Thread: Goalie cats vs skater cats

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Goalie cats vs skater cats

New draft upcoming; If the goalie cats are high does that make goalies more desirable to own or does it make it easier to draft goalies later on? To give some context, most 1a or higher goaltenders have equal or higher per game averages than the best skaters in this format. What to do?

Administrator

Default Re: Goalie cats vs skater cats

Need more info here. Lay out the scoring system and we can best advise.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

H2H
    G/A/H/BLK/PPG/SOG all (1) point

SO/W/GAA/SV% all (1) point w/ 2 active

Administrator

That's a pretty standard ratio of 6/4 skater to goalie categories so it doesn't overtly tilt things one way or another.

The key is that you have 2 rate stats and 2 volume stats among your goalie categories and one of those volume stats is random and scarce (shutouts). So that makes this almost a 6/3 tilt, with the bulk of the goalie categories being rate stats. This incentives a focus on hitting your weekly start minimums and emphasizing efficient starts. So you want to be picking and choosing favourable matchups for your goalies. Since you are picking and choosing your starts, you are better served at your draft focusing on goalies from good defensive teams but more than anything not reaching for goalies in general. A 1B on a good team like Jeremy Swayman is going to be more efficient than a 1A on a bad team like Jordan Binnington. I'd want to have one good starter from a good team and otherwise go with a patchwork. And new good goalies are emerging every year (take Filip Gustavsson last year as an example). Leave yourself open to finding the next Gustavsson off the waiver.

So in this setup I'm leaning heavily towards drafting my skaters. They are more consistent and projectable. Don't get caught up in the goalie run. Wait for value. The best goalies this year WILL have an outsized value in your league but the best goalies are not the same from year to year so it's hard to know for sure who to take.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks Steve.
    I was thinking the same thing using your Gustavsson example, but hadn't seen this many goalies having such high point totals. Skaters it is!