Thread: Thoughts on Mercer?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Thoughts on Mercer?

Small sample size, but looks promising so far. Thoughts on if he may stick with the Devils this year? Is he going to move to wing eventually so he can play a top 6 role? He’s available on my wire, so just curious if he’s worth an add.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Thoughts on Mercer?

Mercer has transitioned incredibly well to the NHL. I think he absolutely sticks with the Devils but I'm not sure how he might be deployed. Bottom 6 is a pretty safe expectation and moving into the top 6 is not out of the realm of possibility but I don't think it is likely, at least not on a full time basis. Middle six for a rookie year would be very nice and if he continues to play like he has so far that is a realistic expectation. It all depends on what you might have to give up to pick him up, if it costs you nothing it's absolutely worth doing, if a drop is required then you need to look closely at that.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Mercer has transitioned incredibly well to the NHL. I think he absolutely sticks with the Devils but I'm not sure how he might be deployed. Bottom 6 is a pretty safe expectation and moving into the top 6 is not out of the realm of possibility but I don't think it is likely, at least not on a full time basis. Middle six for a rookie year would be very nice and if he continues to play like he has so far that is a realistic expectation. It all depends on what you might have to give up to pick him up, if it costs you nothing it's absolutely worth doing, if a drop is required then you need to look closely at that.
    I’m not too concerned about his deployment this year, as I’m not going to compete for a while. I was wondering more about 2-4 years down the road.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

G:

IR:

Dobber Sports Superstar

Mercer does not have the upside of other high end prospects IMO, Caulfield and certainly Zegras for example, but he has a very good chance of becoming a 60 - 70 pt forward on a regular basis, upside of 75 if the stars align. That's not too shabby. Problem is, and a good problem to have BTW, you have a lot of good young forward prospects that likely have a higher upside than Mercer, guys like Suzuki Thomas, Tolvanen, Tomasino and Kyrou as well as the aforementioned Caulfield and Zegras. I would consider him as being on the bubble projecting out 2 - 4 years. He's likely in the mix but far from a sure thing keeper for you given your current roster in a keep 9.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

Anyone have revised expectations for Mercer now? I have always projected him as a top 6, 60 pt upside kind of forward. But he is doing great things 5v5, with little PP production to pad his numbers. I'm honestly thinking to sell high on him if I can...

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Anyone have revised expectations for Mercer now? I have always projected him as a top 6, 60 pt upside kind of forward. But he is doing great things 5v5, with little PP production to pad his numbers. I'm honestly thinking to sell high on him if I can...
    I think you would be Mercer-less if you did that.

Dad jokes aside, I think Mercer is playing better so far than either Hischier or Hughes thus far. I wish you could trade him to me.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Dobber did in his Ramblings, enough to put Mercer on his personal Wall of Shame for missing on him completely. I think the expectations have to be increased. I liken him to Sillinger in that regard, neither of these guys was expected to stick.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

Why must you burn my soul with this question? Mercer is dead to me! He's making me a dumbass for trading him for Carter Verhaeghe. I had him, even made a huge post and thread about him... search for it here... did a huge analyze of him. His biggest fan. But he wasn't supposed to be this good this soon and Carter was supposed to be getting more usage and being deployed more on their top PP unit. His shot rate has gone down, and as a result his goal count has suffered. AHHHH!

WHY MUST YOU HURT ME LIKE THIS?! I HATE FANTASY HOCKEY!

I quit. *stomps angrily and screams like a big man child*
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I take it that I answered that question. And even if he does hit a wall as a rookie, he's so good it shouldn't last too long. He really is a young Patrice Bergeron.

- - - Updated - - -

*now sits and cries*

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eli26 View Post
    SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!

Why must you burn my soul with this question? Mercer is dead to me! He's making me a dumbass for trading him for Carter Verhaeghe. I had him, even made a huge post and thread about him... search for it here... did a huge analyze of him. His biggest fan. But he wasn't supposed to be this good this soon and Carter was supposed to be getting more usage and being deployed more on their top PP unit. His shot rate has gone down, and as a result his goal count has suffered. AHHHH!

WHY MUST YOU HURT ME LIKE THIS?! I HATE FANTASY HOCKEY!

I quit. *stomps angrily and screams like a big man child*
    If I could trade him to you, I would. I’ve felt that kind of pain. Haha

​Pre Draft

G:

IR:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by bbfl1987 View Post
    If I could trade him to you, I would. I’ve felt that kind of pain. Haha
    D'awe thanks bud. <3

Dobber Sports Icon

How we feeling now? I just acquired him and I’m curious. TBH I never really had him on my radar until I started looking into the Devs a bit.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson, Fantilli, Norris
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Drysdale
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR-
    IR-
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 1, 4, 5, 8
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Still feeling fine. He's not good at faceoffs yet - to be expected, but he's doing well as a 20 year old who wasn't supposed to stick.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.