Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Hurricanes offer sheet Kotkaniemi

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Hurricanes offer sheet Kotkaniemi

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I don't think I saw this on the thread, but what would Carolina's lines be?

Svech-Aho-Tera
    Necas-KK-Troch
    Nino-Staal-Fast
    ?

Would KK move to the wing? Would he even be in the top 9?
    No way they move Trocheck to the wing to accomodate KK.

I think their top 6 is rather set.

Teravainen-Aho-Svechnikov
    Necas-Trocheck-Niederreiter

Then, it comes to if you want to play KK at wing or C. If you move him at W, then he plays with Staal on the 3rd line. If you want to keep him at C, he's basically your 4C and playing with plugs. KK wants to play C, I believe so, I don't know what Carolina wants to do. It makes no sense to move Trocheck to the wing in my mind, but I guess I could be wrong since it's the only way paying KK 6.1M$ makes sense in mind. But that probably makes Carolina worse, not better, in the short term. Long term, it's probably best for KK's development and his chance of re-signing with the team.

Hercules

So I'm guessing KK is a replacement for Trochek in 2022?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So I'm guessing KK is a replacement for Trochek in 2022?
    That has to be the plan, I believe. But Trocheck is way better than KK for now. So if they want him to be that, they better make sure he has a crazy good developmental year at C.

Dobber Sports Stud

KK was simply not ready to assume C2 duties in Montreal last year so I can't see him bump Trocheck unless he has suddenly figured out the position.
    The player is still very raw... it's very hard to predict how his development will turn out imo.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Personally, if KK ends up with CAR... I think he plays a year on wing, taking spot FO from an off-hand center.
    Aho(L), Trocheck(R), J.Staal(L) are their center-depth.
    And Trocheck is the UFA possible to bolt at end of year.
    So putting Kotkaniemi(L) on Trocheck's wing with a 3rd linemate that will still be there long-term... would be smart plan, IMO.
    KK/Trochek/Necas - possible 2021/22 line 2.
    XX/KK/Necas - possible 2022/23 line 2.

If CAR loves KK, then longterm, they want him as their C2... and a slow-groom on the wing W/C... would be a good way to do it.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Personally, if KK ends up with CAR... I think he plays a year on wing, taking spot FO from an off-hand center.
    Aho(L), Trocheck(R), J.Staal(L) are their center-depth.
    And Trocheck is the UFA possible to bolt at end of year.
    So putting Kotkaniemi(L) on Trocheck's wing with a 3rd linemate that will still be there long-term... would be smart plan, IMO.
    KK/Trochek/Necas - possible 2021/22 line 2.
    XX/KK/Necas - possible 2022/23 line 2.

If CAR loves KK, then longterm, they want him as their C2... and a slow-groom on the wing W/C... would be a good way to do it.
    That works in theory but KK doesn't want to play wing and didn't look good as a wing last year when he was moved there.

I would 100% do what you suggest but I don't know if it fits the time-frame of Carolina who wants to win now and the development of KK who wants to be a center now.

Tough one. But MTL should match and render all this moot.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    That works in theory but KK doesn't want to play wing and didn't look good as a wing last year when he was moved there.

I would 100% do what you suggest but I don't know if it fits the time-frame of Carolina who wants to win now and the development of KK who wants to be a center now.

Tough one. But MTL should match and render all this moot.

I disagree, and think Peng is on the right track. If Mtl doesn’t match, Brindamour plus the Finnish cohorts will easily convince Kk to play ball and start at W, and it will both reduce pressure on him for this year and allow him to benefit from. having a strong Cman to learn from. Trocheck/Necas/KK would be a dynamic, excellent two-way line.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Kotkaniemi is not a defensive player. He was sheltered most of the season last year, as Tweeted by Dobber earlier this week.

I expect the Canes to move to a 3-line system and take advantage of their depth.

KK - Aho - Teravainen
    Necas - Trocheck - Neiderreiter
    Fast - Staal - Svechnikov

With a PP that includes Svech - Aho - Staal - Trocheck and PP2 that includes KK - Teravainen - Necas - Nino.

