Thread: Troy Terry VS Brandon Hagel

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Troy Terry VS Brandon Hagel

I am entertaining the idea of trading away my Troy Terry in a 1 on 1 trade for Brandon Hagel in a multicat dynasty league (league in signature).

At first sight Terry seems to be the better fantasy own, but he is a Bandaid-Boy Trainee who has never played 82 games in a season and missed 7GP / 12GP in the last 2 seasons.

Terry broke out at the beginning of the 2021-2022 season and finished that season at 205GP right on his breakout threshold, giving fantasy owners hope that there was space for improvement in 2022-2023. His goal production dipped from 37 to 23, but goals are weighted the same as assists in my league so that's not a problem. All in all he had an equivalent fantasy season despite earning a full minute more of TOI.

Brandon Hagel broke out last year and sits at 211GP heading into next season. Is it a matter of him having broke out earlier than his 200 BT like Troy Terry in 2021-2022, or would it be reasonable to think that there might be another gear for him moving forward ? Hagel was the Lightning player with the most TOI in the first round matchup against Toronto, and that's a good sign that he could earn more ice time next season.

Hagel is not too far behind Terry in terms of shots, but quite a bit ahead in the hits and blocks categories. Best case scenario for him is PP1 / PK1 and remaining on the Point/Kucherov line for the majority of the season like in 2022-2023. Unfortunately it is inevitable that we will see a stretch of games where Stamkos plays with Point/Kucherov at even strength, it is just hard to predict for what % of the season.

Hagel is one year younger than Terry, and just got an 8 years contract versus 7 for Terry.

TLDR : Who's got the best upside between Terry and Hagel in a multicat dynasty league ?

Which one would you choose ?
    15 Teams Dynasty League (No Salary Cap)

4C / 6W / 2F / 6D / 2G
    5 Bench / 25 Minors
    (Protect 20 + 25 Minors)

G, A, SOG, Blk, Hit, Fight, FOW/FOL, TOI,
    SA/GA, SV%, SHO

C: Crosby, Draisaitl, Point, Trocheck
    W: Connor, Giroux, Miller, Pettersson, Stamkos, Terry
    F: E Kane, Nichushkin
    D: Doughty, Hedman, Josi, Letang, Nurse, Petry
    G: Ullmark, Swayman

Bench : Bjorkstrand, Cirelli, Couture, Walman, Merzlikins
    IR :

Minors: Brindley, Goyette, Voit, Huuhtanen, Kantserov, Lardis, Melanson, Petrov, Trikozov, Whitelaw, Ziemmer, Behrens, Cagnoni, Engstrom, Morin, Nelson, Nikishin, Price, Spence, Ufko, Bussi, Hrabal, Johansson, Merilainen, Silovs

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Troy Terry VS Brandon Hagel

dont hate it at all..i think Hagel is very underrated but im not sure you going to gain that much..it should be close to a sideway move...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Monster

Get your hits and blocks elsewhere and put the points and shots Terry provides in the bank. I want Terry here. His spot in the offense is more secure. If Hagel ends up off the top line or out of the top six you just traded Terry for Wayne Simmonds.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

Just in general this feels like a sell low/buy high scenario but I don't want Terry in this setup because his lack of multi-cat production. How do you trade him for value after a down season? Wait for a bounceback or take the exit.

I wonder about shopping around to land an even more outstanding multi-cat option instead of Hagel? Maybe circle back to Hagel if shopping around doesn't deliver anything too great.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg