Thread: Dangling around Mackinnons value

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Dangling around Mackinnons value

In a league with same settings as league in signature I’ve been offering around Mackinnon to make a quick retool.

I sent an offer of my Mack for Fantilli, Michkov and Cooley. That offer was laughed at. Am i overvaluing Mackinnon here? I’m looking to make a lottery ticket trade that is boom or bust.

Edit- See my signature isn’t posted- 16 team dynasty league. Scoring categorys are G, A, PTS, Hits, FOW, SOG, BLKs, TOI, W, Sv%, GAA, Sv. Max of 2 goalies on active roster. Minor eligibility is 150 games

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Dangling around Mackinnons value

I don't think that offer is laughable at all.

I acquired MacKinnon in my 14-team, 14-keeper dynasty this past season and paid Kaprizov, Brandt Clarke and a pick upgrade in his favor to do it. And it proved to be worth every penny.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Anyone who laughed at that offer is not too bright. Maybe the guy is rebuilding and doesn't want MacKinnon. I don't really get the response.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Novice

If they have those prospects, it sounds like they're in a building phase; though they could easily have top talent also and have drafted prospects - then I'd bet they finished in the middle of the pack?

Your offer, I think, is spot on at 3-for-1. MacKinnon's value is going to be highest to your teams that finished 2nd-6th though - they're striking NOW & an improvement like Mac will give them a leg up for next year. Teams out of the playoffs may be stocking up on potential to try and make playoffs next year and then start winning in 2-3 years; while MacKinnon is going to be great then also, they may not want to pay as much since he doesn't fit with their other guys who will just be starting to take off.

Also - What's the keeper format in your league?
    TKL - Tiered Keeper League - 2/4, 4/6, 5/rest + 1 GK - 4c, 4r, 4l, 6d, 2gk, 5bn

JTMiller, Aho, Ek, Kopitar
    Rantanen, Barzal, Palmieri, Bratt
    Forsberg, Hagel, Stutzle, Joshua
    Fox, Weegar, Doughty, Forsling, Rielly, McCabe
    Manson, Pinto, Frost, Hertl, Henrique
    Oetter, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Ace

If I’m rebuilding, I definitely want the Fantilli, Michkov, Cooley side.

If I’m a playoff team, I actually still prefer the Fantilli, Michkov, Cooley side, but it is definitely not a laughable offer.

Dobber Sports Stud

Not laughable at all. Big Mack wins championships. In my dynasty league, Mackinnon was on the Championship team 4 of the last 5 years. He's an absolute fantasy beast. Last season: 59g, 81a, 405 SOG, 48 ppp, 607 FOW. Wow.

Bit of a side note: Why does your league not use power play points as a category?
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I prefer Mackinnon but I get understand why others would choose the grade A prospects here. As others said it will depend of where your team is in term of winning now or in 3-4 years.
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies
    Fowards: G, A
    Defense: G, A, short handed time (0,25 pt / 2 min)
    Goalies: W 2 pt, OT lost 1pt, Shootout lost 1pt, shutout 1pt

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Rust, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, Sharangovich
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Heiskanen, Montour, Theodore, Ekholm
    G: Sorokin, Bobrovsky
    Bench: Skinner, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, DeBrusk, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Korchinski, Fleury, Samsonov, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka, Ersson
    Farm: Snuggerud, Miroshnichenko, But, Brisson, Rosen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by IRSlotsFull View Post
    If they have those prospects, it sounds like they're in a building phase; though they could easily have top talent also and have drafted prospects - then I'd bet they finished in the middle of the pack?

Your offer, I think, is spot on at 3-for-1. MacKinnon's value is going to be highest to your teams that finished 2nd-6th though - they're striking NOW & an improvement like Mac will give them a leg up for next year. Teams out of the playoffs may be stocking up on potential to try and make playoffs next year and then start winning in 2-3 years; while MacKinnon is going to be great then also, they may not want to pay as much since he doesn't fit with their other guys who will just be starting to take off.

Also - What's the keeper format in your league?
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Not laughable at all. Big Mack wins championships. In my dynasty league, Mackinnon was on the Championship team 4 of the last 5 years. He's an absolute fantasy beast. Last season: 59g, 81a, 405 SOG, 48 ppp, 607 FOW. Wow.

Bit of a side note: Why does your league not use power play points as a category?
    I don’t see why we would? I don’t see how that’s needed outside of points on its own.

It’s a full dynasty keep all

Thanks boys I was wondering if I was delusional here.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

There's a lot of context towards whether MacK is worth 3 high-level prospects.

Depends on several factors, mostly:
    *#Keepers Per Team
    *Whether cap/cost per player is incorporated

In a 16-team dynasty, let's say everybody keeps... 30 guys... and that the "fringe last keeper/best waiver player" = 30pt forward.
    In that case, one might say:
    *MacKinnon: 120pt player = +90pts (+fringe F 30pts, +fring F 30pts)
    *Fantilli: Future 90pt player = +60pts
    *Michkov: Future 90pt player = +60pts
    *Cooley: Future 90pt player = +60pts

So here... MacKinnon's +90pt value is completely dwarfed by the +180 from the kids. Definitely HARD NO... I'd laugh at you too if this is the count.

Now... as that "fringe forward" shifts up... that's where MacKinnon gains the value.
    Let's say the league is "partial keeper" and fringe-forwards are around the 60pt mark.
    [Probably - the most common "partial keepers" out there have waiver forwards that can play at 60pt paces here & there just available for free-grab from FA/waivers.]

MacKinnon 120pts + 2 fringe forwards at 60pts, 60pts. 240 NOW forward points.
    Trio of Kids 3x90pts... but you have to WAIT for them to get there. Eventually... MAYBE... 270 FUTURE forward points. But it's a maybe... and it's a long ways off.

Here... the instant 240pts from MacKinnon and Scrubs might be worth it.
    The kids probably won't point to 240pts (3x80) for THREE MORE FULL SEASONS.
    So - I like MacKinnon side here.

In ANY form of cap league - MacKinnon at $13m is just too much money.
    Three kids on ELC cap hits of about $1m... oh, that's delicious - and depending on where the league CAP LIMIT is... could be "top value" of points:to:cost.

So... lot of factors.
    I read "dynasty" - and my instant thought was "Two elite prospects... maybe. Three, nope... too big an ask."

Dobber Sports Superstar

MacK is one of very few generational talent level NHL players. Why would you trade him? MacK is the type of player you try to acquire, not trade away. He is 28 in his prime and will be for 3 or 4 more years. maybe more. If I am moving him, and I'm not BTW, I want a stupid return. Case closed. Your asking price is just fine and if you settle for less you're making a big mistake IMO.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf