Thread: Kaapo Kakko

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Kaapo Kakko

Whose still holding out hope for this guy in a dynasty league ofcourse.

The Great One

Default Re: Kaapo Kakko

I just made a pitch of bertuzzi and krebs for kakko and krug and it was not even considered. So I kind of am and his owner apparently lol! I think giving up on him or Laffy is nuts at this point...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If you have space might as well hang in there

Dobber Sports Ace

I’ve owned him, traded him, and owned him again. I think the teams that own him over value him, and those looking to acquire him often times send underwhelming offers for him. But at the end of the day, don’t think he comes close to his draft pedigree.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by zambronies View Post
    I’ve owned him, traded him, and owned him again. I think the teams that own him over value him, and those looking to acquire him often times send underwhelming offers for him. But at the end of the day, don’t think he comes close to his draft pedigree.
    I've never owned him, but agree with this take.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand
    D: Dobson/Trouba/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Edvinsson/York
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Initiate

I just acquired Kakko in a keep 15 league for a 4th round pick where I'm currently in a rebuild -- I have a number of players vying for my last keeper slot this year so figured it was the price of admission to wait and see - also I will be drafting Bedard 1st OA next year so have a player already in the wings to replace whoever I keep with #15 if it doesn't work.

Wouldn't Kakko fall into the larger player mold where he hits his stride closer to 400 games played - currently he's sitting at a bit over 200 gp. Also, being a large European player, it might take him the full 400 games to fully adapt. For a bigger guy, he sure isn't using that large body much averaging .5 hits per game. I think he'll have to start using the body more to better adapt to the North American game - he seems a bit soft right now, but if he can toughen up I think it will play to his advantage. He has the draft pedigree, size and the toolkit to play in the top 6 on a good team in the NHL and the Rangers will give him every shot to get there - I'm not sure if he will meet his draft pedigree of a 2nd OA or not, but seems like this year is a good time to buy with a lot of managers giving up hope on him and there's plenty of upside. If you can get at a good trade value it might be worth a speculative acquisition.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

He's been playing well recently but in most leagues is not a keeper and is redraftable. It's fine to take a flyer on him, I personally wouldn't have done a 4th but what's done is done.
    Just because he has a big body doesn't mean he'll use it. Jake Virtanen and Steve Bernier come to mind. I think he'll top out as a 2nd line player averaging 60 to 65 points. So good, but not great.

The Great One

I had always thought a bit of his appeal was how close he was to being nhl ready? In any case im still a fan. Nyr seem to develop scoring dmen but have had no success with forwards. I picture Kakko as a defensively responsible 70 point player whose better irl than in fantasy but I could see said 70 points being more of a floor than a ceiling and points like that on a regular basis are a boon for any team. I'm less sold on kakko than Laffy but I do think both still have breakout potential and I feel like kakko especially would thrive on another team. Hes already defensively sound from what I've read so I could see the rangers sticking him on L3 and forgetting about it which will hurt his fantasy value. Didn't we read on these forums ages ago that panarin said he doesn't like playing with kakko? It sounds harsh to write but I swore i read that. I was talking about this whole situation with my step dad and the really crappy thing for owners is that even if they did stick him.on the third line and he chipped in with forty some odd points- the rangers would likely be happy with the defense he brings AND it would keep his price down in terms of his next contract. I think he ends up on CLB where Finnish players go to thrive haha! Gakrikov Chinakov and a firstikov...

Dobber Sports Sage

He's only 21... and only getting 16 mins of TOI (just 1 min of PP time)!!! Once that increases to 3 or 4+ mins he will be eating with the top dogs.

Look at other comparable power forwards early career trajectories...

Kreider as an example... he was 26 when he finally cracked 50 points. His career year came at the age of 31 right around the time his TOI jumped from 15.5 mins to 17.5 mins and PP TOI went from 2 mins to 3.5 mins.

Jamie Benn
    's 56 point breakout season came at the age of 22. As his TOI and PP time increased so did his output.

Mark Stone 64 point breakout season when he was 23.

Barkov was given the TOI Kakko hasn't seen yet from the get-go and his first PPG season came when he was 23.

Landeskog 50-60 point player with 3-4+ mins of PP time each year until his real breakout season when he was 26 years old.

Once his TOI increases from 15 to 17 min/game and PP time goes from 1 min/game to 3+ he will undoubtedly hit his 70+ point potential. I would say that happens between now and his 26 year old season - he will eventually take Trochek or Kreider's spot on the top PP. It's just a matter of when.

