Thread: Sell me on Debrincat (or not) - REP

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Sell me on Debrincat (or not) - REP

Disclosure, I have never been high on Debrincat and don't really have a viable argument as to why, I just haven't owned him nor have I ever gone looking to acquire.

I just took over a dynasty cap team (in sig) that was in last place and have done a major overhaul on the entire roster. IMO, I'm not a serious contender yet, but probably a mid-pack team that could surprise a little should the cards fall correctly. A guy in the league is in a total rebuild and is dangling Debrincat to the league, but from talking to him the cost will be substantial.

I only have 1 first rounder this year, and it isn't my own (previous GM traded it away) however, I have 3 first rounders in 2023, including my own.

Other GM has asked for Berniers, Zary and a 1st as a starting point for Debrincat. I don't blame him at all, he's in bad shape, but it seems steep to me. Maybe I am just undervaluing Debrincat, but figured I would ask the group and see what everyone thinks.

Thoughts, will rep where I can!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Sell me on Debrincat (or not) - REP

Berniers, Zary and a 1st is a def a steep price to pay... However Debrincat is worth that price imo, hes young and probably a consistent 40 goal scorer at the NHL level, he isn't my favourite player but looking at your team (in sig) i think he becomes the best player on your team and the corner piece for you to build around for the future. Even if you don't rate him others do. He also has a good cap hit for the next 3 seasons for what he brings to the table.

If its a late 1st id do it, there's gonna be some competition for Cat, i think that offer will get you him

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Paches6767 View Post
    Berniers, Zary and a 1st is a def a steep price to pay... However Debrincat is worth that price imo, hes young and probably a consistent 40 goal scorer at the NHL level, he isn't my favourite player but looking at your team (in sig) i think he becomes the best player on your team and the corner piece for you to build around for the future. Even if you don't rate him others do. He also has a good cap hit for the next 3 seasons for what he brings to the table.

If its a late 1st id do it, there's gonna be some competition for Cat, i think that offer will get you him
    If the 1st is this years I would absolutely do that as I wholeheartedly agree with the above. The fact that you're stacked for next years draft, which stands to be much better than this years (or so I'm told), makes it easier to make that decision for me. Debrincat at 23 is just money, and you've got a couple years of very reasonable cap hit to decide what you want to do after that.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Star

I would waste no time in obtaining DeBrincat in exchange for Beniers, Zary and a mid-round 2022 1st. DeBrincat has been dynamite at every level; the only knock on his performance has been that he's only 5'7". So if you like goals and assists and don't care how tall your fantasy players are, then get DeBrincat. Ultimately, the rebuilding team's plan is to gather so much young talent so as to permit packing them for older studs to carry you to the title. This is exactly the kind of trade you're going to want to do.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I like your odds of coming out on top if you make that deal. You are definitely getting the best player now and for a while.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks guys. Still smaller details being worked on but we both agree we are close.

One wrinkle on 2022 v. 2023 pick:
    The pick I have in 2022 is potentially a lotto pick (all non playoff teams are in lotto). My understanding is that team finished 9th last year and does not look like a good team to me. Its not going to finish bottom 3 IMO but its probably in the bottom 4 to 7.

My 2023s are a bit less predictable. The two I have besides mine are historially playoff teams based on my understanding of the league history. The top of the league is pretty close from what I can see, probably 6 teams or so fairly evenly matched and i have two of those 2023s. I was thinking of pushing one of those being the pick.

Dobber Sports Pro

Take the deal. The cat is an offensive dynamo and has been his whole career from junior on (except 2019-29).

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I was also mysteriously low on debrincat. One thing I've noticed is that when his career started he was seen as a pure point producer. Add in the fact that he's small and you sort of project a career of softness. But he's increased his physicality. And his production has been strong enough for enough years where you just have to call a spade a spade. He's the real deal, AND he's likely to play with Toews or Dach.