Thread: Observations from my one yr. draft (re: mistakes made)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Observations from my one yr. draft (re: mistakes made)

I have been in hockey pools for over 30 years (yes, I am old). Been in this long standing pool, no positional requirements, 2 pts/G, 1 pt/A.
    14 team, 12 players per team draft

For anyone new in a snake draft, here is where I need to make sure this doesn't happen again.
    1. Don't take rookies. I took Laffreniere in the 11th round. Big mistake. Suzuki went next. I don't need to tell you what a disappointment Laffy is.
    No more rookies.

2. Took Lindblom in my 10th round. He played such few games last year, I could have gotten him in the last round. Many of my competitors wouldn't even have them on their list as a result. And his deployment leads me to my next point.

3.Don't take players who aren't on the 1st PP. I took Beauvillier with my last pick. Now here's been injuried, but he was not likely to ever get any 1st line deployment. I should have looked at Arizona and grabbed Dvorak, Garland or Schmaltz, who all play 1st PP.

My first 10 picks were solid, but that isn't enough. Every pool I have ever won, or finished in the money, had me make more solid picks on the back end of the draft. In short, don't go for home run swings, unless you feel you need to. Go for safer options. If I had done that, I would feel a whole lot better about my team.

Just wanted to pass on any minimal wisdom I have picked up over the years (and especially this year). Don't make the same mistakes I made.
    Brohood

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Observations from my one yr. draft (re: mistakes made)

Very wise advice.

Yep in yearly leagues I try for a max of 2 upside picks and just let all of the value players fall to me. Or at least I try to. It's always tempting when you're on the clock.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I took Laf with my last pick as well. With Olofsson, Fiala, Hertl, etc still on the board. Been doing pools a long time too, but I apparently don't know what I'm doing!
    One Year. 11 teams. Points only. G=1. A=1. GWG=1. W=2. SO=3
    8 F, 4D, 2G. 5 drops all year. ***NO BENCH, NO IR, SWAP D for D, F for F, G for G ONLY***
    F: P Kane, Wheeler, Kucherov, Malkin, Batherson, Crosby, Eichel, Point
    D: Carlson, Q Hughes, Barrie, Karlsson
    G: Demko, Ullmark

Dobber Sports Sophomore

misery loves company. No more bling-bling rookies for me. Let someone else take the risk. And I'm also a believer in the sophmore jinx. It's real.

Dobber Sports Stud

Another lesson I learned years ago in one year points only pools is stay away from D-men. There are exceptions of course, but they are far and few between. Makar, Hughes & Carlson come to mind but my guess is you could walk away with a better F than any others I haven't mentioned.