Thread: Schneider, Pavelec or Varlamov?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Schneider, Pavelec or Varlamov?

Which of these three goalies would you go with? The rest of the quality prospect goalies are already taken.

Schneider has Luongo in front of him but Vancouver can trade him because of his insane trade value.

Pavelec is to me the less skilled of the three, but still a pretty solid prospect. How far away is he from a starter job with Lehtonen in front of him?

Varlamov is pretty much just waiting for Kolzig to hang it up, but he has Neuvirth to contend with.

Neither of these goalies have a very clear way to a starter job, so who do I go with?
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re:Schneider, Pavelec or Varlamov?

id go with Varlamov because of the three hes the only one without a super star infront of him but im a bit biased because ive always like Varlamov and didnt care for the other two that much. Personnally if i had Schneider and Pav id deal them both for Varlamov

Dobber Sports Ninja

I like Schneider the best for sure but Varlamov is going to have the best chance of playing sooner.

If you\'re willing to wait for Schneider to be traded (or Luongo to mysteriously dissappear in a freak skydiving accident) then I say grab him.

Dobber Sports Stud

Hello sentium and newelky:

I would go Schneider, Varlamov, Pavelec.

Schneider as he will be the backup to Luongo. He will learn from Luongo and there will be demand for Schneider in trade. I think that he becomes a starter before Varlamov or Pavelec.

Varlamov is behind Kolzig, who is probably going to play another couple years, and the Iron Curtain. I do like him alot but he is a couple years away, in my opinion.

Pavelec has had good reviews, particularly from Patrick Roy. He is also several years away.

Is Thomas Greiss available to you? He could very well be the backup to Nabakov. He is young and highly rated.

Another guy might be Thomas Hiller. He could very well become the backup to Giguere once Bryzgalov is traded.

My thoughts.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Pavelec is the most underrated goalie prospect out there. If Lehtonen goes down, I can see Atlanta giving Pavelec a shot. He has been the best goalie in the Q in back to back seasons. He had a rough 1st half, but was BY FAR the best goalie in the entire CHL in the 2nd half of the season. For me it goes..

Pavelec
    Varlamov
    Schneider

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Pavelec got picked, which pretty much forced my hand into taking Varlamov, so I did.

Now I\'ve been thinking a bit about the future of Washington\'s goaltending, seeing as the also have Neuvirth as a solid prospect. How wise would it be to lock up both Varlamov and Neuvirth? Or should I maybe look at guys like Enroth or Hiller instead? If I have both Varlamov and Neuvirth, I could have Washington\'s goaltending for years locked up. Okay, long shot, but it\'s possible
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Pro

sentium wrote:
    Pavelec got picked, which pretty much forced my hand into taking Varlamov, so I did.

Now I\'ve been thinking a bit about the future of Washington\'s goaltending, seeing as the also have Neuvirth as a solid prospect. How wise would it be to lock up both Varlamov and Neuvirth? Or should I maybe look at guys like Enroth or Hiller instead? If I have both Varlamov and Neuvirth, I could have Washington\'s goaltending for years locked up. Okay, long shot, but it\'s possible
    It would give you a starter goalie of the future in Washington. I could see, at the worst case, one of them flunking out, but there\'s no way both will. One will at least be a very solid starter in the NHL, and locking both of the Washington pair up is a great idea.

That said, Jhonas Enroth is one of my favourite prospects out there. He clouds my judgement(from the sheer joy it is seeing him play, he\'s just really great) and I\'m always scared of picking him for the thought of jinxing him. Enroth should repay you in spades if you draft him though.

I\'m not too big on Hiller. He could end up to be another Bryzgalov, but I set his ceiling at that. He\'ll be one of the best backups, and will be able to start a team for about 45 games, but don\'t ask for much more. AKA another John Grahame clone(in terms of upside), but more skilled.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

After watching games 1 and 3 of the \"super\" series, does anyone have a changed opinion of varlamov or does his defence just suck? Do you figure that russia will send a better team to the world juniors or is this all they\'ve got?
    Back to the original question, my ranking of the three goalies is schneider, varlamov, and then pavelec...I think for me the verdict is out on pavelec, I\'m curious to see if he comes to training camp in better shape this year just to prove that last year was a one off sort of thing.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Well, the russian defensemen weren\'t really of the defensive kind. Canada was skating through them pretty much as they pleased. Varlamov made some good saves, but also let in soft goals. I guess he just had a couple of bad games. It happens.
    GO WINGS!

typo88

I dont think you can fairly judge the russian goaltenders from this series, canada just iced a FAR superior team, and is most likely going to continue to embarass russia back in Canada.