Thread: Will the real Sandin please stand up

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Will the real Sandin please stand up

I am really confused by Sandin. With all his inconsistencies over the last few years is he that number one offensive dman or was that late season offensive explosion last season with the Caps just an unusual offensive blip?

Sandin was a late first round pick in 2018.

He had a very good World Junior tournaments in 2020 getting 10 points in 7 games which is really good for a defenseman.

Sandin did okay with the Maple Leafs but nothing outstanding with them and even with injuries to other dmen he wasn’t necessarily given that much of an opportunity.

Then Sandin really took off for the Caps late this season with 15 points in 19 games. He might slightly slipped a very little bit when Carlson came back but he was still producing very well.

Just when you think Sandin is really offensively exploding then he just got 1point in 7 games despite lots of playing time in the 2023 World Championship.

Sandin has done great and not so great in the past. At 23 we should really get an idea of what kind of dman he is and will be.

How many points do you guys think he will get next season and beyond?

I would appreciate for some input from people that know Sandin better than I.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Red_Winger; June 12, 2023 at 9:55 PM. Reason: Grammar

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Will the real Sandin please stand up

I'm not a Sandin expert but i have him pegged as a perennial 30-35pt guy..one outlier at near 50
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Rossi, Carlsson, Fantilli, Norris
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Drysdale, Korchinski
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR-
    IR-
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 1, 2, 4, 5
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,3,4,4

Dobber Sports Titan

I've looked into Sandin a fair bit this Spring as I was acquiring him in one league. He put up 3 points in the 10 games that Carlson played at the end of the year, and 12 points in the nine games Carlson when was still injured. If Carlson is/isn't healthy for the entire season, would Sandin then pace for 30/108 points? I would say no in either case. It's more likely Carlson is around for most of the year as well, and the heater he was on in the small nine game sample size was quite the percentage bender. All that said, I think he's more than a 30-point floor in WSH.

Part of the reason being as simple as ice time. Averaging over 20 minutes per game with the Capitals (even in the games Carlson was back) is a ton better than the 15 minutes per game he got with the Leafs. His underlying numbers are good, his trajectory is good. I think he can hover the next number of years in the 35-45 point range, and maybe pop off to 55 in one or two seasons where Carlson is absent.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

He’s also only played 159 NHL games to this point. His BT is still a couple of years away.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Superstar

Sandin has had some injury problems and that has certainly not helped his progression. However, he is still only 23 and as tweetdrivr has pointed out only has 159 games under his belt and is still a few years away from his BT. I would suggest that if he stays healthy, he should fully round into form in the 2024 - 2025 season. I think an upside of 55 pts is reasonable but that he will settle in as a 40 - 45 pt D Man. He is not an elite back end offensive talent but is a very serviceable D man that moves the puck well with good possession skills. I don't see him as a go to PP1 type of D man, rather a PP2 solid contributor than can adequality fill into the top spot as required. Summarized, if his progression tracks positively he is a 40-45 pt D man with 55 pt upside. Again, not elite but he should be a solid fantasy hockey own moving forward.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports All-Star

I see him getting better (stats) even if playing with Carlson. Not too crazy of a projection but I think it's fair to peg him in for being a consistent 40-point producer. Sprinkle in some 50-point seasons and you have a pretty solid fantasy producer. I think him staying in Washington helps him for sure.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

The Great One

I could see him being a Vince Dunn type, kind of bubbling beneath the surface but tantalizing for several years, then when doubt has set in he gets a fair chance to really shine and boom he goes nuts.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Icon

i think he is safe bet for around 40 points when healthy but not much more ....to me he is a second paring, 3rd on good team with some PP upside. Nothing special but useful when it comes to fantasy.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i think he is safe bet for around 40 points when healthy but not much more ....to me he is a second paring, 3rd on good team with some PP upside. Nothing special but useful when it comes to fantasy.
    What is it about his game (in a fairly small sample thus far)that makes you say this?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

He often looks lost defensively… his skating is good but not great and he is not strong enough in own end to get top paring minutes… on positive side he got good vision, great stretch pass ability and decent shot

I just don’t think he will ever be trusted enough in own end to get top minutes which limits his offensive output