Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Babcock Resignation/Photos

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Babcock Resignation/Photos

I wonder what this does to Quenneville's chances..?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    We'll have to take a look through his phone to see what he's been up to the last few years.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by loppantorkel View Post
    The Quenneville situation was because he didn't disclose something that he knew and should have?

It wasn't because of the way he coached, or the way he treated the players, correct?

So I would assume that if Quenneville has learned not to sweep important things under the rug because his team is about to win a Cup..

Then he could received a 2nd shot.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

The Seeker

He doesn’t deserve one. Not even close.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    He doesn’t deserve one. Not even close.
    No but he’ll say that he has learned from his mistakes and will be better for it next time around. That’s how it works. Teams want to win and be given the best chance to win by hiring coaches with sketchy records but still won. Babcock should have known better than to do what he did. Keep it basic. Read the room.

The Seeker

My post was referring to Quenville just to make sure we’re clear. I think you got that. What makes Babcock so much worse is his inability to not play power struggle mind games. He is truly a sociopath. Quenville is not a sociopath. He is a decent coach who made the colossally terrible decision to put the team above the sexual assault of one of his players. He did not have the courage or conviction to speak up when no one else would. What he did is inexcusable and the level of damage that he allowed Aldrich to inflict, both with the Blackhawks and later in other programs, is so severe that he has forfeited the right to be included in the league at any level. He was responsible, through his inaction, for the ruin of a number of young psyches. He does not deserve a second chance. He should not be allowed anywhere near the sport of hockey. Accountability should be everything here.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports All-Star

I know it was Q. I’m listening to the guys on Overdrive and it’s so true what they are saying. Babs was going through the phones not for anything good, he was doing it to find something on somebody that he could use later against that player. He also wasn’t out there bettering himself, he was “volunteering” his time in minor hockey until his Leaf checks ran out.

He made Marner look like a fool and he was fishing for another one. Just stupid foolish stuff from a guy who really needs help. Is he a HOF’er?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    I know it was Q. I’m listening to the guys on Overdrive and it’s so true what they are saying. Babs was going through the phones not for anything good, he was doing it to find something on somebody that he could use later against that player. He also wasn’t out there bettering himself, he was “volunteering” his time in minor hockey until his Leaf checks ran out.

He made Marner look like a fool and he was fishing for another one. Just stupid foolish stuff from a guy who really needs help. Is he a HOF’er?
    Woah if that is actually true, that is some straight up sociopath behavior. Imagine as a manager doing that to an employee, trying to find dirt on them so you can let's say make them work on the weekends and more overtime.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Hercules

OverDrive is making a big point there with is Babcock now a HOFer and does he get invited to anniversary events for the Leafs and Detroit?

Funny enough though he does finish top 10 in franchise history for wins with the Jackets
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Does anyone think that there was some risk/reward value in hiring Babcock?
    What if Jarmo hired him and he did have a new perceptive and was still a really good coach.

Babcock was one of the most coveted and successful coaches in an era.
    He was selected to coach Team Canada multiple times and the Maple Leafs paid him a ginormous amount to coach there.

So Jarmo took a risk on hiring a once really good coach.

Obviously he interviewed him prior to hiring and believed that the coach had changed his ways.

Imagine if Babcock really had changed his ways and was the elite coach he used to be, without his off-ice gimmicks and tricks.

The reward could have been huge for Columbus.

Did anyone draft Patrick Kane in fantasy hockey the year after the Buffalo cab driver news came out? Did the risk pay off?

Did anyone draft Deshaun Watson in fantasy football this year? Do you think the risk will pay off?
    But the difference is there are no real consequences if we're wrong about drafting Kane or Watson so it's fine for us to take a risk. Jarmo's job is to get it right and he failed miserably.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Babcock out in CBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Sorry I was actually concentrating on the "He's not going to sleep with you bro" part of RT22's comment after he stated that cancel culture isn't real and that theirs consequences to your actions.

My opinion on the whole Babcock thing is this. Asking to see players pictures was either to connect with them personally or a show of power. Either way it was a misstep by someone who has no second chances left.

