Thread: Tomasino

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Tomasino

Hey guys, what do you think about this guy, Phil Tomasino? Is he a stud? I mean, can he be the guy in Nashville in the next decade?
    I'm in a points keeper league and i can grab Tomasino vs a late second round pick.

So, what do you think about Tomasino? Nice first year, but for the future?

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Tomasino

I don't think he can be "the guy" but he certainly can be "a guy," in that he can be a productive 2nd liner, maybe power play 1, depending on the situation. Nashville has Forsberg, Duchene, Johansen, and Granlund all locked up for the next 3 years. That probably leaves Tolvanen and Tomasino as guys who can round out the top 6. There's certainly a space for him, provided that he doesn't crap out in camp or the coach thinks 21 is too young (he turns 21 in a couple weeks). Given the veteran presence, unless the coach wants an approach of two evenly-built power plays, Tomasino is likely to be on PP2 for the foreseeable future. But maybe he can show some flash in a Seth Jarvis kind of way and push himself onto the first unit. He'll be only 21, so there's no need to rush him. Still, Nashville has a good deal of cap room. They could easily sign a top 6er and let Tomasino simmer in a 3rd line role for another year. But 32 points in 76 games is a good age-20 year and it wouldn't be hard to see him push his way to 50-60 pts in a couple years.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I don't think he can be "the guy" but he certainly can be "a guy," in that he can be a productive 2nd liner, maybe power play 1, depending on the situation. Nashville has Forsberg, Duchene, Johansen, and Granlund all locked up for the next 3 years. That probably leaves Tolvanen and Tomasino as guys who can round out the top 6. There's certainly a space for him, provided that he doesn't crap out in camp or the coach thinks 21 is too young (he turns 21 in a couple weeks). Given the veteran presence, unless the coach wants an approach of two evenly-built power plays, Tomasino is likely to be on PP2 for the foreseeable future. But maybe he can show some flash in a Seth Jarvis kind of way and push himself onto the first unit. He'll be only 21, so there's no need to rush him. Still, Nashville has a good deal of cap room. They could easily sign a top 6er and let Tomasino simmer in a 3rd line role for another year. But 32 points in 76 games is a good age-20 year and it wouldn't be hard to see him push his way to 50-60 pts in a couple years.
    This^^

I think he has a lot of potential and skates with such ease, but idk if we ever see him be the guy.
    10 Team Dynasty

Forward scoring in sig pic (D premium - G +1, A +1)

Min eligibility - 164 GP skt, 82 GP g

Start 4C, 4LW/RW, 6D, 2G

C
    Eichel, Beniers, Ek, Nelson
    , D Strome, Hayton, Novak
    RW Kempe, Verhaege, Batherson, Buchnevich, Tippett, Barbashev, Seguin

LW B Tkachuck, Forsberg, DeBrusk, Rakell, Jeannot, McCann
    D Seider, Ekblad, Doughty, Nurse, Dobson, Weegar, Pionk, Sergachev, Roy, Forsling
    G Oettinger, Sorokin, Lindgren, Daccord
    MIN Zetterlund, But, Cuylle, Nikishin, Mukhamadullin, Morrow, Bonk, Simashev, B
    Clarke, Nadeau, Afanasyev

Dobber Sports All-Star

He can be a perennial 60 point guy playing with that group in Nashville. I can see him getting to that number within the next 2 years. As far as being a stud, well that is a big reach for him at the moment. Can he be a PPG player? Maybe 5years down the line he becomes one of the big 3 on the Preds so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets that high. Safe bet is 60 points, crazy bet is 80 points. Good luck.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Superstar

To directly answer the question if I understand it correctly (see below), hell ya, you grab Tomasino instead of a late second round pick in a full dynasty. I'm assuming that pick is relative to a full 10 - 12 team dynasty but it would be extremely helpful if you actually included your team and your league format in your sig. Otherwise, the forum is guessing.

I think the previous posts have nicely summarized what you can expect from him. As with virtually all blue chip prospects there will be a wait but the reward should be significant. Not a "stud and the guy" but a player with roughly a 60 pt floor and an 80 point ceiling is a worthy fantasy asset in most leagues.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Veteran

Kind of agree with a lot of what has already been said.
    Could def be a complementary 1st liner but without a superstar to play with in Nashville it's tough to project a 70+pt player.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Star

With the Niederreiter signing, this pretty much cements Tomasino outside the top six unless Tolvanen is really bad.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    With the Niederreiter signing, this pretty much cements Tomasino outside the top six unless Tolvanen is really bad.
    Or one of the big boys turns back into a pumpkin, which is possible.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Can’t see him ever making the top line permanently, every year Nashville is going to draft someone. This year it was Kemell and I’d put him above Tomasino. I see him as a future 2nd line player 60pt might be the limit