Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Next MacKenzie Weegar ?

The Great One

Default Re: The Next MacKenzie Weegar ?

Full disclosure - I only skimmed the other posts, but Skjei or Forsling are the names that came to mind. Maybe Liljegrien....maybe.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    Are you willing to put an offensive ceiling on Forsling - where does he top out points wise the upcoming 5 years? 55? 60? 65? 70?
    If a D can do 40pts at even-strength... they can definitely add 10-15 if on PP2... perhaps 20-30 if running PP1.
    So... yeah, Forsling has major upside if Montour isn't re-signed. Major, major upside.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Full disclosure - I only skimmed the other posts, but Skjei or Forsling are the names that came to mind. Maybe Liljegrien....maybe.
    Skjei... if he wasn't a 1st round pick who put up 39pts in his first full season... yeah, he'd possibly be a guy here.
    But once a guy does 40-ish... it doesn't feel like he can be a waiver-gem in fantasy leagues.

If somebody just had his 2017-2021 stats (25, 25, 24, 10pts)...
    He's exactly the type of guy.
    And his 39/38/47 in the 3-years to follow... goes to show that these guys exist if they get the PPTOI.

Dobber Sports Stud

Marcus Pettersson. With the injury history - and age - of the two D-men above him, he’ll be getting opportunity this upcoming season, then more in 2025-26. Predicting the future? Alex Vlasic.
    FROZEN TUNDRA, 2023-24 league champions, Canadian Hockey Eh

12-team Yahoo league, 10th year. H2H. Keep 15

Aho, Monahan, Coyle, Kadri

Jarvis, Fiala, Slafkovsky, Byfield, Verhaeghe
    Josi, Morrissey, Montour
    Oettinger, Ullmark, Brossoit

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Predicting the future? Alex Vlasic.
    I actually really like that pick.
    He's not getting PPTOI over Seth Jones, or Korchinski, and not if CHI drafts Levshunov.
    But that doesn't mean he can't do offense... and it might stay hidden for years.
    I like it. Time Machine away!!!

The biggest defensemen... they are the slowest of NHL development...
    And sometimes they don't really feel out their body and pace fully until age 27-30...

Dobber Sports Initiate

I’m going Vinny Desharnais hahaha jk jk. Very doubtful. I remember when I owned Nurse in a league and thought about acquiring Weegar. They were very similar players except for the 200 picks in draft position lol. I think I would easily take Weegar at this point though I do love Nurse in real life hockey on the oilers. Weegar is certainly an anomaly and even if there are players who have a similar ilk they need the opportunity. I used to view Tyler Tucker as a possible player like that but after this season I think it’s pretty certain what he will be the offence just wasn’t there. I do like Chisholm. Though I don’t know his periphs are in the same league as Weegar though. Silayev I think isn’t getting enough credit for Offence nor is Simashev but both these kids are highly touted. It’s hard for skill to go unnoticed.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Tyler Tucker and Chisholm are good mentions.
    That said - since they haven't played many NHL GP... people still have "hopes".
    The younger guys are still tough to get cheap in many leagues.

When guys get 5+ seasons in... we (the fantasy hockey folk) tend to just sign them up as "not offensive".
    I think a lot of people did that with Weegar. I did. He was a nothing for offensive upside for me! (WRONG!)
    Weegar bucked that trend by going from 3ppp seasons to 15ppp this season.
    That's amazing.

Some REP though - because I was studying Tucker hard last summer... his AHL numbers were... tempting (21pts in 41gp last season w/Springfield).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Tyler Tucker and Chisholm are good mentions.
    That said - since they haven't played many NHL GP... people still have "hopes".
    The younger guys are still tough to get cheap in many leagues.

When guys get 5+ seasons in... we (the fantasy hockey folk) tend to just sign them up as "not offensive".
    I think a lot of people did that with Weegar. I did. He was a nothing for offensive upside for me! (WRONG!)
    Weegar bucked that trend by going from 3ppp seasons to 15ppp this season.
    That's amazing.

Some REP though - because I was studying Tucker hard last summer... his AHL numbers were... tempting (21pts in 41gp last season w/Springfield).
    I know! Tucker is interesting. I really don’t see him exploding for any sort of fantasy relevance but like you said how many of us fantasy guy wrote off weegar too? I still will be keeping an eye on Tucker. Blues are on the cusp of a fly by night rebuild. Could be interesting!!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Speaking of STL - Matt Kessel is a guy I've been tracking last two years.
    He had 33pts in 71gp for Springfield in 22/23.

I watched him play 2 or 3 games with STL this year and quite liked his game.

Stats show him buried behind Scott Morrow and Ryan Ufko while with UMass-Amherst his final year.
    5th round pick.
    https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...php?pid=209430

Maybe... someday...

I love, love, LOVE the minimal celebration on this.
    Very Robert Thomas-ish. This is confidence in game - he expects to contribute occasionally.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Stats show him buried behind Scott Morrow and Ryan Ufko while with UMass-Amherst his final year.
    5th round pick.

Maybe... someday...

Very Robert Thomas-ish. This is confidence in game - he expects to contribute occasionally.
    Actually he’s another guy I’ve kept an eye on. It’s actually thanks to the dobber guide that alerted me to these two that I’ve tracked them. I like Kessel too. Again as far as offence goes it looks like it may not be much at the NHL level but he’s a guy who I think will play NHL minutes and I mean once that happens who knows!

- - - Updated - - -

5th round pick.

Maybe... someday...

And yeah what a feat to be buried behind Morrow and Ufko and still put up those numbers. He’s a solid prospect. I’m keeping an eye on him.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think David Savard fits Peng's Weegar description to a tee... though I think the window has likely closed for that O-boom.

A few years back though if he'd landed in a CGY-esque situation I think he could have surprised. Remember being high on him as youngster due to the big offence in junior (despite it being the Q).
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    I think David Savard fits Peng's Weegar description to a tee... though I think the window has likely closed for that O-boom.

A few years back though if he'd landed in a CGY-esque situation I think he could have surprised. Remember being high on him as youngster due to the big offence in junior (despite it being the Q).
    I mean I think we all thought D. Savard would burst he was a really high pick too. But he is a really good defenseman I really think his value in real
    Life is far superior to fantasy value.

Dobber Sports Rookie

What about Sean Durzi?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by BS~34 View Post
    What about Sean Durzi?
    Still could break out, but I think that is still more expected at this point and it wouldn't be a surprise because of his pedigree and age.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Still could break out, but I think that is still more expected at this point and it wouldn't be a surprise because of his pedigree and age.
    Agreed. I think he’s “discovered” already but he’s another good candidate