Thread: So trade two of my re-build is done...

The Great One

Default So trade two of my re-build is done...

After a cobntraversial gaudreau trade (for Holtz and tippett)- I just moved J Anderson and Suzuki (ouch) for Lafreniere. I know recency bias is NUTS in fantasy hockey- but going off what he projects to be I think I found a nice standard bearer for my re-build in Laffy. His poor play this year helps my draft stock next year and although I know Suzuki looks fantastic- he yechnically projects as more of a Bergeron type where Lafreniere should have a higher offensive ceiling.

The Seeker

Default Re: So trade two of my re-build is done...

You traded a 21 yr old for a 19 yr old. That's the way to get younger. Get the old dead wood off the roster. What season are you targeting to be done with this rebuild?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Seeker

Also - I did a big board look going back to the 2014 season (7 years) and Patrice Bergeron is top 20 in almost every offensive category across the board (G, A, PPP etc) and top 5 in SOG and +/-. In short he has been across the board fantasy gold. So I would not use him as an example of someone whose fantasy contribution should be regarded as un-important.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    You traded a 21 yr old for a 19 yr old. That's the way to get younger. Get the old dead wood off the roster. What season are you targeting to be done with this rebuild?
    2042!

I traded for more offensive upside- not because |Suzuki is old dead wood- didnt think I needed to spell that out. From now on Ill be more clear I guess...

The Great One

Im gonna bookmark this page. I cant wait til Laffy- explodes next year and the hypes died down a bit aorund Suzuki- lmao!!

The Seeker

Must be interesting to be in a league where you roster one player!
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

The Great One

SAIS THE GUY IN A KEEP 3

The Seeker

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    SAIS THE GUY IN A KEEP 3
    That doesn't make any sense.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think Suzuki and Anderson is a very high price to pay for Laf right now, especially because this is buy low season on him. I'm not convinced he will be better than Suzuki, let alone the combo of him and Anderson. You are aiming too young. In a rebuild you should hold all guys 25 or younger imo as you should complete a rebuild in no more than 3 years.
    16 Team H2H Cats Salary Cap Dynasty
    25 Roster, 25 Minors - 4C,4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 5B
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups - Min. 2G starts p/w

Skaters: G=2/A=2/PPP=2/SOG/Hits/Blks/FO%-C/TOI=2
    Goalies: W=2/GAA/SV%/SHO

C: Zibanejad, JT Miller, RNH, Kadri
    LW: Landeskog, Teravainen, Hertl, Ehlers
    RW: Pastrnak, Meier, Fiala, Bjorkstrand
    D: Dahlin, Barrie, S.Jones, Pulock, Dumba, Ghost
    G: Blackwood, Sorokin
    B: Palmieri, Beauvillier, Dadonov, Hintz, Romanov

Dobber Sports Ace

Not sure about categories, but I'm going to side with emu here. I'd want laffy as I still see him becoming a top line top tier option. I think his upside is much higher so, in a rebuild, I would think you're looking for top end talent, wherever possible, and to me that's laffy.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm not sure if I like the deal or not, as I'm not in the league to judge. Seems reasonable.

I'm in leagues where I wouldn't do it (a very gritty multicat where a healthy Anderson is great) and leagues where I'd take that shot (my points only league in sig, where I can find adequate scoring easily)

Most recent Emu sighting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdH_Pbili4
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'm not sure if I like the deal or not, as I'm not in the league to judge. Seems reasonable.

I'm in leagues where I wouldn't do it (a very gritty multicat where a healthy Anderson is great) and leagues where I'd take that shot (my points only league in sig, where I can find adequate scoring easily)

Most recent Emu sighting:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdH_Pbili4
    Oh I agree entirely! Im in leagues where Anderson would be a beast with hits and pims. The league Im referring too really favors shooters and goal scorers. I Love me some Anderson and even if he settles in as a 30 goal scorer with 240ish sogs shich I think is doable- I still think one superstar (again with the supposition that Laf reaches his upside)- would be worth more. I gambled for sure but I feel like having a potential superstar to carry your rebuild in a very limited keeper is better than two potential stars who have their own question marks.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Oh I agree entirely! Im in leagues where Anderson would be a beast with hits and pims. The league Im referring too really favors shooters and goal scorers. I Love me some Anderson and even if he settles in as a 30 goal scorer with 240ish sogs shich I think is doable- I still think one superstar (again with the supposition that Laf reaches his upside)- would be worth more. I gambled for sure but I feel like having a potential superstar to carry your rebuild in a very limited keeper is better than two potential stars who have their own question marks.
    This is what makes you such a fun fantasy manager Emu. I personally love your wheelin' and dealin' style - and wish more GMs would gamble like you do.

The bolded above, to me, is EXACTLY the strategy you want to employ with a rebuild like yours. In a limited keeper, you want to acquire the highest ceiling guys as your core. And a guy like Laf is precisely the buy-low target you want to aim for.

Buuuuut... the disconnect, as others mentioned, is that you didn't get an optimal (buy-low) price tag for your purchase. You still paid a bit of a premium giving up Suzuki/Anderson. Doesn't mean it still wasn't worth it - just that the price paid doesn't equate to "buying low". You "bought". Nothing wrong with that, but also not a deal that can be hugely lauded simply because of the price paid. The theory is (very) sound. The execution could perhaps use a bit of refining.

I remember reading not that long ago about the price you paid to acquire Suzuki (likely in a different league) as you were rightfully really high on him. As others have alluded to, if you just flip from "upside guy" to "upside guy", giving up the last upside guy for the latest, it's not an ideal cycle to actually "build" anything.

Identify your "upside targets" you want, deal your veterans for them where you can, and hold whichever targets you've been able to acquire along with your draft picks. Then, feel free to deal your non-keeper set at will to feed your trade-heavy style.

Most GMs I know are overly risk-averse, so I think you're at an advantage having the courage to take risks that others won't through trades. But that advantage disappears if there aren't any boundaries/strategy around it.

Keep being you - it's awesome - and stay open to the really smart advice other Dobberites offer... then you get the best of both worlds!
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Pro

I like the Lafreniere trade for you. I think in a couple years this'll look like two solid dudes for a superstar. Exactly the kind of trade you want to make in a limited keeper, especially in a year when you're not competing.
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6,7
    '25 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd /// ‘26 - 2 Extra 1sts, 2 Extra 2nds
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk