Thread: Byfield

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Byfield

Just picked this guy up in my league in sig. What's the forum feeling on him? Is he for real?

He doesn't play a lot of minutes 5-on-5 and is not on PP1, so maybe he's just on a puck luck bender. At the same time, he was drafted in the range of elite players so maybe he's just starting to figure it out... Should I sell high or could he be a keeper as soon as this season?

Love the input, as always!
    11 teams keeper league. Points only.
    We start 12 F + 6 D + 2 G.
    Protect 11 skaters or 10 skaters + 1 goalie each season.
    Goalies : 2 pts for a W, 3 pts for a SO + 1 pt for an OTL.

Roster for 2023-24.
    F : Bedard, Stützle, Bratt, Boldy, Benn, Byfield, Perfetti, Kuznetsov, Kempe, Stephenson, Seguin, Danault
    D : Q. Hughes, Seider, Hutson, Harley, Durzi, DeAngelo
    G : Sorokin, Kochetkov
    Bench : Larkin, Stone, Hayton, Sergachev, Korpisalo

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Byfield

He's playing a bit of the Hyman role (which TOR & EDM fans are familar with)...
    He's the essential 3rd part of a line that has great possession because he can win puck battles and protect the puck.
    So... yes - he will "seem" to get a lot of token assists.
    That said - the line works well because of him.

Eventually - he'll probably be on PP1.
    Either next season (24-25) or the following (25-26), he IS going to pop into the next Tage Thompson.
    He's for-real good.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pashowretty View Post
    Just picked this guy up in my league in sig. What's the forum feeling on him? Is he for real?

He doesn't play a lot of minutes 5-on-5 and is not on PP1, so maybe he's just on a puck luck bender. At the same time, he was drafted in the range of elite players so maybe he's just starting to figure it out... Should I sell high or could he be a keeper as soon as this season?

Love the input, as always!
    what you see right now is not as much real as it is a bridge to real...i believe he will be much better than he is right now and he is already pretty good. Still very young and has improved every year so far with bigger jump it appears in 23-24
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Novice

His peripherals (hits, blocks, PIM) seem rather light at this point for a guy of his size. Is he a gentle giant, or do we expect the physical play to increase as he gets more confident?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by vic rattlehead View Post
    His peripherals (hits, blocks, PIM) seem rather light at this point for a guy of his size. Is he a gentle giant, or do we expect the physical play to increase as he gets more confident?
    I don't believe he's ever been a hitter, so I wouldn't expect that to start. If everything clicks, he's more of a Joe Thornton type, primarily a playmaker (not as good as Jumbo Joe) with some scoring. You'll hear Tage Thompson being compared to Byfield a lot and I think that comparison works, except for Byfield being less of a scorer and more of a distributor.