Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Middle age and mortality

The Seeker

Default Re: Middle age and mortality

I’ve always been a pretty optimistic guy. Things usually seem to end up just fine and any hiccups are just minor setbacks. I’m sure you’re sale and move will work out just fine!
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Stud

Professional OCD can be a good thing! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. But as long as you don’t let the anxiety and OCD rob you out of life’s best opportunities, you’re probably ok.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Professional OCD can be a good thing! Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. But as long as you don’t let the anxiety and OCD rob you out of life’s best opportunities, you’re probably ok.
    From your - and my wife's, and my therapist's, etc, - mouths to my ears. If only it were that easy........
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    So my wife and I just set into motion the purchase of our "forever home." We figured why stay where we are now, when we no longer will be availing ourselves of the school district and no longer need to be located to close to everything. And the price of our house has TRIPLED since we bought it. But instead of getting excited, I fear that something bad will happen. I've found that as I age, it's far easier for me to dread the worst rather than get excited about what lies ahead. Has anyone else noticed similar feelings, or is this just my OCD robbing me of my happiness?
    It may be a normal psychological response? I watched it happen with my father, no OCD. Long story short, my edit - septuagenarian [not octogenarian] parents had to select a new house to live in after spending the last 15 years living with my sister. My dad didn't like any house he looked at all, not because of the house, but I believe it was a challenge to accept the situation, and also knowing it will likely be the last house he lives in. Maybe "forever home" isn't the best label for it?

I also see a lot of hesitation around retiring. My x-co-workers seem to really struggle with that transition but once they make the commitment they don't look back. I think your home transition will go well, its always stressful and there are always some surprises but people do it all the time! Congratulations!

*I have issues with dread and negativity spirals, but they are incredibly cyclical, and I cant pinpoint the cause (more on that below). Its annoying because I know i'm in a bad frame of mind, fully acknowledged, but have no ability to change it, I have to "ride it out".

My turn - after reading through this important thread I have so much to share but Ill try to keep it brief, knowing most of us have similar challenges, and most have more impactful challenges than I do.
    Last year I realized that I had to change my eating habits or I would have the same quad bypass both of my parents have had. Its a long and tough recovery, I dont want to go through. So I changed - no more processed garbage - chips, candy, pop, cookies, cereal etc. And no more alcohol. The results have been fantastic. Sugar is the #1 lethal drug no one wants to talk about in that way. Big positive step and Im on my way right? Well,
    Im almost 50, and I spent the last week getting to know my new friend Art Hritis and his pal Volt Aren. Bigger than that, is that I had to buy my parents that house... I was a year away from mortgage free living - my life decisions have largely been based on getting out of the work grind as soon as possible. I am not dealing with this situation well. It totally caught me off guard, and Ive basically shut down and given up on the future I had envisioned for myself. Doesnt help that it happens now, during a midlife crisis of sorts, where I'm reflecting on myself realizing I am also probably slightly autistic (undiagnosed at this time, but the tests are coming). I know its first world, and could be much worse but its the life Im living. :-/

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    It may be a normal psychological response? I watched it happen with my father, no OCD. Long story short, my octogenarian parents had to select a new house to live in after spending the last 15 years living with my sister. My dad didn't like any house he looked at all, not because of the house, but I believe it was a challenge to accept the situation, and also knowing it will likely be the last house he lives in. Maybe "forever home" isn't the best label for it?

I also see a lot of hesitation around retiring. My x-co-workers seem to really struggle with that transition but once they make the commitment they don't look back. I think your home transition will go well, its always stressful and there are always some surprises but people do it all the time! Congratulations!

*I have issues with dread and negativity spirals, but they are incredibly cyclical, and I cant pinpoint the cause (more on that below). Its annoying because I know i'm in a bad frame of mind, fully acknowledged, but have no ability to change it, I have to "ride it out".

My turn - after reading through this important thread I have so much to share but Ill try to keep it brief, knowing most of us have similar challenges, and most have more impactful challenges than I do.
    Last year I realized that I had to change my eating habits or I would have the same quad bypass both of my parents have had. Its a long and tough recovery, I dont want to go through. So I changed - no more processed garbage - chips, candy, pop, cookies, cereal etc. And no more alcohol. The results have been fantastic. Sugar is the #1 lethal drug no one wants to talk about in that way. Big positive step and Im on my way right? Well,
    Im almost 50, and I spent the last week getting to know my new friend Art Hritis and his pal Volt Aren. Bigger than that, is that I had to buy my parents that house... I was a year away from mortgage free living - my life decisions have largely been based on getting out of the work grind as soon as possible. I am not dealing with this situation well. It totally caught me off guard, and Ive basically shut down and given up on the future I had envisioned for myself. Doesnt help that it happens now, during a midlife crisis of sorts, where I'm reflecting on myself realizing I am also probably slightly autistic (undiagnosed at this time, but the tests are coming). I know its first world, and could be much worse but its the life Im living. :-/
    I gotta say, Volt...Aren really is great stuff for those unaware. I also take 100mg of Celebrex every day, and that is super helpful with my spondlyoarthritis.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/