At least, that's what I'd do

(But again, I don't understand why Montreal would let KK go, unless the bridges are burnt between KK camp and MB's oversized ego)

14 Teams, PTS Only, Salary, Full Keep, Start 2G 6D 3C 3LW 3RW
    G- Gustafsson, Korpisalo, Woll
    D- Burns, Forsling, Brannstrom, Peru, Liljgren, Addison, ?, POJoseph, Jiricek
    C- Barkov, Eichel, Larkin, Nelson, Rossi
    LW- Marchessault, Zucc, Hagel, ?, Holtz
    RW- Terry, Tarasenko, Pavelski, Kakko, Brink

18 teams, PTS Only, Top G, Top4 D, Top10 F, Full Keep with a twist
    G- Shest, Luukkanen
    D- Seider Dunn Hedman Pionk Brannstrom Peru
    F- Scheifele Reinhart JT Miller Hyman Malkin Lindholm Zucc Giroux Marchmant Hartman Bjorkstrand Krebs T Raddysh Jeannot Brink Poulin Perreault Cristall

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Agree. It's quite realistic that Rod could start with an all-Finnish line1... putting Kotkaniemi with Aho & Teravainen.
    A LOT of coaches (and it trickles down especially to those that used to be players), try to kick-start a players confidence by putting them with two dynamic topliners.
    It also helps the GM and organization look great on that trade if the player jumps up to high pointage output.

So Kotka on the line1 wing is not completely inprobable.
    Players want minutes more than position. If he has a shot at even-strength line1 minutes... KK will be happy.

I think... in that CAR lockerroom, with 3 elder Finns... he'll be happy enough as is.
    The expectations in Montreal probably ate him up. I wouldn't want Bergevin flashing his muscles and eyes at me with that "Make my pick look worthwhile, damn it" look.

How many hours left for Montreal?
    Are they going to go all dramatic and wait until final hour???

Dobber Sports Monster

I’d guess Montreal has about 34 hours left at this point. I think it was announced at about 5:30 pm Sat so I’d think they have until then this Sat.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Hercules

Ya the Hurricanes twitter account announced the deal at 5:31pm, so a few minutes before that I'd assume was when it was official.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Pro

I totally agree with you guys that KK would probably slot in at W and that it would be the smart thing to do if the Habs don't match. But that doesn't magically solve the situation for Carolina.

It's easy to say "Well, he'll be happy with his fellow Fins, doesn't matter if he's on the W, it'll help his development". We've already seen KK flounder on the W and while his deployment was all over the place with Montreal, it doesn't bode well for him that the best case situation for him in Carolina is to start at the position he doesn't want to start.

It might work well in our minds and in our depth charts but that doesn't always translate to the ice.

If we were talking about a one-year deal at 1M$ for a UFA, then it'd be a great gamble by Carolina. But they're paying 6M$ for this while losing a 1st and 3rd. Could work out great but could also fail as well.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by niconasr View Post
    I totally agree with you guys that KK would probably slot in at W and that it would be the smart thing to do if the Habs don't match. But that doesn't magically solve the situation for Carolina.

It's easy to say "Well, he'll be happy with his fellow Fins, doesn't matter if he's on the W, it'll help his development". We've already seen KK flounder on the W and while his deployment was all over the place with Montreal, it doesn't bode well for him that the best case situation for him in Carolina is to start at the position he doesn't want to start.

It might work well in our minds and in our depth charts but that doesn't always translate to the ice.

If we were talking about a one-year deal at 1M$ for a UFA, then it'd be a great gamble by Carolina. But they're paying 6M$ for this while losing a 1st and 3rd. Could work out great but could also fail as well.
    Sometimes all it takes is for someone to show confidence in you, and some better linemates and your game gets elevated to another level.

Hercules

And MTL forwards aren't really built to make someone look good, or build a players confidence up based off of stats either. KK could have a big jump just being on a team that allows offense.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Monster

F16311A5-5414-4706-A63B-395E659C5421.jpeg

This was the moment I figured KK was as good as gone...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch