Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trading down from first overall

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Trading down from first overall

Deep franchise pool with large roster and large rookie bench (2 ways can go in and out of the lineup so Elc contracts are huge). NHL cap; hits/blocks/shots count but obviously goals/assists/pp points worth alot more. Can keep players indefinitely (as long as cap compliant).

What would it take for you to trade down from 1 in this year's draft using strictly picks from this year?

I'm talking with the gm who has 1st and I have 2nd and 5th; a few other GMs have multiple firsts as well (15 GMs in the pool). Just wanted to see it from the other perspective.

Cheers

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Trading down from first overall

I would have to think hard if I'd do it for the 2nd and 5th. What's the best case scenario- Demidov and Lindstrom/Buium? Think I would just stick with Celebrini.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I would have to think hard if I'd do it for the 2nd and 5th. What's the best case scenario- Demidov and Lindstrom/Buium? Think I would just stick with Celebrini.
    If I am reading it right, he's the one trying to trade up to get the 1st, not trade out of the 1st spot.

I'd have no issues offering the 2nd and "something". Not sure I'd include the 5th overall. Maybe a good prospect?? Cant see your roster so I dont really know who you own that may be a better option than the 5th OA.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Pro

Gm wants picks from this year in the top 10. I have some other good prospects but again, he wants to get a haul this year. My roster is middle of the pack... Coming out of a rebuild and at the tail end of it but not quite ready to compete yet

Dobber Sports Deity

I think I'd just keep what you have then. There's no doubt that Celebrini is the darling of this years draft but he's not that much of a game breaker where I'd mortgage two top 5 picks for him. You're overpaying for the hype, which happens more often than not heading into fantasy drafts.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'd like to see your full roster. For me it's more about quality rather than quantity. IMO, Celebrini is a significant step up from the rest, and he is likely the only player in this draft that might play a full NHL season next year. No guarantees with these young players but from what I have seen of him, from the scouting reports and from the rankings, there are strong indications that Celebrini is a potentially above average first overall. I'm looking to add that kind of player to my team if it makes sense to do so knowing there will be associated cost. I will also add that positional requirements may come into play here. Half of the top 10 are D and they are good ones. If you need to build some depth on your back end, then not pursuing Celebrini might make sense. Again, seeing you full roster would help.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If I am reading it right, he's the one trying to trade up to get the 1st, not trade out of the 1st spot.

I'd have no issues offering the 2nd and "something". Not sure I'd include the 5th overall. Maybe a good prospect?? Cant see your roster so I dont really know who you own that may be a better option than the 5th OA.
    I understand- he wants to trade up to 1OA. I'm just saying I don't think I'd take 2 and 5 for 1. I haven't done a deep dive on Celebrini but my understanding is that he's a comparable prospect to Jack Hughes and above recent #1s like Dahlin, Laffy, and others. My philosophy is to take the star elite prospect with the highest upside which looks to be Celebrini.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    I understand- he wants to trade up to 1OA. I'm just saying I don't think I'd take 2 and 5 for 1. I haven't done a deep dive on Celebrini but my understanding is that he's a comparable prospect to Jack Hughes and above recent #1s like Dahlin, Laffy, and others. My philosophy is to take the star elite prospect with the highest upside which looks to be Celebrini.
    I've read he's more of a Jonathan Toews type player than a Jack Hughes one, but those are just comparables. Nothing wrong with Toews but he isn't a game breaker like a Hughes would be. Hard to say how he will turn out. Either way, I am just the opposite as you, I wouldnt trade the 2 and 5 for him. I'd rather keep the quality depth.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I've read he's more of a Jonathan Toews type player than a Jack Hughes one, but those are just comparables. Nothing wrong with Toews but he isn't a game breaker like a Hughes would be. Hard to say how he will turn out. Either way, I am just the opposite as you, I wouldnt trade the 2 and 5 for him. I'd rather keep the quality depth.
    I just meant quality of prospect. Style-wise, Toews is what I have heard as well but he’s a better prospect than Toews was.

Dobber Sports Icon

I think there is at worst 50/50 chance that Celebrini does not end up best player in the draft

if it’s me I prefer 2 lottery picks to one
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Stud

ill take the 2 and 5 pick side.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Pro

Also, the lottery draft was done Tuesday so the gm does in fact own the 1st pick of that helps (draft order is set)

Dobber Sports Pro

My roster has the following key pieces:

T thompson
    J hughes
    Eichel
    Verhaege
    Bunting
    Pasta

Heiskanen
    Weegar
    Toews
    Byram

UpL
    Oettinger

Elc: zary, Stankoven, Fantili, H Lapierre, mintyukov,

Prospects
    Snuggerrud, cowan, mcgroarty, lekkermiaki, kulich

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    My roster has the following key pieces:

T thompson
    J hughes
    Eichel
    Verhaege
    Bunting
    Pasta

Heiskanen
    Weegar
    Toews
    Byram

UpL
    Oettinger

Elc: zary, Stankoven, Fantili, H Lapierre, mintyukov,

Prospects
    Snuggerrud, cowan, mcgroarty, lekkermiaki, kulich
    Given your roster, a ton of F's and no D prospects, what I would consider a significant lack of Defensive depth, I would utilize that 2nd and 5th overall to address that shortcoming. You could certainly add one blue chip D prospect and that 5th likely lands you a second blue chip D prospect, this draft is very D strong. Certainly, you have more options with the two picks rather than just the one. This also aligns with what the majority of folks are saying here, I was in the minority, but again, given your roster and what I consider positional requirements, I'm now in agreement that keeping those two picks is the preferred way to go.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think:

At1 99% Celebrini is top6 NHLer... 80% chance he's a 80-pt+ guy at his prime
    At2 90% Demidov* is top6 NHLer... 70% chance he's a 80-pt+ guy at his prime (Russia risk, as always)
    At5... I think this is either topD (Levshunov), Cayden Lindstrom, or...

The thing is... I don't love the #5 slot... I think if the four guys above go... that #5 pick... mmm.... could end up being the 15th best player in this draft.
    (BobbyMac's scout-consult list at 6-10 has three D-men before the next F, Helenius. Added - I think Silyayev falls in most FANTASY-drafts, because he's going to be the best shutdown-D in the draft... but that ain't good for most fantasy leagues. That D-group... who knows which one pans out the best.)

So... If I'm holding #1... I say no... because I don't love the #5.
    And... if I'm holding #2 & #5... I'm worried about that #5.

I will say - IF Demidov goes to Chicago... he's lock-dynamic-wing with Bedard... we're talking McDavid/Draisaitl high-end potential.
    So... that's why anybody would look to "trade down" - they have to get that #2... and they probably have to convince themself they are getting Demidov (CHI)... Demidov (anywhere else) - much-less value.

Does your league pick BEFORE or AFTER NHL draft?

Summary: #1 for #2+#4... yeah... that's pretty close to fair. If I had the #1... I might do that if I know I'm getting Demidov(CHI) + one of Lindstrom/Levshunov.
    But that #5 worries me.
    If I'm holding #1... and I'm getting an offer of #2 and #5... I probably still need more.