Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mcdavid vs Makar

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Mcdavid vs Makar

Signature should be up to date.
    McDavid owner put him on the block.

I fired over Huberdeau and Landeskog for McDavid and JT. Miller

They countered with Huberdeau and Makar for McDavid and Miller

Thoughts on this deal? It obviously takes out my best defender but is that the cost to acquire McDavid

For Context, I am in 2nd, and other GM is last.
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Mcdavid vs Makar

If a dynasty draft took place today, Makar would be in the pick 4, 5, 6, 7 overall range? With McDavid being #1 in all leagues. Makar plus someone is a valid price for McDavid, but I'm wondering if in this case, you're considering the deal just to do the deal as opposed to will this really be a benefit to the team. Makar plus Huberdeau is a hefty price. Is it really going to make your team better long-term? Will this get you over the top for a title this year? The added hits Miller provides could be helpful, but of the four players in the deal structure, three seem like highly-skilled long-term value guys and then you have Miller who is good, but on the wrong side of the aging curve, and perhaps is more the beneficiary of his surroundings than from his own talent.

McDavid does come at a cost, but I'd be hesitant to send Huberdeau and Makar for him unless I was sure it was going to bring me the title.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Great as he is it seems a little hefty to me. I don't think Miller adds a lot in this deal.
    What about Landy and Huberdeau for just McDavid.

McDavid/Necas/ Kucherov/Bjorkstrand/Rust/Nugent Hopkins/Cirelli/Zegras/- Letang/Morrissey/Dahlin - Swayman/Saros/Skinner

Prospects include:
    McTavish/Clarke/Bordeleau
    Dumais/Korchinski/Hutson

Don't worry I'm not going to say anything more than I have to. If that.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    If a dynasty draft took place today, Makar would be in the pick 4, 5, 6, 7 overall range? With McDavid being #1 in all leagues. Makar plus someone is a valid price for McDavid, but I'm wondering if in this case, you're considering the deal just to do the deal as opposed to will this really be a benefit to the team. Makar plus Huberdeau is a hefty price. Is it really going to make your team better long-term? Will this get you over the top for a title this year? The added hits Miller provides could be helpful, but of the four players in the deal structure, three seem like highly-skilled long-term value guys and then you have Miller who is good, but on the wrong side of the aging curve, and perhaps is more the beneficiary of his surroundings than from his own talent.

McDavid does come at a cost, but I'd be hesitant to send Huberdeau and Makar for him unless I was sure it was going to bring me the title.
    I agree with most of this, but Miller is legit. He's solely benefitting from more TOI being in Vancouver, and less to do with supporting cast. He's only 28 and is in his prime, so not just a throw in, in this deal.

The main thing Senryu brings up is; does this deal solidify the title for you. If it doesn't, I would be hard pressed to move Makar + Huberdeau.

I agree with all the points above and appreciate the feedback.
    Personally I really like Miller (if his deployment stays the same) but he is obviously a step below the other three skaters.

Circling back to if a deal needs to made here, honestly probably not, but its not everyday McDavid is available. My weaker cats right now are Hits, PIMS and A and this deal adds some of all three (because of miller), without really eating to much into the more scoring based stats that Makar and Huberdeau fill better.

Dobber Sports Star

Hey, if you like Miller and you feel your stats come out better as a result of this deal, then by all means go for it. But if it were me, I wouldn't make the deal unless I was fairly confident that this would giving me the boost needed to overtake #1. If Hits is closely bunched together and a few more hits would make a big difference, then that would push me to do the deal.

You might consider making it a 3 for 3 and try to get some edge somewhere else to make it a little more appealing.

Honestly, Im not sure if there is a way to take #1 to be honest. He is riding Markstrom and Jarry and just destroying all the goalie cats.

OGM also has M. Tkachuk who could make a potential replacement for Miller in this swap. As is, this trade leaves a pretty big hole in my Defence.

