Thread: Talk me off the ledge!?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Talk me off the ledge!?

Hey all,

Had an idea this morning, most likely because I'm getting anxious for our draft and the season to start.

My Crosby + 10th overall for His Larkin and 2nd overall

My reasoning is I'd shed $2,6M in cap space and be assured of drafting Guentzel since Lafrenière is going 1st. I also have 7th oa and could get one of Werenski, Konecny, Connor or Fiala.

Completely crazy or not?

Thanks!
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Talk me off the ledge!?

Who else is available in your draft (who could you get at 10?) And who else is on the market trade wise?

Dobber Sports Pro

Because connor is a great add at 7 for sure...its a tough call so just want to know more

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    Who else is available in your draft (who could you get at 10?) And who else is on the market trade wise?
    Trade wise not sure anything is worth it if not getting 2nd overall (Guentzel). GM that has Larkin also has Gaudreau.

List of players I find interesting left to draft would be, for varying reasons (point output, cap space, keeper potential etc)
    Guentzel, Connor, Konecny, Fiala, Kaprizov, Garland, Ehlers, Mantha, Buchnevich, Laine, Beauvillier, Werenski, Sergachev, Eckholm, Byram, Ty Smith, Valimaki, Dobson.

2nd team in sig. I'm pretty tight against the cap going into draft so very limited in salaries I can take up.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Pro

Don't do it! Come down from that ledge. I'd rather have Crosby & Connor. If you DO make a trade, get Gaudreau instead of Larkin maybe?
    12 Team Keep 6: G/A:1 W/SO:2
    C - McDavid, Matthews
    LW - Draisaitl
    RW - ​​Marner
    D - Dahlin, Morrissey
    G -
    B -

12 Team Keep 10 (& 5 Minors)
    : G/A/OTL:1 W:2 SO:3
    '24 Picks (16 Rounds) - 1,1,1,2,2,3,3,3,5,5,6,6,7
    '25 - Extra 1st, Extra 2nd /// ‘26 - 2 Extra 1sts, 2 Extra 2nds
    F - ​McDavid, Rantanen, Point, Aho, M. Tkachuk
    D - Bouchard, Dobson, Matheson
    G - Vasilevskiy, Markstrom
    B -
    M - Michkov, Perreault, Hutson, Nikishin, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Padawan

Agreed with above. I’d rather have Crosby and Connor

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like that option too but it comes down to cap issues. Already pushing it as is and will need to grab some great low $$$ contracts. Keeping Crosby I've pretty much decided to not exceed $6M on a new player.

Guess the comparison could be Crosby + Konecny/Werenski + Fiala/Kaprizov/Garland or Larkin + Guentzel + Werenski/Connor

Dobber Sports Pro

It comes out pretty even points wise IF Larkin gets you 70 points.... thats the way I see it

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd pass on that, since Guentzel may slide down, and you can try and do better in a deal. Can you trade at the draft?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks all. Will hold onto Crosby unless I think of something better or get a better offer. Draft is in 10 days.

@stevegame : Trading at draft is possible but hasn't been done since start of this league (4 years).

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Thanks all. Will hold onto Crosby unless I think of something better or get a better offer. Draft is in 10 days.

@stevegame : Trading at draft is possible but hasn't been done since start of this league (4 years).
    Time to start something new! Seriously, where do you expect Guentzel to go in the draft? If you pick a spot, you could sort of have a framework for an offer without mentioning who you are targeting, and have it ready to go.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Time to start something new! Seriously, where do you expect Guentzel to go in the draft? If you pick a spot, you could sort of have a framework for an offer without mentioning who you are targeting, and have it ready to go.
    I expect him to be drafted before my turn at 7th overall almost certainly. Wouldn't be surprised if guy picking 2nd overall takes him. His kind of player. Players at his cap hit, his age, with a few years left on contract that can produce at a point per game pace are really sought after in my league.

Will try to pry out some info from other GMs before draft and look at possibly trading up at draft if I feel it's a good move.

We'll see how things develop. I always plan a few different ways of drafting (when to draft forwards, Ds, Gs, what type of salaries etc) so I can adjust on the fly when certain players are taken.
    Last edited by pumpkinxyz; December 31, 2020 at 9:48 AM. Reason: Answered before coffee :)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Looking back on this as my draft was today. First round really caught me off guard... but I did end up getting Guentzel without having to lose anything. This is how it played out.

1) Lafreniere
    2) Stutzle
    3) Kaprizov
    4) Garland
    5) Vilardi
    6) Koskinen (???)
    7) Guentzel (me)

All these low salary guys getting picked when I was the one with the highest amount of $$$ protected and needed those...conspiracy!!!

Bolded players in signature should be my starting lineup with barely a few hundred thousand $$$ left on the cap. We have 10 trades for FAs available for the season. Can also move players from bench to starting lineup 10 times during season. Season long pts only (not H2H).

Here's the rest of my draft if anyone would care to comment!? Anything you'd want to change off the bat? Trade? Drop?

Guentzel
    Zadina
    Ty Smith
    Bear
    Buchnevich
    Beauvillier
    Saros
    Byfield
    Kahun
    Zegras
    Kubalik
    Cal Petersen
    Byram
    Perunovich

You nailed that draft.

Guentzel at 7.
    Lots of good value players.
    Saros/Petersen as backups in net. Nice values.
    You got Byfeld & Zegras ridiculously late, Byram may help down the road as well.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    You nailed that draft.

Guentzel at 7.
    Lots of good value players.
    Saros/Petersen as backups in net. Nice values.
    You got Byfeld & Zegras ridiculously late, Byram may help down the road as well.
    Good to hear because I'm really not sure myself. I drafted very differently than what I had been planning for months.

Happy getting Guentzel... BUT I think I should have taken Fiala instead at 7 and still have a chance at Guentzel at 10 (if not Konecny and Connor were available)

Satisfied with my goalies as this year more than ever I didn't want to reach for one or pay big dollars.

Although I like Byfield and his potential I think this year is too early to actually have drafted him in my league. We use AAV so he costs $3.575M. I am also in win now and I doubt he'll be useful for that as I don't think he'll stick in the NHL this season.