Thread: Thoughts on Owen Power

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Thoughts on Owen Power

Lets discuss the flavor of the day😁

There's an article in Dobber's guide stating that physically bigger players need 400 + NHL games to begin putting up big numbers, specifically points. Of course there always will be exceptions, and I'm wondering if Power is one of them?

Will he become a shut down guy, with Dahlin getting the bulk of PP time?

What's his 3 year upside? Does he eventually turn into Tyler Myers or Victor Hedman?

In a points only salary cap league is he worth protecting over Thomas Chabot, knowing I'd be able to re-draft similar value to Chabot but not sure I'd be able to find a better option than Power, with a cap hit of under $1M.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Thoughts on Owen Power

For me, he's more in the mold of Hedman than Myers - though don't personally feel he has the same ceiling as Hedman long-term.

It took Hedman 4+ years to start putting up numbers too. At one point, it looked like Stralman (I know eh?) would block him for PP1 for another couple of years after that... but the cream usually rises.

I'm not confident that Power will displace Dahlin for PP1 - but also feel like BUF is creating a more balanced lineup - where PP2 won't be a huge drop from PP1.

Does Tuch-Skinner-Thompson-Mitts seem like a dominant unit a la TB/TOR/WSH/PIT etc? Think there's "enough" PP juice in a Cozens-Krebs-Quinn-Rosen/JJP/etc. 2nd unit that the Sabres will find themselves balancing both (and mixing them up) in the years to come.

Can't speak to the cap strategy - but that's my crystal ball on Power.
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Superstar

The World Championship last year gave us a very nice indicator as to what we might expect from Power when he moved to the NHL. I maintained then, as still do, that Power would be NHL ready when he finished his NCAA career. If his first few games are any indication, and I think it could very well be, thatw Power is indeed NHL ready. He skated almost 20 minutes in his first game and 23 in his second game and put up a point. If he hasn't already, he will gain the confidence of the Coach and he will be skating significant minutes for the Sabres. I also agree that Power should be more comparable to Hedman than Myers, he is a very solid defender with nice offensive upside, at worse somewhere in between those two.

I'd like to see your full Defence roster, but I think there is a very good chance that Power can be the better contract than Chabot. I very much doubt he puts up the numbers that Chabot will next year, but the difference on the ice should be less than the difference of 7 Mil in Cap between the two and I think your wise to assume that it's unlikely that you can draft that kind of value.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    I'd like to see your full Defence roster, but I think there is a very good chance that Power can be the better contract than Chabot. I very much doubt he puts up the numbers that Chabot will next year, but the difference on the ice should be less than the difference of 7 Mil in Cap between the two and I think your wise to assume that it's unlikely that you can draft that kind of value.
    I seem to quote Bubba a lot (meaning no rep for this quote), but I agree with this take. I think Power is basically a second pair D on the Sabres right now. I do not see him passing Dahlin on the depth chart anytime in the future, but they could play together. I do think he's also behind Jokiharju right now, who is also a former first rounder with experience who seems to be playing pretty well. At his cost, that's a good deal.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.