C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

The Great One

Default Re: [TRADE] NYI and Chicago Trade Picks

Moving up two spots and then four spots, at the cost of a second rounder? Head scratcher. And I don't buy any argument that Chicago can have any sense as to a player who'd be there at 18 but not 20.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Interesting time for a trade like this.
    Usually this is the kind of trade that occurs when the team trading up knows is available.

Is moving up 2 spots when you know who is available really worth giving up an extra 2nd round pick (#61 overall)?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Islanders Acquire:
    Picks #20th overall, 54th overall, and 61st overall

Chicago Acquire:
    Picks #18th overall, and 50th overall
    Strange one indeed.

Hercules

IF Chicago signs all of their UFA's/RFA's they have 49/50 roster spots used up. I wonder if it's tied to just roster flexibility? Ya just seems too early for something like this.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    IF Chicago signs all of their UFA's/RFA's they have 49/50 roster spots used up. I wonder if it's tied to just roster flexibility? Ya just seems too early for something like this.
    Potentially - but even so...trade a 2nd round pick this year at the draft for a 2nd round pick next year?
    In my opinion that is a lot better value.

Managers and Scouts would easily make that trade when one of 'their guys' is available in the 2nd round where they didn't think he would be.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

My bet is Chicago isn't done, and they might try to move up once or twice more from that mid-first range to try to net one of the last top tier of Dmen available. If they can get to SJ's second pick (#14) then they have a shot. I'm wondering if this is them trying to cover their bases on wanting Demidov at #2, but also knowing this is the draft and chance to get another top-pairing Dman.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Ya, definitely a weird time to make a deal like this without even knowing who will be available at those spots.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    My bet is Chicago isn't done, and they might try to move up once or twice more from that mid-first range to try to net one of the last top tier of Dmen available. If they can get to SJ's second pick (#14) then they have a shot. I'm wondering if this is them trying to cover their bases on wanting Demidov at #2, but also knowing this is the draft and chance to get another top-pairing Dman.
    ^Yes.

More than anything - this means that CHI's scouting department made a list and said "We love the top18*... but don't love what could be here at #20".
    *Or, as EB suggested, they love some depth of picks... and are going to scratch & claw to keep inching-up to the "drop-off" on their depth list. Is it 18? Or is it something higher?

And the NYI scouting department was like "we don't see much difference from our 18-to-20... and we get a late 2nd out of this!... hell yeah..."

Makes sense, both teams.
    The bigger question - is... who does CHI have in that 14-18 range... because I want.to.KNOW!!!

The other day... (not sure how the rabbit hole took me there)... but I was reading about the string of draft-trades Brian Burke had to make to get to #2/#3 for the Sedins.
    They only had the #3.
    1st - They had to get close... which was moving out McCabe + picks to get to the #4.
    2nd - They moved the #4 and more picks for the #1... but 1st - 3rd was still not an assurance of both Sedins.
    3rd - They swapped their #1 with ATL's #2 + an assurance that ATL wouldn't take a Sedin (so it's not like Atlanta drafted "Number 1" - many people don't know this, I didn't! - it's more like VAN drafted 1/2 with Atlanta taking Patrik Stefan, as the #3 pick - but being announced & recorded first. People always hammer Patrik Stefan as one of the worst #1 picks of all-time... but he was a REALLY a #3 overall pick.)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Yes.

More than anything - this means that CHI's scouting department made a list and said "We love the top18*... but don't love what could be here at #20".
    *Or, as EB suggested, they love some depth of picks... and are going to scratch & claw to keep inching-up to the "drop-off" on their depth list. Is it 18? Or is it something higher?

And the NYI scouting department was like "we don't see much difference from our 18-to-20... and we get a late 2nd out of this!... hell yeah..."

Makes sense, both teams.
    The bigger question - is... who does CHI have in that 14-18 range... because I want.to.KNOW!!!

The other day... (not sure how the rabbit hole took me there)... but I was reading about the string of draft-trades Brian Burke had to make to get to #2/#3 for the Sedins.
    They only had the #3.
    1st - They had to get close... which was moving out McCabe + picks to get to the #4.
    2nd - They moved the #4 and more picks for the #1... but 1st - 3rd was still not an assurance of both Sedins.
    3rd - They swapped their #1 with ATL's #2 + an assurance that ATL wouldn't take a Sedin (so it's not like Atlanta drafted "Number 1" - many people don't know this, I didn't! - it's more like VAN drafted 1/2 with Atlanta taking Patrik Stefan, as the #3 pick - but being announced & recorded first. People always hammer Patrik Stefan as one of the worst #1 picks of all-time... but he was a REALLY a #3 overall pick.)
    So he’s still one of the worst #3 overall picks of all time hahaha! He wasn’t that bad just didn’t pan out as a superstar. Daigle was the same and btw I loved the short Docu on Amazon Prime about Daigle. The pressure must be immense on these kids and if you’re not a Crosby/OVI/McD for pressure it can cripple you. I mean look at Yak. First year he had a very good rookie season. Now I think he had a bad attitude but regardless he sank hard after that. Some kids I believe would be better off being later picks. But this is the big leagues!

I think for the isles to do this they either have a guy who is a bit of a swing or they are content with the talent available at 18-20. I think 15-40 are quite interchangeable. Lots of talented blueliners.

Head scratcher this far out from the draft!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

isles are probably attaching a pick or two to move a contract ; my guess would be Pageau (2 more years @ 5 mil aav)

up until this point lou's been using picks to move Garth Snow contracts (Ladd , Bailey )so this one would be his own doing .

Dobber Sports Titan

Makes sense for the Isles if they're planning to use one to move out a contract, then this way they keep the same number of picks they will actually make.

I do wonder if part of Davidson making the deal now is because closer to the draft it will likely just get more and more expensive to move up, so you move up now while there is some uncertainty, and hopefully just watch the value grow.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Master

also , does anyone know what the future considerations were ?

2023-Jun-29 (Bailey) Traded from New York Islanders with round 2 pick in the 2026 draft to Chicago Blackhawks for future considerations

source , Hockey DB

Dobber Sports Titan

Usually those don't ever get released or confirmed.