Thread: [Rumor] Mackinnon to be suspended

Dobber Sports Icon

Default [Rumor] Mackinnon to be suspended

Expect a Nathan Mackinnon suspension to be announced tomorrow for his head hit on Nolan Patrick

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: [Rumor] Mackinnon to be suspended

Deserved. 3 games.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

That was definitely intentional. I found it amusing MacKinnon tried to play stupid, as if he did nothing at all.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Icon

How does Nathan MacKinnon avoid another lengthy suspension?

First he possibly ends Nolan Patrick's career with a shoulder to the head when neither player was near the puck and now he slashes a referee, yet no further discipline at all.

Discuss

Dobber Sports Deity

I love Nate, but that was a suspendable offense. No way he should have got nothing from that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Hercules

That slash should get him suspended. I know it's not a lot physically, but you can't allow this at all.

Technically the ref could have given him a match misconduct (tossed from the game) for contacting a ref. And then it definitely would be in the spot light of the media if that happened.

Rule 40
    Any player who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official, in any manner attempts to injure an official, physically demeans, or deliberately applies physical force to an official solely for the purpose of getting free of such an official during or immediately following an altercation shall receive a game misconduct penalty. In addition, the following (40.2, 40.3, 40.4) disciplinary penalties shall apply.

40.2 Category I (intent to injure) - min 20 game suspension
    40.3 Category II (no intent to injure)- min 10 game suspension

Should be suspended a min of 10 games.

---EDIT---

I'm seeing reports that he didn't actually hit the official...I thought he did. Reading the rules there isn't actually something that covers this...oddly. Category III (rule 40.4) is covering "physically demeans or threatens the official" which would include "throwing a stick at or at the general area of the official, or spitting at, or applying physical force to get free of an official" (like in a fight). Swinging a stick at isn't worded in this.

I do think he should be suspended, and maybe the league could have gotten away with a Rule 40.4 style suspension which is a min of 3 games. Which I guess makes more sense if he doesn't hit the official.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Icon

The NHL said MacKinnon was trying to hit Nosek when he accidentally hit the linesman. That means there was definitely contact with the linesman.

"Why am I getting 2 minutes? I didn't mean to high stick him"

I think a fine would have been sufficient. Not surprised a superstar received no discipline for lashing out in frustration.
    14 team, H2H, daily start, min. 3 goalie appearances, 3 Keepers (round drafted+3) with 1 Goalie max.
    G, A, P, PPP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits // W, SV, GAA, SV%, SHO

3C: Norris, Danault, Barbashev (LW)
    3RW: Tippett (LW), Roy, Frederic
    3LW: Knies, Ehlers, Foegele
    4D: Dobson, Gostisbehere, Orlov, Power
    2G: Lyon, Husso
    1Util: M. Foligno (LW, RW)
    4Bench: Brossoit, Werenski, Marchenko, Rossi
    2IR: Zegras

Keepers: Dobson (6th), Tippett (11th), Norris (14th)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Players must always be in control of their sticks unless they are slashing officials and then it's fine.

Oh well, the guy who was suspended less than a year ago for throwing a helmet at someone deserves the benefit of the doubt.

The Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Players must always be in control of their sticks unless they are slashing officials and then it's fine.

Oh well, the guy who was suspended less than a year ago for throwing a helmet at someone deserves the benefit of the doubt.
    He wasn’t suspended. Just fined.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

Or unless they are following through with a shot. In that case, you can take somebody's head off, and be within the rules.

[COLOR=var(--primary-text)][COLOR=var(--primary-text)]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZohYPagRRE

[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

League 1: 10 teams Points only (Best 9F, 4D and 1G count for the season and best 8 for the playoff). Drop 4 players before a 4 round draft before season. Mini draft during all star week-end (drop one pick one available).

F: MacKinnon, Pettersson, Eichel, Barkov, Stone, Ehlers, Necas, Huberdeau, Zacha, Boldy, , Lafreniere, Cozens, Vilardi
    D: Dobson, Ekblad, DeAngelo, Seider, Bouchard, Matheson, Clarke
    G: Vasilievski, Sorokin

League 2: 14 teams, same setting.

F: Rantanen, Kyrou, Barkov, Raymond, Perfetti, Jarvis, Lundell, Lafreniere, Byfield, Holtz, Norris, Reichel, Rossi
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Addison, Krug, Lundkvist, Clarke
    G: Sorokin, Demko

Dobber Sports Icon

That video makes no sense at all. The camera is pretty much directly over Mackinnon. If Mackinnon was swinging vertically instead of horizontally, the stick would not appear to move at all.

Both the linesman and the NHL have said that MacKinnon hit the linesman. They just agreed that it was not intentional so there was no suspension given. If you watch the full video of it happening, the linesman shakes off his leg and stares at MacKinnon after it happens. Those are not the reaction of a linesman being near a player slashing the ice.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    That video makes no sense at all. The camera is pretty much directly over Mackinnon. If Mackinnon was swinging vertically instead of horizontally, the stick would not appear to move at all.

Both the linesman and the NHL have said that MacKinnon hit the linesman. They just agreed that it was not intentional so there was no suspension given. If you watch the full video of it happening, the linesman shakes off his leg and stares at MacKinnon after it happens. Those are not the reaction of a linesman being near a player slashing the ice.
    I thought he was trying to slash Nosek and missed?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​