From the players perspective I could see them being uncomfortable. If you went into a meeting with your boss and they sprang up, can I see some pictures off your phone to see what things you got up to this summer. I would feel both pressured to do so and slightly worried about what they might view. These are young adults, all of them even the vets in their 30's. They might have pictures of them drinking, or smoking pot. They might have intimate pictures of themselves or a girlfriend, wife or random hook up. It's defiantly a bridge too far. If they were briefed about it prior then at least they could have carefully curated what they were going to show.
    If you think that’s a cancellable statement that really incapsulates how little boomers understand anything about anything.

Hercules

Apparently the meetings happened throughout the whole summer, so the meetings for "non-team facility" is probably not just word-smithing like I thought. Babcock does have a history of traveling to players in the summer to talk to them, so this was likely him talking to players in their homes.

Boone Jenner when talking about it mentioned he said he talked to Babcock about his "upcoming wedding" which was July 29th. Babcock was on the job for technically 28 days MAX and doing this stuff.

So, the meetings were going on for months, and it took a player reaching out to Paul Bissonnette to get this stopped. A player rather talk to Spittin Chicklets about a coach not being "woke" enough (being too archaic in their system) than go to either the senior players of the team, the management of the team, or the NHLPA about it. The whole system is still broken, but I think the NHLPA's response to this might help show that they can be trusted.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Deity

This will be my last comment on this whole situation in this thread or in general.

First off, I am not a boomer, I am Gen-X, born in the summer of '69. I know the "boomer" comment is directed at me so let's clear that up. Yes, I am old but I am not that old LOL!

On a more serious note, I just listened to the latest Spittin Chiclets podcast where they covered this story about as good as it gets, with the background certainly going more in depth well beyond the Columbus situation. I have come away with a different appreciation for the situation and how Babcock dealt with it and his players.

Being in the military for many years, one of the key things I strive for in myself, and my subordinates, is accountability. I have no issue admitting when I am wrong and with more information afforded to me in recent times, I definitely feel I had the wrong take on this situation and I was wrong. I apologize if I offended people with my earlier comments.

That is all. Moving on.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Apparently the meetings happened throughout the whole summer, so the meetings for "non-team facility" is probably not just word-smithing like I thought. Babcock does have a history of traveling to players in the summer to talk to them, so this was likely him talking to players in their homes.

Boone Jenner when talking about it mentioned he said he talked to Babcock about his "upcoming wedding" which was July 29th. Babcock was on the job for technically 28 days MAX and doing this stuff.

So, the meetings were going on for months, and it took a player reaching out to Paul Bissonnette to get this stopped. A player rather talk to Spittin Chicklets about a coach not being "woke" enough (being too archaic in their system) than go to either the senior players of the team, the management of the team, or the NHLPA about it. The whole system is still broken, but I think the NHLPA's response to this might help show that they can be trusted.
    Agree.

Spittin Chicklets more detail today - allegedly some of this happened in Babcock’s home having invited a player for lunch.

I’m not the biggest fan of Chiclets, they go way too far sometimes, but on this one they’re right

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This will be my last comment on this whole situation in this thread or in general.

First off, I am not a boomer, I am Gen-X, born in the summer of '69. I know the "boomer" comment is directed at me so let's clear that up. Yes, I am old but I am not that old LOL!

On a more serious note, I just listened to the latest Spittin Chiclets podcast where they covered this story about as good as it gets, with the background certainly going more in depth well beyond the Columbus situation. I have come away with a different appreciation for the situation and how Babcock dealt with it and his players.

Being in the military for many years, one of the key things I strive for in myself, and my subordinates, is accountability. I have no issue admitting when I am wrong and with more information afforded to me in recent times, I definitely feel I had the wrong take on this situation and I was wrong. I apologize if I offended people with my earlier comments.

That is all. Moving on.
    That’s awesome Axe, great to hear. I think in the end Babcock is a bully, and he used his immense power to bully people and bring them down rather than build them up. The worst. Bullies deserve everything they get when it backfires (doesn’t happen enough).

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper