Thread: Zach Parise for Nabby

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Zach Parise for Nabby

Parise for Nabby is this a good trade for me? I really want to upgrade my goaltending to win this year.

It also means I will have to choose between MA Fleury and Nabby for a keeper.

What do you think?
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

C: N Backstrom
    LW: Ovechkin
    RW: Kessel
    D: Green, Doughty
    G: Lundqvist, Vokoun

stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, FOW,
    W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO

Positions: 3 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, F, W, 4 D, 2 G

Dobber Sports Expert

It\'s a pretty solid return for you. If this got you the win I\'d certainly do it.

If you land Nabokov/Fleury as a combo in G I think you have to consider keeping them both though and dominating the G cats next year [along with Ovechkin, Markov, and either JBO/E. Staal/Kessel]. He\'s too good a G to throw back into the draft. At the very least I think you could land a player as good or better via trade later next year than one you\'d be keeping if you threw Nabokov back into the draft.

If you don\'t like this course of action then trade for a decent G, but not an elite one. It\'ll cost you less and get you the coverage you need this season.

EDIT: Do you have limitations on how many keepers per position?
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

There are no limitations on who we can keep, just a max of 5.

So you think Fleury is just having a horrible year this year (along with his whole team I guess)?
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO

There are no limitations on who we can keep, just a max of 5.

So you think Fleury is just having a horrible year this year (along with his whole team I guess)?
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO

Dobber Sports Expert

keeper17 wrote:
    I\'m a Nabokov owner and have a tentative deal in place to move him for Fleury in the off-season.

Both G have a SV% of right around .905 right now. Last year Nabokov was around .910 while Fleury was in the vicinity of .922 which is really good.

Gonchar never gets credit for the defensive dimension he brings to the table, but his absence is killing this team. They lost a lot of scoring depth which hasn\'t helped and the whole team is in a psychological funk right now.

Justin Goldman [who also writes for this site] posted an intriguing article on Nabokov on www.goaliepost.com not that long ago. It\'s worth a read.

http://goaliepost.com/default.php?pa...0809&id=87

Basically, most other G in the same situation in SJ posted slightly better #s than Nabokov. He\'s in the perfect environment to succeed and I think he\'s better than some give him credit for, but I believe Fleury is the more talented of the two and projects better over the rest of his career once the Pens get their act sorted out.

EDIT: Nabokov will be gold for at least one more season barring injury as SJ is too deep not be just as good again. Injury woes in back-to-back seasons is the bigger concern for Fleury owners not his skill or game if you ask me. It always takes a while to find your game after significant time off due to injury. He struggled a bit last year when he first came back also before stealing games for this team down the stretch and into the playoffs.
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Yeah I have read that article and thought it was interesting as well. It makes me think twice about keeping him, but I realize that great goalies can be hard to come by.

The other thing is that our categories are weighted more heavily toward skaters vs goalies, 7 skater stats vs 4 goalie. Makes me wonder if keeping Kessel\\Stall over a goalie makes sense?
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO

Yeah I have read that article and thought it was interesting as well. It makes me think twice about keeping him, but I realize that great goalies can be hard to come by.

The other thing is that our categories are weighted more heavily toward skaters vs goalies, 7 skater stats vs 4 goalie. Makes me wonder if keeping KesselStall over a goalie makes sense?
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO

Dobber Sports Expert

keeper17 wrote:
    The other thing is that our categories are weighted more heavily toward skaters vs goalies, 7 skater stats vs 4 goalie. Makes me wonder if keeping KesselStall over a goalie makes sense?
    I only see 10 cats in your sig [6 skater and 4 goalie].

I\'m not in a H2H league so someone else can set me straight, but my rationale for keeping Fleury and Nabokov is this...

Granted, skater cats count for more than goalie cats do, but you only have 2 players that account for those 4 cats. Meaning, having 2 dominant goalies could regularly win you 3-4 cats per week [on the strength of only 2 players]. These 4 cats are won by whoever has the most elite pair of players.

6 [or even 7] cats need contributions from all forward positions and D as well. These 6 categories are won by depth [which is draftable].

If you won the 4 goalie cats every week you\'d only need 2 skater cats to guarantee a win [1 skater cat to guarantee a tie]. I\'ll double-check, but I\'m sure your sig included PIM and SOG as cats. At least in theory, owning the 4 goalie cats and icing a team of goons would give you at least a tie every week.

Assuming you ice at least 10 skaters, Kessel or Staal will contribute 10% to 6 categories [and even assuming these guys hit 90 points you should be able to redraft guys who will hit 80-85 as you only keep 5 players].

Or you keep a top goalie who contributes 50% to 4 cats. Assuming most teams keep 1 top tier G, I think you\'re better off keeping 2 top tier G than a tier 2 [or 3] skater.

Sorry for the long post...that\'s just my rationale.

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

No problem for long post, thanks for the great analysis.

You make some very good points I think I am going to try and make this happen...

On a side but similar note, would you take Lundqvist or Nabby? I seems to me Lundqvist will have more longevity, so I might try to go after him.
    12 team H2H 7 keepers

Current Keepers:

W, GAA, SV, S%, SHO