It isn't rocket science. He has more skill than everyone listed above except for Barkov who might very well be his closest upside comparable... and the confidence is coming. Sky is the limit. Just needs the top-end TOI opportunities and the breakout will follow.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    He's been playing well recently but in most leagues is not a keeper and is redraftable. It's fine to take a flyer on him, I personally wouldn't have done a 4th but what's done is done.
    Just because he has a big body doesn't mean he'll use it. Jake Virtanen and Steve Bernier come to mind. I think he'll top out as a 2nd line player averaging 60 to 65 points. So good, but not great.
    1. A 4th pick in a keep 15, 12 team league is top skater #229 so the drop off from there is not really that significant to the later rounds in the draft. I also have 2 1st's, 2 2nd's and a 3rd rd. pick so the 4th rd. pick was my 6th/10 picks of the draft so this is kinda a flyer already.
    2. Agree that just b/c he's big isn't the only reason for the upside. Many in the 2019 draft year were debating whether Hughes or Kakko should go number 1 - well it's very apparent now that Hughes was the right choice haha but Kakko is not the same situation as Jake Virtanen because the consensus was at the draft that Vancouver really reached and Jake was never considered to be the high end prospect Kakko was. Bernier was also a 16th pick and not a number 2 so is also not really a comparable. Possibly Puljujarvi would be who you are looking for as a comparable big player that didn't pan and I agree that Kakko could pull a Puljujarvi.
    3. A 2nd line player that regularly hits 60-65 points is likely a keeper in my league - especially if there are banger stats or potential for more upside

The Great One

I still think he's got first line upside- but when I was pitching for him I always consider the downside. I think a realistic downside is ny leaving him to twist in the wind on the third line for a few more years. On top if that though- having seen him he doesn't really wow you with his skill level like many first line players do. A) im not a scout and b) i understand that some players have a higher upside because there physical game allows them to get to the same areas a high skill level would but again I dont see him imposing that big frame. I am NOT an expert but having done an immense amount of "opinion farming" on this player i dont think it would be all that crazy to think he settles in as a guy who can drive play, compliment your offense, without being that main elite piece. I think the role Nylander has although with less scoring. I think he can be a competent top sixer with flashes of greatness. To me the stat profile for that type of player is closer to 70- its definitely safer to only bank on 70...

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by VintageVibe View Post
    He's only 21... and only getting 16 mins of TOI (just 1 min of PP time)!!! Once that increases to 3 or 4+ mins he will be eating with the top dogs.

Look at other comparable power forwards early career trajectories...

Kreider as an example... he was 26 when he finally cracked 50 points. His career year came at the age of 31 right around the time his TOI jumped from 15.5 mins to 17.5 mins and PP TOI went from 2 mins to 3.5 mins.

Jamie Benn
    's 56 point breakout season came at the age of 22. As his TOI and PP time increased so did his output.

Mark Stone 64 point breakout season when he was 23.

Barkov was given the TOI Kakko hasn't seen yet from the get-go and his first PPG season came when he was 23.

Landeskog 50-60 point player with 3-4+ mins of PP time each year until his real breakout season when he was 26 years old.

Once his TOI increases from 15 to 17 min/game and PP time goes from 1 min/game to 3+ he will undoubtedly hit his 70+ point potential. I would say that happens between now and his 26 year old season - he will eventually take Trochek or Kreider's spot on the top PP. It's just a matter of when.

It isn't rocket science. He has more skill than everyone listed above except for Barkov who might very well be his closest upside comparable... and the confidence is coming. Sky is the limit. Just needs the top-end TOI opportunities and the breakout will follow.
    preach...

Dobber Sports Icon

I am also fence-sitting here waiting to se what happens before I decide to drop or not.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Rossi, Carlsson, Fantilli, Norris
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Drysdale, Korchinski
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR-
    IR-
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 1, 2, 4, 5
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,3,4,4

Dobber Sports Stud

Great skill set, and pedigree. I don't cut bait on anyone prior to 300-350 games played. He didn't light the world on fire in his rookie season, but he's starting to show signs of life (anyone paired with Panarin and Mika should be) and has a high ceiling. Its tough to gauge these players that have had their growth stunted by the past few covid shortened seasons. I would think he's just at the tail end of a buy low candidate.