Thread: Byfield vs Slafkovsky

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Byfield vs Slafkovsky

Who do you think has the higher upside?
    20 Team Dynasty - Categories (Start 4 C, 4 LW, 4 RW, 7 D, 2 SKT, 2 Goalies)

Skater Categories - G, A, PTS, Pim, PPG, PPP, SHP, GWG, HT, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW

Goalie Categories - W, GA, GAA, SVS, SV %, SO

C- McDavid, Eichel, T Thompson, Hischier, D Strome, R Strome
    LW- Kaprizov, B Tkachuk, Guentzel, Hyman, Slafkovsky, Zegras, Barbashev, Kaliyev
    RW- Pastrnak, M Tkachuk, Marner, Boldy, Kempe, Lafreniere, Teravainen
    D- McAvoy, Pietrangelo, Ferraro, M Anderson, McCabe, Seeler, Middleton, Brodin, Pelech
    G
    - Sorokin, Askarov, Nedeljkovic

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Byfield vs Slafkovsky

Upside is an imaginary idea of what they might be. At the end of the day, upside means nothing.

Better question is who do we think will end up with the better career. For me, I think it's really early to tell, as both are still trending upward. If I had to gamble, I'd probably stick with Byfield by a hair. I just don't trust Montreal as much as far as player development goes. Not just Slafkovsky, but those around him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Owning both - I like the full range of skills I'm seeing from Slafkovsky.
    Mostly - better shot, better decision-making.
    I've started pushing that Slaf has 100pt upside - as Suzuki/Caufield start to really gel with him.

Byfield has really started coming on - but I don't see the dynamic LA center in their pipeline to get Byfield to that upper-echelon.
    Kopitar has the two-year extension coming... and he'll be age 37 to start next season... and 38 for the season after.
    That might be it for a guy with a cup ring. Not really anything left to play for - unless he absolutely just LOVES playing.
    $120m in career earnings for Anze! That's an OK career, LOL.
    He's already a first-ballot HHOF-er, IMO, with 1211pts in 1373gp and a cup ring or two.

(So - a bit of my weight is team dependent.)

Dobber Sports Novice

If you look at their stats for the season, they're nearly the same player - 20 goals, 14 ppp, 30 and 35 assists, 152 and 161 shots... slafvovsky with the edge in hits 152 to 66, but plus/minus (if your league has it) wildly in byfield's favor 19 to -19.

As for what their future holds, for who has the 'higher upside' ?

Short term I'd go Byfield - LA is better than MTL, though their age (Kopitar's specifically) will rend than team shortly where the youth of the Canadiens should see a better long term return - in forecast for 'what they have now' anyway.

Fantasy, I think it's if +/- or hits matter more... Byfield would be my pick of the 2 for next year, but that's why we have trades & weekly moves.

Goodluck!
    TKL - Tiered Keeper League - 2/4, 4/6, 5/rest + 1 GK - 4c, 4r, 4l, 6d, 2gk, 5bn

JTMiller, Aho, Ek, Kopitar
    Rantanen, Barzal, Palmieri, Bratt
    Forsberg, Hagel, Stutzle, Joshua
    Fox, Weegar, Doughty, Forsling, Rielly, McCabe
    Manson, Pinto, Frost, Hertl, Henrique
    Oetter, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Owning both - I like the full range of skills I'm seeing from Slafkovsky.
    Mostly - better shot, better decision-making.
    I've started pushing that Slaf has 100pt upside - as Suzuki/Caufield start to really gel with him.

Byfield has really started coming on - but I don't see the dynamic LA center in their pipeline to get Byfield to that upper-echelon.
    Kopitar has the two-year extension coming... and he'll be age 37 to start next season... and 38 for the season after.
    That might be it for a guy with a cup ring. Not really anything left to play for - unless he absolutely just LOVES playing.
    $120m in career earnings for Anze! That's an OK career, LOL.
    He's already a first-ballot HHOF-er, IMO, with 1211pts in 1373gp and a cup ring or two.

(So - a bit of my weight is team dependent.)
    Byfield IS that dynamic center he's lacking. He is just getting the game down from the wing first.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^BUT... a lot of players who shift from wing-to-center get a LOT of (fantasy) stats pulled back when they do that shift.
    There's a lot of offensive-focus that gets pulled back when a young kid starts needing to constantly think about that two-way game.
    It's a hard transition.

For fantasy, if apples are close to apples, I'll take a winger over a winger-shifting-to-center any day.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by IRSlotsFull View Post
    If you look at their stats for the season, they're nearly the same player - 20 goals, 14 ppp, 30 and 35 assists, 152 and 161 shots... slafvovsky with the edge in hits 152 to 66, but plus/minus (if your league has it) wildly in byfield's favor 19 to -19.
    Slafkovsky, age 20, just finished NHL s2.
    Byfield, age 22 in Aug, just finished NHL s4.
    There's a developmental curve here, in real-NHL game and statistically, that is favoring Slafkovsky.

Slafkovsky also passes the eye test for me.
    (I like Byfield too... don't get me wrong - but what Slaf is doing in s2 is > Byfield in s3.)

Dobber Sports Ace

There's a developmental curve here, in real-NHL game and statistically, that is favoring Slafkovsky.

(I like Byfield too... don't get me wrong - but what Slaf is doing in s2 is > Byfield in s3.)
    Yep. This right here. I prefer Slaf of the two.

Dobber Sports Star

I think you have to go with Slaf given better production at a younger age. Still could go either way.

That’s a tough one… Slavkoski had very little value until last December when he started to figured out how to be effective with his body. Many people in Mtl were saying it was another bad pick. But now he seem to be trending in the right direction in accelerate.
    But I still prefer a little bit Byfield here. I could change very quick if Slaf continue his progression next year…
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies
    Fowards: G, A
    Defense: G, A, short handed time (0,25 pt / 2 min)
    Goalies: W 2 pt, OT lost 1pt, Shootout lost 1pt, shutout 1pt

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Rust, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, Sharangovich
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Heiskanen, Montour, Theodore, Ekholm
    G: Sorokin, Bobrovsky
    Bench: Skinner, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, DeBrusk, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Korchinski, Fleury, Samsonov, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka, Ersson
    Farm: Snuggerud, Miroshnichenko, But, Brisson, Rosen

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd take Slaf for this reason too.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Appreciate all the responses! I ended up trading Byfield for Slaf so now I’m hoping he takes another step in his development next season.

Skater Categories - G, A, PTS, Pim, PPG, PPP, SHP, GWG, HT, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW

LW- Kaprizov, B Tkachuk, Guentzel, Hyman, Slafkovsky, Zegras, Barbashev, Kaliyev
    D- McAvoy, Pietrangelo, Ferraro, M Anderson, McCabe, Seeler, Middleton, Brodin, Pelech
    G

Dobber Sports Icon

I didn’t get in here fast enough but I firmly believe that this will come back and bite you in you know what as soon as next year and then will keep biting you even more in years to come.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    I didn’t get in here fast enough but I firmly believe that this will come back and bite you in you know what as soon as next year and then will keep biting you even more in years to come.

Hopefully not haha.

G