Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should I trade Byfield?

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Should I trade Byfield?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Byfield really didn't impress me at the WJC. I know it's a short tournament, but it isn't his lack of production that bothered me. It was his lack of engagement, lack of elite skills, lack of elite skating, lack of an elite shot, lack of physicality, and pretty much everything else I look for in a prospect.

The only thing that impressed me about Byfield is his cycling game down low, which is to be expected for a big-bodied player. Otherwise, I just didn't see anything at all that makes me think Byfield will become any better than someone like Kevin Hayes.
    It's funny because the one thing that really impressed me was his elite skating. The kid was flying out there and engaging players everywhere physically. He might not have scored a bunch but his skating was the one thing that really stood out for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's funny because the one thing that really impressed me was his elite skating. The kid was flying out there and engaging players everywhere physically. He might not have scored a bunch but his skating was the one thing that really stood out for me.
    In the three games I watched involving Canada, Byfield looked out of place, didn't show any physicality besides one big hit, and did not impress me at all with his skating. He seemed very slow and awkward. Truthfully, he was mostly invisible in the games I watched (note that I did not watch the game in which he had 5 pts).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Hercules

In the three games I watched involving Canada, Byfield looked out of place, didn't show any physicality besides one big hit, and did not impress me at all with his skating. He seemed very slow and awkward. Truthfully, he was mostly invisible in the games I watched (note that I did not watch the game in which he had 5 pts).
    I think he got better throughout the tournament, but by the Gold medal game he was where I was expecting him to be in the first game of the tournament.

He could be a slow development in the NHL and become a top power forward, but I think it's a slow development. Which isn't unfamiliar with these larger guys growing into their bodies.

In fantasy, I rather not deal with owning him and hoping he develops in 3yrs than holding him and missing out on guys like Stuetzle who I think will have a much more rapid fantasy development.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    Util:
    G:

Dobber Sports Deity

Well I watched every Canadian game from puck drop to the final whistle and we saw different things I guess.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Completely agree. His skating was terrible. I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that he was impressive in this tournament.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs2010 View Post
    Completely agree. His skating was terrible. I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face that he was impressive in this tournament.
    I've got a straight face.

The Great One

Well I watched every Canadian game from puck drop to the final whistle and we saw different things I guess.
    I know you're an astute hockey guy, Axe, so I was curious why you saw things differently that I did.

I went over to HFBoards just now and quickly skimmed through the last few pages of Byfield's thread, and based on what I saw, it is clear that Byfield's performance was very polarizing. There are a lot of people who think Byfield's performance was underwhelming, and just as many who think he played well. Very interesting.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Deity

I'm just going with what I saw with my own two eyes. I found his skating and pick chasing to be excellent. He played a physical game without the puck.

Last year he was a 17 year old playing in a 19 year old tournament. He was barely used and you could tell by his overall game play.

This year, he was an 18 year old (again, the youngest player on the team) playing in a 19 year old tournament. His role increased this year but he was still considered to be "secondary" scoring on this deep team. At least he got PP2 time, as limited as that was.

Much like you didn't see things, I saw plenty. Don't get me wrong, I expected more offense too but again, a very deep roster and he wasn't the key part. I'm hoping he gets to come back as a 19 year old next year, where he will no longer be the youngest player on the team and have an increased role to showcase his talent.

To those jumping off the hype train, good riddance. See ya in a few years. I'm assuming they are jumping because he didn't lead the team in scoring.

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm just going with what I saw with my own two eyes. I found his skating and pick chasing to be excellent. He played a physical game without the puck.

Last year he was a 17 year old playing in a 19 year old tournament. He was barely used and you could tell by his overall game play.

This year, he was an 18 year old (again, the youngest player on the team) playing in a 19 year old tournament. His role increased this year but he was still considered to be "secondary" scoring on this deep team. At least he got PP2 time, as limited as that was.

Much like you didn't see things, I saw plenty. Don't get me wrong, I expected more offense too but again, a very deep roster and he wasn't the key part. I'm hoping he gets to come back as a 19 year old next year, where he will no longer be the youngest player on the team and have an increased role to showcase his talent.

To those jumping off the hype train, good riddance. See ya in a few years. I'm assuming they are jumping because he didn't lead the team in scoring.
    correct me if I’m wrong but I think he was still the youngest on the team...

imliked Stutzle more even before draft but by field will be a stud
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Pro

Alot of this lol. A tournament is just a tournament. Overreacting will lead to HUGE mistakes.