Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Next MacKenzie Weegar ?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: The Next MacKenzie Weegar ?

A longshot similar to the already mentioned Tucker:
    A guy that came to my mind was Kesselring. His first NHL season was very solid and he's put up 15 goals in 59 AHL games last season, so he knows a thing or two about offense...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    A guy that came to my mind was Kesselring. His first NHL season was very solid and he's put up 15 goals in 59 AHL games last season, so he knows a thing or two about offense...
    Great call man. I picked him up for a time he was good and I think he could have a good future.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    Funny,
    In the WHL 24-team league with all Dobber forum members,
    Two guys I added this year was Matt Kessel and Michael Kesselring.
    Watched both, like the game of both. Both seem like very heads-up players.
    I thought both had good NHL game.

Great pick.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Glad my suggestion of Kesselring was received this positively - so I dare to mention two more guys:

They're completely different types of Ds than Weegar, but if we're simply looking at Ds that might take the next step in production, I like Zadorov and (on a way lower level for now) Stanley.

Zadorov might be a pretty obvious pick after his playoffs, but I still think he belongs in this list. Massive Ds are known to sometimes take a big step rather late in their careers. Chara had a few pretty insignificant years before he became a monster. I'm not saying we're going to have another Big Z, but Zadorov fits the mold a lot - not just because of the Z 😉. So with Zadorov getting more trust in VAN, watch out...

Stanley could just as well fizzle out into nothingness, but he needs a new contract and if someone lets him play regularly, I'm at least intrigued in what he could do.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Im not sure he totally fits the bill but Kandre Millers trade stock has seemingly taken a nosedive and the reality is that his ES scoring is as strong as its ever been.

Nils Lundqvist a post hype sleeper that could still end up as a secondary 40 point type guy somewhere- although with Harleys emergence it really doesnt look like it will be in Dallas. Still hes only 23 and hes a Joukke sleeper pick and hes never steered me wrong before lol!

I dont think either guy is a great comparable to Weegar though tbh...

Yegor Zamula is probably a bit closer to the mark. Hes a longer term play for sure but I added him after he was brought to my attention by a thread on here and so I look in him a little more than you might on your average 20 point guy- lol! He really striuggled the season prior to this and after a career low atoi of 13:23 and apparently was a bubble guy in training camp. Well he really stepped up and the coach has raved about him a few times. Hes back up to his usual 16 or so minutes and you have to love the minute and a half of pp time he sees each night which is up from a season average of about 4 seconds- lol! Looks to be largely on the second unit but hes making the best of it.

Defensively is more of a mixed bag. Ive read a few end of season reviews like this one that praise his play on the defensive side of the puck- and his being 6th on the team in BS helps that narrative- but along the way Ive also read how hes really been hot and cold in that regard. This article from early april is one of many articles I read through out the year that discusses how he really has struggled at times and that hes not "out of the woods" quite yet on that front. Some of this could be EJs decline- some of it could be the whole squad struggling with team defense but whatever it is itll be vital that he addresses it going forward.

The whole premise for including him here was that if he can shore up that side of his game enough to "hang around" on the Flyers- he could get meaningful exposure to a pretty high flying offense over the next couple years! Hes given Philly enough to keep them interested and if he can continue to do that he may develop into a useful secondary scorer- and if he can do that then hes young enough that he might get the chance to flex a top unit powerplay of his own someday. Its a longshot- lol- but so was weeeeeeeeeeegar!