Anyways, just bouncing thoughts and appreciate all the feedback
    2023 Champ
    11 Teams - 24 player rosters - 12 Keepers (max 2 goalies)
    Yahoo rotisserie - 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN ,2IR
    G, A, PPP, SHP, HITS, +-, PIM, BK, GS, W,GAA, SV%, SHO

C: McDavid, Lindholm, Stephenson, Norris
    LW: Robertson,
    Fiala, Bertuzzi, Boldy,
    RW: Miller, Tarasenko, Seguin, Ehlers
    D: Hamilton, Karlsson,
    Bouchard, Nurse, Dobson, Larsson
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin
    B: Husso, Tippett, McCabe, TT.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Miller is far from a throw in here IMO. In fact, looking at your roster, a strong argument could be made for him being a keeper for you. Yes, he is the lesser offensive talent involved in this deal but that's elite company. I would strongly recommend you look at the rest of your roster and determine if Miller is a keeper. If the answer is yes, I would suggest you do this deal. We have all seen McDavid bring far more return for his owner than what you are paying.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Miller is far from a throw in here IMO. In fact, looking at your roster, a strong argument could be made for him being a keeper for you. Yes, he is the lesser offensive talent involved in this deal but that's elite company. I would strongly recommend you look at the rest of your roster and determine if Miller is a keeper. If the answer is yes, I would suggest you do this deal. We have all seen McDavid bring far more return for his owner than what you are paying.
    I would consider Miller a keeper.

If you can get Tkachuk over Miller then take it

Dobber Sports Superstar

Certainly Tkachuk is more preferable than Miller but I'm not overly optimistic that the other guy would go for that. Can't hurt to politely inquire. If the answer is no, I would still be happy with JT Miller.
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If Miller is a keeper for you, and I think he should be, I'd do that for sure.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'd say yes to this deal. but its close.

McDavid is the best player in the league. Makar and Huberdeau are both top players yes. But you are adding the man. McDavid is on a bit of a cold streak lately. For him, a cold streak is 4 goals 3 assists, 7 points, 3ppp in the last 8 games. When he is on, which is most of the year, he scores at 120 point pace. In fact, he is still at 60 points in 42 games, so that's on pace for 119 points, and on a pretty bad team for linemates other than Draisaitl on the PP. Huberdeau, while he has more points, has also played more games and is on pace for 111 points, which is well above his average and may not carry into the 2nd half. Could he sustain it? Probably this year and possibly next. That team is stacked. but you KNOW McDavid can put those numbers up with anyone, and Florida is a year away from some cap decisions.

Huberdeau is 28 going on 29 and he has been a top 10 scorer.......once in his career when he finished 10th 2 years back. This would be the second time if he keeps this pace up. A lot of players DON'T keep the pace up in the 2nd half. McDavid, other than his rookie year when he broke his collarbone, is an iron man, and has been top 10 in......ok scratch that, he has been 1st or 2nd in scoring EVERY year for the past 5 years and is currently 3rd

Makar is the king of defensemen offensively. But he is also the Malkin of defensemen in terms of injuries. 80 points is not out of the realm of possibility if he stays healthy, but that's a possible problem.

Miller is the weakest player in this deal yes so ill focus on his positives. He plays well even when his team sucks. He doubles the hits of any other player in this trade. And he is an iron man and very rarely misses games. Offensively he is slightly below Makar.

If someone offered you McDavid for Huberdeau or Makar individually? You would smash accept.
    If someone offered you Miller for Huberdeau you would smash reject. Makar you MIGHT smash reject based on position, but in terms of production Makar is not that far ahead of Miller.

So its a fair looking trade. That means its up to you. Do you want the undisputed best consistent player in the game in McDavid for that price?
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Deity

Generally speaking, when acquiring McDavid, you have to overpay to get him. The fact you are getting a quality piece like JT Miller back with him makes this a deal I would accept. Yes, you're giving up quality too but these types of deals are normally hard to make on a good day.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Just to update. I ended up accepting the trade. Huberdeau and Makar for McDavid and Miller.
    I think it helps me this season by bumping some of my weaker cats like hits and PIMS.
    Now I will try and facilitate a move to get another high end D using some of my F options.

Cheers everyone!