Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: NHL tweets about racism

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: NHL tweets about racism

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    What does original intent have to do with it??? What's wrong with the "Warriors"????
    I get the idea that you are being obtuse and don't seriously need somebody to explain this to you...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I get the idea that you are being obtuse and don't seriously need somebody to explain this to you...

Rylant
    What are you talking about? Both team names come from racist origins. Why is one okay and the other isn't? Or are both bad? Should the Golden State Warriors change their name?

Dobber Sports Master

The issue of the Chicago Blackhawks name is more complicated than most given that there isn’t consensus amongst American indigenous groups about its quality, including the tribes and person whom the logo and name purport to represent.

It is not like “redskins” which is a commonly used derogatory term for the indigenous in the americas.

I think it prudent to leave the debate of the use of the name to those who it directly represents and let them come to their consensus if they can. If enough of the contingent wish it to change, it likely will. I take no issue with it so long as they don’t generally do and will follow their lead on it.

Otherwise we are doing what others here have accused of doing, which is debating their racial issue for them.