pickard

50 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, L.Bichsel, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, M.Pospisil, N.Huuhtannen, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Superstar

McCabe had an awesome year both for the Leafs and his Fantasy Hockey owners. However, I have serious doubts about his ability to put up the same kind of numbers next year. Specifically, his best season prior to this for hits was 166, the 220 he put up this year is a huge increase, almost an extra hit per game, I'm not sure he consistently does that moving forward. His SOG should remain the same and the BLKS, I would not be surprised to see a decrease in scoring, his 28 pts last year was also a career year. It's not like the asking price for McCabe is high, it's reasonable based on what he did last year, in fact very reasonable. I just have doubts that you're going to get last years numbers next year. I'm inclined to pass and as your competition did mention, if he does regress, and there is a significant chance that that happens, then ya, those 3.5 guys are typically available for little or no cost.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Deity

I think McCabe is capable of repeating what he did. He's still under contract for one more year and this year he's heading into a contract year. I usually like to bet on guys heading into contract years to do whatever they can to get the next payday.

The Leafs only have 4 D under contract for next year and even when they bring in FAs to fill holes, they dont have the cap space to bring in anything exciting so I cant see McCabe losing ice time. Of course we cant predict trades but as it stands today, I like McCabe for next year.

As far as the price goes, I'd counter with one of the 3rds and a later round pick (4th/5th?) instead of two 3rds. In a league this size, 3rd round picks still have "some" value but you're at the point where you're increasing the risk of them actually getting to the NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

For the cost, i think he is worth taking swing at, specially if its the prospect + 3rd. I would do that but with understanding that it could not work out.

I think if he can get you 30 points with all the other stuff he can do he is probably worth more than what you will pay for him.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the insights. I'll have a look around and see if I can find something a bit more consistent. @Wotan - I'll give you the same offer for Josi?
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.