Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: The Seattle Kraken

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: The Seattle Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I just jumped in here. I didn't read the replies but was just wondering what the f**k is a 'Kraken'?? Am I supposed to know?? I honestly can say that i've never heard that word before except maybe for 'Ernie McCraken" from the movie Kingpin. If I didn't see the spelling, I would have thought that it maybe had something to do with eggs. Like, 'get Craken'. This sounds dumber than the 'Redblacks'.
    If only there were some sort of method to type a word in and immediately get responses back on an electronic screen that would tell you what a word might mean or a certain thing might be. Someone should invent that...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

I just jumped in here. I didn't read the replies but was just wondering what the f**k is a 'Kraken'?? Am I supposed to know?? I honestly can say that i've never heard that word before except maybe for 'Ernie McCraken" from the movie Kingpin. If I didn't see the spelling, I would have thought that it maybe had something to do with eggs. Like, 'get Craken'. This sounds dumber than the 'Redblacks'.
    If they had to choose a name with 100% public recognition they would be very limited in options (The Seattle Ronald McDonald's? The Seattle Santa Clause's?). I guarantee there are plenty of people who don't know what a "Sockeye" or a "Totem" is either, and I think the vast majority of adults have at least a rough idea as to what a Kraken is.

Dobber Sports Icon

I love the logos, I like the colors and the jerseys but I hate the name. Why choose a name that has nothing to do with Seattle, the Pacifiic Northwest or even the Pacific Ocean?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I love the logos, I like the colors and the jerseys but I hate the name. Why choose a name that has nothing to do with Seattle, the Pacifiic Northwest or even the Pacific Ocean?
    I think you could make this complaint with roughly 70% of sports teams names.

Is Atlanta known for Falcons?

Vegas for Knights?

Phoenix for Coyotes?

etc. etc. etc.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post

Phoenix for Coyotes?

etc. etc. etc.
    Uhh yeah. Where do you think Wylie Coyote was chasing the RoadRunner? It sure as heck wasn't Maine or Alabama...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Icon

Vegas for Knights?

Phoenix for Coyotes?

etc. etc. etc.
    Georgia has lots of falcons. They have crested caracaras, American kestrels, merlins and peregrine falcons.

Vegas has lots of knights. There are knights at Excalibur, the Tournament of Kings, the annual Age of Chivalry - Renaissance Festival.

Arizona has lots of coyotes. Approximately 200,000 of them according to recent studies.

There are lots of other sports names that don't go with the geographical area and I don't like those names either.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Georgia has lots of falcons. They have crested caracaras, American kestrels, merlins and peregrine falcons.

Vegas has lots of knights. There are knights at Excalibur, the Tournament of Kings, the annual Age of Chivalry - Renaissance Festival.

Arizona has lots of coyotes. Approximately 200,000 of them according to recent studies.

There are lots of other sports names that don't go with the geographical area and I don't like those names either.
    You can just as easily loosely connect Kraken to Seattle, if that's how nebulous you want to go.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Vegas for Knights?

Phoenix for Coyotes?

etc. etc. etc.
    Most names I am pretty OK with. Some have some lose geographic affiliation with their home city, many do not.

The only ones I really cannot stand are those that move cities and kept their rather specifically geographic team names... the NBA is the worst offender with the (Minneapolis) Los Angeles Lakers, (New Orleans) Utah Jazz and (Vancouver) Memphis Grizzlies.

in the NHL looking at you (Atlanta) Calgary Flames.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    It's a mythic Norse sea-monster.
    Thank you Dennis! I know I could have looked it up, but I was hoping that I could get the relationship between the name and the city along with the meaning.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    What about this hockey legend

For sure! 😂

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    If only there were some sort of method to type a word in and immediately get responses back on an electronic screen that would tell you what a word might mean or a certain thing might be. Someone should invent that...
    If only.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    If they had to choose a name with 100% public recognition they would be very limited in options (The Seattle Ronald McDonald's? The Seattle Santa Clause's?). I guarantee there are plenty of people who don't know what a "Sockeye" or a "Totem" is either, and I think the vast majority of adults have at least a rough idea as to what a Kraken is.
    'Sockeye' or 'Totem' makes more sense to me.

Dobber Sports Star

'Sockeye' or 'Totem' makes more sense to me.
    A closer relation to Seattle maybe, but a Kraken is formidable at least. You can't deny it's a pretty bad-ass mythological creature.

Also to the point of not knowing the meaning of the name, I probably wouldn't know what a "Bruin" was without the Boston Bruins...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    A closer relation to Seattle maybe, but a Kraken is formidable at least. You can't deny it's a pretty bad-ass mythological creature.

Also to the point of not knowing the meaning of the name, I probably wouldn't know what a "Bruin" was without the Boston Bruins...
    Go Kraken Go!

Dobber Sports Ninja

They actually went with Kraken? Lmao...